What's new

Pinaud Clubman Classic Aftershave IS Brut in disguise!!

Picked up some Pinaud Classic Aftershave today. Where I bought it had no sampler so I had to just take the chance. Immediately after opening the bottle I could smell Brut (which I can live without). So I got back to the office carrying my new AS in a little bag and since I work with mostly women, they asked "so what do you have there?". So I proceeded to tell them and even let them smell the AS. There were 5 women, and all said that it's Brut in a different bottle. I'm a little disappointed as I was hoping for a new scent and not something that resembles such a familar AS.

Anyways, just had to rant. I guess the lesson I learned here is if you can't sample it, don't buy it! I guess that eliminates Speick, InnsBruck, Musgo and a alot of others I was wanting to eventually try. :sad:

They're certainly similar, but the drydown is different enough that you'll notice. A whiff out of the bottle doesn't tell the whole story. Once you've worn both a couple of times, you'll pick out the difference right away. I think that Clubman is much better (although I no longer hate Brut like I did when I was younger).

Yep, you can't trust anything smelling it out of the bottle. In fact, some of the best products smell the worst in the bottle.

I think you'll find the Clubman to be much smoother than Brut. Much better product in my opinion.

I had a bad experience with Brut one time during Summer months when I put too much on, and I've never gotten over it, so I'm not a Brut man even today.

To my nose, there is a distinct and discernible difference between Brut and Clubman, and I can't imagine mistaking one for the other. In fact, a similarity between the two has never occurred to me.

Yup, orginal Clubman.

I'll definitely give it a shot. Like some of you have said, it'll hopefully smell different once applied. I'll give it a go tomorrow morning and see how the wife reacts...firstly! :001_smile

Keep in mind, Clubman could easily be a cologne. It's an old style gentleman's fragrance, though I consider it classic. This is a long way around to saying: the wife may not like it, particularly right after it is applied! Might want to go a little easy. You can always put a little more on when you get out of the neighborhood. :lol:

Give it a while to smooth out and I think you will truly get a picture of it. Good luck.

Last edited:
To my nose, there is a distinct and discernible difference between Brut and Clubman, and I can't imagine mistaking one for the other. In fact, a similarity between the two has never occurred to me.

I see them as belonging to the same family, but they're cousins, not brothers (hopefully that makes sense).

I've never mistaken Clubman for Brut. Every time I smell Clubman I think of Canoe; they are almost exactly the same.

I guess the lesson I learned here is if you can't sample it, don't buy it! I guess that eliminates Speick, InnsBruck, Musgo and a alot of others I was wanting to eventually try. :sad:

I think that this is a pretty good policy with expensive frags--although even then, sometimes you just have to jump in. But aftershaves? Buy 'em and try 'em.

I believe Clubman predates Brut, so it should be the other way around. Brut is just Clubman in a different, more expensive bottle. :)

Wow, my nose doesn't pick up any similarities between them at all... I don't like Brut but enjoy Clubman.

interesting comparison. never really linked the two myself - never liked Brut, but do like Clubman. over time it's been a harder go at wearing Clubman as a cologne or an aftershave though. Aqua Velva has been much kinder to my skin and I think I like the scent better.

interesting comparison. never really linked the two myself - never liked Brut, but do like Clubman. over time it's been a harder go at wearing Clubman as a cologne or an aftershave though. Aqua Velva has been much kinder to my skin and I think I like the scent better.

There really is no accounting for taste. :lol:

Those women don't know a thing!!!:mad3: I have been wearing Brut since Jr High and Clubman since I found it at Sally's picking up some things for my wife. She says they don't smell alike at all either when you sniff the bottles or I wear it.

I just aquired some Clubman, and didn't notice a resemblance to Brut. One, I'm not a Brut fan, and two I don't own it. Seems to be worth investigating now.

So I used Clubman this morning and so far it's not too bad. Love that cool down effect! The scent is strong like others have said...very strong! When I first put it on I expected my wife to comment on it but she didn't. Finally I had to ask her to take a wiff. She said "isn't it the same one you wore yesterday?". Yesterday I was wearing Aqua Velva Ice Sport. No resemblance there :confused1 but atleast she didn't say she hated it. LOL

It has found a place in my rotation. By the size of the bottle, it's gonna last quite awhile! :001_smile

Keep in mind, Clubman could easily be a cologne. It's an old style gentleman's fragrance, though I consider it classic. This is a long way around to saying: the wife may not like it, particularly right after it is applied! Might want to go a little easy. You can always put a little more on when you get out of the neighborhood. :lol:

Give it a while to smooth out and I think you will truly get a picture of it. Good luck.

I agree that it can be used as a cologne. As a matter of fact I am wearing it now. I just put some in a small spray bottle and use it as a cologne. As for it smelling like Brut, I don't find any connection, but I haven't used brut for many years now.

My wife likes the original as do I, and I use it as a cologne as well as after shave along with the Pinaud Talc. I tried the Bay Rum and a few others but this is like the stuff my grandfather used when I used to watch him shave with his straight razor back in the early 40's. This is now the only aftershave I use and have given the others to friends to use.
Mike

Top Bottom