What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

I went the 80s route, but those 999’s are lookers.
I still can't decide which style I like better haha. I think if I had to choose between them both I would go 80s as well. The squared off shank of the classic bulldog is a bit more agressive and transitions a bit better into the bowl shape. But they both are really nice.

I still can't decide which style I like better haha. I think if I had to choose between them both I would go 80s as well. The squared off shank of the classic bulldog is a bit more agressive and transitions a bit better into the bowl shape. But they both are really nice.
Christmas be comin' . . . Perhaps a Peterson Irish Army Mount is in my future, or the Mycroft Sherlock Holmes . . .

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
A little change of pace this morning, some H&H in a Sav Tre KS with morning coffee. Not bad at all. Although I prefer the straighter Burleys a little more with the early java. Old habits.

I’ll probably change lanes for the afternoon and evening puffs. But who knows?

SWR in a Peterson pipe. Lovely day outside!

3D8FC2B3-F4A8-45C8-9BC4-A66B138A7688.jpeg

MM Mark Twain stuffed with Sir Walter Raleigh
First time smoking SWR, I enjoyed it but I'm going to have to smoke this blend a few more times and in different pipes.
I will say that just a pinch of some black cavendish would pair very nicely with this.
A very good idea. I have some black Cavendish as well as Sir Walter. Perhaps I'll dry out a quantity of each, esp. the Cavendish (which is faintly sticky to the touch), and make up a mixture next week.

I'm back home, and this afternoon I treated myself to a classic smoke. The pipe: my Peterson 307, the "Sherlock" pipe from the '80s. The leaf: Half & Half, nicely dried out for an hour on a saucer in the kitchen. Most important, perhaps, is that I used wooden matches again for the first time in a while. I can light up indoors, away from the wind, and so don't need the Zippo lighter. The Zippo worked fine, and did not impart any odd taste to the burley I was smoking in the Mastercraft billiard I bought in Birmingham. But I firmly believe that the wooden match allows me to light the surface of the tobacco more thoroughly and evenly.

Anyway: a very good smoke, close to 40 minutes with 3 relights, no overheating. The bowl of the Peterson, I note once again, absorbs heat very well and never gets uncomfortably warm to hold, and therefore, I suspect, does not let my leaf burn too hot.

Last edited:
Irish Condor Plug in a Falcon
I botched the prep and struggled with relights throughout the bowl, got it to hot, uneven burn etc…
So again one step forward and two back :pipe:
Next time I’ll try to cut it in cubes.
View attachment 1326887
I like a bigger knife for plugs. Doesn't have be big, just bigger than most pocket knives. I have used my EDC Spyderco to cut a plug but prefer a Green Mountain blade blank I threw some scales on. Its probably a 4.5" blade. I know some will take it to use a short chef knife, santoku or nakiri. To each their own and what you have on you!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I like a bigger knife for plugs. Doesn't have be big, just bigger than most pocket knives. I have used my EDC Spyderco to cut a plug but prefer a Green Mountain blade blank I threw some scales on. Its probably a 4.5" blade. I know some will take it to use a short chef knife, santoku or nakiri. To each their own and what you have on you!

A ... I always get the number wrong, forgive me ... CL-29(?) Camillus electricians knife, is my tobacco knife.

1) Good sturdy pocket knife, which will trim plug
2) The spear blade is good as a spatula for dispensing snuff from jars into snuffboxes
3) The recess on the back of the electricians blade (to give access to the cutting blade nail nick) is perfect for cracking open vacuum sealed tins, be they round tins, or the corners of the rectangular tins.
4) On the rare occasion that the tin lid does put up too much of a fight, the driver tip poked up halfway along the long edge of the lid, can release a bit of the pressure difference, to make it a more even fight.

Indeed as the plug gets smaller it gets harder to hold and cut. I'll switch to a small fixed blade then - there are plenty around :c1:

Top Bottom