What's new

Pikesville RYE ??

My bottle of Four Roses will soon get recycled .... Thinking of trying a nice rye. Pikesville has been getting great reviews , any comments on this brand ?
pike.jpg

The one you posted is different from the one I tasted a while back. The one I had was 110 proof. It was very nice. As I recall, it is made by Heaven Hill distillery in Kentucky. I thought it was quite smooth. The price in AZ is $62. One that is cheaper but still nice is Rittenhouse.

our son lives in pikesville, so i tried this bottle some time ago.
good, but, imho, not great.
but, try it and decide for yourself.
let us know.

proxy.php

I love the Pikesville Rye 110 Proof for sipping although my preference is bourbons. My son gets Sazarac Rye and Rittenhouse Rye for cocktails. Good prices in the $20's for them and the Pikesville Rye is in the mid $40's here in Texas.

Mike

I love the Pikesville Rye 110 Proof for sipping although my preference is bourbons. My son gets Sazarac Rye and Rittenhouse Rye for cocktails. Good prices in the $20's for them and the Pikesville Rye is in the mid $40's here in Texas.

Mike
About the same price as N. Calif. ,the Arizona price ACKVIL quoted is really high....

The one you posted is different from the one I tasted a while back. The one I had was 110 proof. It was very nice. As I recall, it is made by Heaven Hill distillery in Kentucky. I thought it was quite smooth. The price in AZ is $62. One that is cheaper but still nice is Rittenhouse.
Yes..... this ad is from the 20's or early 30's......

Pikesville used to be much cheaper...I dont think it holds its value compared to many other rye's out there.

I strongly second the vote on Rittenhouse 100 proof "Bottled in Bond" makes the best Manhattan IMHO and since WT Rye 101 has long been gone, it has become my go to...I think it sips (with a little water) as well as it does in cocktails.

When it comes to my brown booze, rye is not one I am apt to spend too much on, I love Rye but not sure I can tell much of a difference in many of the higher priced offerings.

Some exceptions: Willet, Whistlepig, High West

The regular Pikesville rye was a wonderful bargain. A real cult item, especially now. Whoever was making it at the end, I assume Heaven Hill stopped making it a number of years ago now. I managed to grab a case after they announced they were discontinuing it. It had been a long time since it was made in Maryland.

I really like the 110 proof version, but I do not think it has much to do with the original, lower proof version, and I do not think it has any real connection to Maryland. I do not think the flavor profile is much like the original. I think when it first came out it won a bunch of awards and was priced very high. I think prices have come down a lot for it.

I know that some really like Old Overholt, especially pro mixologists, especially the 100 proof version. I really do not like it, and to me it does not hold a candle to the original Pikesville, and did not when they were each widely available in Maryland selling for about the same very low price point.

Seems to me Rittenhouse has gone up in price in recent years. But I think it remains an excellent value and an excellent rye.

I do not know about the Michter's barrel strength. I think the regular ten-year old Michter's is not a bad value. I think it is good whiskey. I like it. I guess I might say I like it slightly more than the Rittenhouse, but no a whole lot more.

I do not know about the Michter's barrel strength. I think the regular ten-year old Michter's is not a bad value. I think it is good whiskey. I like it. I guess I might say I like it slightly more than the Rittenhouse, but no a whole lot more.

Same experience. Agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pikesville is good, but at $50 there are better values. Rittenhouse and Dickel are readily available for around $25. I’ve found WhistlePig 10 year at Costco for $60 and it’s much better than Pikesville

Top Bottom