What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Up early and watching Hill Street Blues again: some Granger in my Rigoletto pot-bowl straight pipe. I'd brought out the tobacco last evening and set it onto a saucer to dry a bit, but was too tired and sleepy to think about smoking it. So it sat out overnight on the kitchen counter. No harm done, in fact it might have improved what turned out as a cool 35-minute smoke. Two relights. When I tapped the pipe out at last, there was still a pinch of unburned tobacco. I could have gotten another 5 minutes . . .but there was no point in pushing it.

And I know it was a good smoke for me. I was hungry afterward!

Last edited:

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
35C2598D-A9B2-4DCB-B8E4-4FACBD4FDA0E.jpeg

This evening I smoked Sutliff Virgina Slices 507-C in a T Cristiano Bosso 60 B4. I haven’t smoked this straight up Virginia for awhile and have forgotten what a nice tobacco it is. Nothing fancy, just a smooth Virginia. I’ll have to check the spreadsheet as I hope I have a fair amount in the cellar.
Next up is Pembroke in a Morta, the DR Franc 2019 LE.
A perfectly lovely evening,BTW.

Saturday morning called for some Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic in my 1980s Peterson 307, which hasn't seen any smoke time in a while. A grand 25-minute smoke as I watched a classic B & W Adventures of Superman from 1954. The Sir Walters do burn easily, and perhaps I'm smoking them a bit too fast, but there's no tongue bite and only a hint of throat dryness after.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Dunhill Royal Yacht in an early '60s Charatan.

1627781125005.png

Was about done with the bowl when I noticed the nightly visitor we've been having for the last few days.

1627781205477.png

It may be Junior...that was born in the pump house last year and Momma had to tell him when it was time to find new digs.

1627781296380.png

An unexpected pleasure with today's smoke: I loaded the new-to-me Georg Jensen mini-Canadian, which I'm calling "the Captain's pipe" for the 4 gold rings on the stem, with Edgeworth Match. This is the second time in a week that I've smoked Edgeworth by itself. Each time I've gotten a long cool smoke without tongue bite or throat dryness afterward. Today's puffing lasted about 30 minutes, which is a long session for me. I tried relighting the last bit in the bowl, got another couple of minutes, and had very little dottle to tap out. Good stuff.

The only fly in the ointment was that the pipe, which suits me well as to size and proportions, got a little hot -- the feel of the lower bowl in my hand, I mean. It must be rather thin-walled compared to my pot-bowl pipes and some others. I curled a finger around the shank and held it that way. Come cold weather it'll be a lot nicer to hold.

Up annoyingly early, so I loaded up the Stanwell billiard with a mix of Half & Half plus Granger. The result? A pleasant steady 30-minute smoke, with 5 more after a relight. The scent, probably mostly from the H&H, clings to my beard and robe afterward too.

Top Bottom