What's new

Pikesville RYE ??

Tough choice between Rittenhouse and Sazerac, I ended up with Rittenhouse and will try it tonight. I noticed most stores here carry PEERLESS , but I have seen no reviews. At $120 a bottle it better be great !!
rye.JPG

I can vouch for Peerless. It is great. I am not sure $120 great. Very interesting rye. Barrel strength at nearly 108 proof. Aged only two years, but you would never know it. Very peppery. Not smooth like Whistle Pig. I like Whistle Pig straight/on the rocks, but I think it makes a characterless Manhattan. Peerless makes an excellent Manhattan.

Peerless is easily my favorite rye. But I would not spend the money to make it my house rye. I have a bottle of a single barrel expression of it I bought at the distillery in Louisville.

I can vouch for Peerless. It is great. I am not sure $120 great. Very interesting rye. Barrel strength at nearly 108 proof. Aged only two years, but you would never know it. Very peppery. Not smooth like Whistle Pig. I like Whistle Pig straight/on the rocks, but I think it makes a characterless Manhattan. Peerless makes an excellent Manhattan.

Peerless is easily my favorite rye. But I would not spend the money to make it my house rye. I have a bottle of a single barrel expression of it I bought at the distillery in Louisville.
Same for me, I have a $50 limit on these pleasures ...

Well... it was a choice between Sazerac, Pikesville and Rittenhouse....I went with the Rittenhouse, b in b 100 proof .. Great flavor !... You do get an initial high proof taste, but that quickly smooths out to a very flavorful taste on the tongue....I'm not one of these guys who tastes " cotton candy, gingersnaps, unicorn tears, organic egg shell " , etc etc, I laugh at these bizarre descriptions started by the wine industry ( and working well for them)... The aftertaste on the tongue is lingering, very refreshing and does taste like fresh home made cinnamon toothpicks.... A very enjoyable rye....

Well... it was a choice between Sazerac, Pikesville and Rittenhouse....I went with the Rittenhouse, b in b 100 proof .. Great flavor !... You do get an initial high proof taste, but that quickly smooths out to a very flavorful taste on the tongue....I'm not one of these guys who tastes " cotton candy, gingersnaps, unicorn tears, organic egg shell " , etc etc, I laugh at these bizarre descriptions started by the wine industry ( and working well for them)... The aftertaste on the tongue is lingering, very refreshing and does taste like fresh home made cinnamon toothpicks.... A very enjoyable rye....

Great choice! Now go get some Punt e Mes and make yourself a awesome Manhattan!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most folks don’t like vermouth because the bars they tried it at didn’t turn it over fast enough and the stuff is wine and spoils rather quickly, especially as the volume in the bottle diminishes.

I buy small bottles when I can, unfortunately Punt e Med only comes in 750’s and really is more than vermouth. In fact it’s Vermouth and Italian Amaro mixed.

Maybe find a small bottle of Carpano Antiqua. Same distiller but this is just the Vermouth. May change your mind over commercial stuff like M&R.

May be worth revisiting with a fresh bottle in a Rittenhouse Manhattan (you’ll need some angostura or fee’s old fashioned bitters too, that’d be like leaving salt out of your food, and you’ll need some real Maraschino cherries. Not this red dye neon ones. Marasca by Luxardo is the way to go. ) 2:1, a dadhbor two of bitters, stirred till cold then strained.

Most folks don’t like vermouth because the bars they tried it at didn’t turn it over fast enough and the stuff is wine and spoils rather quickly, especially as the volume in the bottle diminishes.

I buy small bottles when I can, unfortunately Punt e Med only comes in 750’s and really is more than vermouth. In fact it’s Vermouth and Italian Amaro mixed.

Maybe find a small bottle of Carpano Antiqua. Same distiller but this is just the Vermouth. May change your mind over commercial stuff like M&R.

May be worth revisiting with a fresh bottle in a Rittenhouse Manhattan (you’ll need some angostura or fee’s old fashioned bitters too, that’d be like leaving salt out of your food, and you’ll need some real Maraschino cherries. Not this red dye neon ones. Marasca by Luxardo is the way to go. ) 2:1, a dadhbor two of bitters, stirred till cold then strained.

These Luxardo cherries look great, almost like the old Burgundy cherries they used to put in ice cream...
luxardo-maraschino-cherries-c.jpg

That's about how they taste, too. They are so very much better than those frighteningly red things.

Hence why a properly made Manhattan with fresh and quality ingredients is nothing like the crown royal manhattans on the rocks of “those dark days of cocktails”. Lol

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Oh. My goodness, me. It makes me more than a bit crazy when I order a Manhattan, and it comes out on the rocks.

Tried a jigger of Rittenhouse on the rocks last night, really ruined the taste for me. I'll stick to slow sipping a straight shot ....

These Luxardo cherries look great, almost like the old Burgundy cherries they used to put in ice cream...View attachment 1009265

I do not love those real Luxardo maraschino cherries for Manhattans. They are so sweet as to be candy-like to me. Same for Amarena cherries, which are packaged similarly. (Either type is excellent in an Aviator, though.) For Manhattans I have bought dried Montmorency cherries and soaked them overnight and ongoing in a mixture of cognac or brandy and sugar. They seem amazing to me. Not an original idea with me. I got the idea online from some mixology site or other.

Most American maraschino cherries, I read online, are processed as a first step to essentially remove all natural color and flavor, and then pressure soaked in high fructose corn syrup and artificial flavors, mostly a supposed almond flavor, I read. Not surprising they do not do much for a drink. I have had cherries made in the US for drinks on a more artisanal basis, but I cannot recall any I really loved. There must be some out there that are good, though. I think the guy making Bada Bing cherries in Brooklyn was busted for large scale weed growing at his warehouses, so he is probably out of business. I think they got good reviews.

RETRACTION OF INCORRECT INFORMATION IN PREVIOUS POST!!!!!!!

I think the guy making Bada Bing cherries in Brooklyn was busted for large scale weed growing at his warehouses, so he is probably out of business. I think they got good reviews.

So sorry Bada Bing Cherries! My memory conflated you guys with Dell's Maraschino Cherries of Brooklyn. See
ttps://ikes.com/a-true-story-of-maraschino-cherries-the-mafia-marijuana-and-bright-red-bees/

Bada Bing Cherries are still available and had nothing to do with Dell's Cherries or weed. I apologize and retract my previous text.

RETRACTION OF INCORRECT INFORMATION IN PREVIOUS POST!!!!!!!

So sorry Bada Bing Cherries! My memory conflated you guys with Dell's Maraschino Cherries of Brooklyn. See
ttps://ikes.com/a-true-story-of-maraschino-cherries-the-mafia-marijuana-and-bright-red-bees/

Bada Bing Cherries are still available and had nothing to do with Dell's Cherries or weed. I apologize and retract my previous text.
the fluorescent red cherry association salutes the retraction...
sopranos2.jpg

I saw that New Yorker article earlier. Really was quite the saga and a sad one. A shame for someone to off themselves over a weed grow operation in New York City, they were likely to get no jail time for. More complicated than that, though, as it turned out. A little Jeffrey Epstein-ish, I suppose.

Top Bottom