What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Thanks! No, not yet, sadly. I can't seem to get my camera and my USB cable in the same spot at the same time and I don't have a smartphone at the moment.
It sounds like a nice pipe, enjoy!

Reamed out my pipe and smoked some C&D Strathspay. It sure fits a lot more tobacco now.
LOL how much cake did you remove?

Mac Baren Navy Flake in a Peterson 302

Some 2001-dated McClelland 25th Anniversary (yes, the anniversary label says 2002, but the tins were packed in fall of '01) in a plateau Karl Erik freehand. Celebrating the lopsided victory of Baltimore over KC and the fortuitous win of the Jets over Indy. Hot gen-mai cha (green tea with toasted puffed rice) on the side.

proxy.php

Such a shame that Mr. Ottendahl is no longer with us. He made very nice pipes from very good wood at extraordinarily reasonable prices.

A self-made blend of PS Proper English and Peterson's Old Dublin with just a touch of Lane BCA in my Dr. Grabow Freehand. A very, very nice smoke.

Randy's Tobacco "Bahama Mama" in a "angelo" pipe.

Anyone else try this tobacco brand or have an opinion? The 8 samples sample pack looks interesting.

Judging from their website its one of their house brands and is likely a rebranded bulk. Apparently most house brands are, not that it's a bad thing if it's good stuff. I'd probably ask the proprieter, but they're under no obligation to spill the beans if it is.

Lane 1Q in a MM Country Gentleman.

Judging from their website its one of their house brands and is likely a rebranded bulk. Apparently most house brands are, not that it's a bad thing if it's good stuff. I'd probably ask the proprieter, but they're under no obligation to spill the beans if it is.

Lane 1Q in a MM Country Gentleman.

Thanks; I may look into it. Their 50th Anniversary (I think that's what it is) and Amaretto are nice, but I have yet to fall in love with any pipe tobacco that I can call "my brand."

Thanks; I may look into it. Their 50th Anniversary (I think that's what it is) and Amaretto are nice, but I have yet to fall in love with any pipe tobacco that I can call "my brand."
Don't be afraid to "make" your own! You may try several and say, "x is missing a certain something that y has and vice versa" and those things may complement each other and if you buy a few ounces of each you can play with percentages and come up with your own.

Taking some advice from tobaccoreviews.com I blended Lane BCA and 1-Q 50/50 and have found a perfect smoke for me. I call it my "house blend" that I share with others and enjoy immensely when I want something light and aromatic yet flavorful. Give it a try!

Don't be afraid to "make" your own! You may try several and say, "x is missing a certain something that y has and vice versa" and those things may complement each other and if you buy a few ounces of each you can play with percentages and come up with your own.

Taking some advice from tobaccoreviews.com I blended Lane BCA and 1-Q 50/50 and have found a perfect smoke for me. I call it my "house blend" that I share with others and enjoy immensely when I want something light and aromatic yet flavorful. Give it a try!

Hmmm... not a bad idea. I may try that with some left over samples I have.

Question for all: does "house" and "bulk tobacco" necessarily or at least generally, mean "low quality"? I suppose that will depend on the blender, but I guess the question is... is it worth spending time with those or should I stick to the commercial "name brand" stuff?

Question for all: does "house" and "bulk tobacco" necessarily or at least generally, mean "low quality"? I suppose that will depend on the blender, but I guess the question is... is it worth spending time with those or should I stick to the commercial "name brand" stuff?

I've never had any luck with house blends in my area, but I've only tried a few. In fact, I wish I hadn't started with local bulk tobaccos, as it nearly turned me off to the whole thing. That said, I'm sure there's some good ones out there, and some tobacconists may actually make their own blends rather than re-labeling commercial bulks. Boswell comes to mind.

Many of the very best tobaccos around are sold in bulk some exclusively so. Some examples are Samuel Gawith, Gawith and Hoggarth, Cornell and Diehl, McClelland and Peter Stokkeby. Some tobacconists Like Pipes and Cigars still employ a proper house blender who creates special blends from high quality materials, as opposed to the Lane mash-ups some retail stores call blending.

No offense intended for those that like to experiment with there own mash-ups, I happen to be one of them but I don't confuse myself with those who spend the time, effort, and experience to become a master blender. Just as I love cooking and I do pretty well, but I don't call myself chef.

I suppose that will depend on the blender, but I guess the question is... is it worth spending time with those or should I stick to the commercial "name brand" stuff?
Name brand has the advantage of being widely available and gives you more options. A lot of those bulks found on places like pipesandcigars are very good and are made by reputable companies. You might find the exact same thing you are smoking there, under a different (and more widely recognizable) name. Lane Limited '1Q' is the #1 selling pipe tobacco blend in the US. I'll bet you've never heard of it, but I'll also bet every B&M store owner has.

RLP-6 in a Dr Grabow Savoy

Last edited:
Iwan Reis 5 Star (purple pack) blend in an old EA Carey(not an especially great pipe, but my first.. I am sentimentally attached).:w00t:

I'm in the office with an ionic purifier set to "high". wish me luck. :blink:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Iwan Reis 5 Star (purple pack) blend in an old EA Carey(not an especially great pipe, but my first.. I am sentimentally attached).:w00t:

I found out recently that E.A Carey was a tobacco shop here in Canton, OH. They no longer have a physical store, but their "shop" they run the E-site out of is right around the block from my office. I've wondered if I stopped in if they would sell to me to not.

Possibly, but I'd call or email first. You could always just hang out in front of their shop smoking a pipe. :001_cool:

University Flake in a Peterson Killarney #69

Top Bottom