What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Macbaren golden extra in this cob on the way to the river this morning.

20210917_101444.jpg

Tried some of The Briary's Burley Extra blend in my MM hardwood. I finally got a good smoke from this pipe, which first taunted me with the burning wood aroma (which I was prepared for), then its stummel came loose from the bowl and had to be re-glued. And then I could never get a long smoke from the Gentleman Caller I'd bought to smoke in it. The Burley Extra worked much better than that leaf has for me.

I officiated a wedding last evening in eastern Oklahoma near Lake Ten Killer, a beautiful spot. On the 7.25 hour drive home today, I smoked a number of pipes, that I don’t recall the exact pipe and tobacco combinations. This evening I’m smoking WC Persian Slipper in a Four Dot Sasieni Regent, a lovely old bent billiard that was restored by Anthony Cook. Next I’m smoking WC The Churchwarden in an old Savinelli Punto Oro Mister G 114 KS. Glenfiddich 12 on the side.
proxy.php

A soft smoke this am: Sir Walter Regular in my slim Stanwell billiard. Thirty minutes w/ 3 relights, and no tongue bite (which SWR has never given me) or throat dryness. I was considering mixing in a little black Cavendish from my years-ago store, once I'd dried it out . . . but I didn't want to chance spoiling the Sir Walter experience for a Saturday morning. Perhaps I'll try it tomorrow.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
image.jpg

Smoking in the dark lol. Breaking in the deluxe 2s with some Haunted Bookshop. I’m pretty sure this is one of those stain dipped pipe as the bowl coating was a shiny and flakes off when I prodded it. Definitely tastes off too. Other than that it smokes really well. And after trying to improve my stuff and fold technique coming back to a ribbon is nice.

An experiment this morning: some Carter Hall mixed with a bit of the black Cavendish I have left over from my earlier smoking days. The Cavendish is a little too goopy to smoke without drying and, in my experience so far, to smoke by itself. A 70-30 mix dried overnight went into my Jeantet billiard, the smooth one with the horn stem. A good 30-minute smoke resulted. The Jeantet is a substantial billiard without being heavy, and the horn stem feels right in my teeth. Plus the Cavendish kept the CH from getting hot or giving a "cigarette" vibe.

My first fresh tin of 2021, some 2014/15 Bracken Flake @RazorbackFan in a 2015 Peterson 05.
Quite wet when I opened it. I gave it 15 minutes dry time which was insufficient. Lots of relights and only hints of the flavor lost in all the puffing. I haven’t smoked the pipe an awful lot before as well so all in all a meh user performance. Next time I will pack in the evening to smoke it the next day.
78E25467-F493-40C0-9D25-198328CB174A.jpeg

Second (afternoon) bowl was the Amphora Kentucky in a fresh James Fox Bent Apple. This might be a Peterson product as it looks quite like a 03. A broken Flake not to wet and easy to pack. It has a full/rounded nutty flavor and not much smokiness compared to dark fired Kentucky cigars (Toscano). First half of the bowl worked well then I hit a spot and had to dump out the ash for a major relight. I guess I tamped again to heavy handed. Overall I like the shape and the thick walls as well as the leaf. I will stay with it for the next bowls until it is smoked in.
524F400E-9EEF-4D48-8627-5D86C0DAD8D0.jpeg

Top Bottom