What's new

Pike Label Thread Collection

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I just found/bought this cool piece off the bay. I don’t own a scythe but I couldn’t pass on this as I love old labeled Pike stuff (I’ll post my others soon). I may have overpaid but it’s hard to tell with this Pike stuff sometimes. Got it for a single Benjamin, but it’s worth it to me. I’ve never seen one before.View attachment 1740699View attachment 1740698
NICE, I see a few different Pikes with labels every year but the paper is in varying degrees of distress. Unlabeled, a few dozen per year and I leave them were I see them. I have no plans to put to use. It was flea market priced and going to persevere it

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Here’s one I’ve never seen before. A Pikes fastcut oil and water stone. For mechanics and household use. Use either oil or water, but not both. 8x2. I have some other Hindo fastcuts but don’t recall seeing this one before.
IMG_7550.jpeg
IMG_7551.jpeg
IMG_7552.jpeg

I have a 6x2 of that same stone in my basement somewhere.

Owned 3 or 4 in the past, but threw them in lots.

Then somewhere years ago one sold for crazy money on eBay ($200+) and so when I got this one I kept it.

It's a decent stone. Doesn't wear too fast and somewhere between fine india and queer creek. No clue what it actually is... but I'd assume some xfine aloxite mix... maybe just a hard QC looking at it again.

Dont think I've seen a 8x2 before.

edit: Pics

Im aware some catalog from the 1920s said these are "selected Hindostan stock". Mine shows no evidence of being a Hindo... nor did the others I've owned or see, frankly.

Found a link to a 6x2 with the same box as David's stone and this one DOES look Hindo:

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    950.7 KB · Views: 18
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    265 KB · Views: 17
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    760.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Yeah, maybe I'll clean mine up a bit and see how it does. It's fast and hard for a Hindo in my experience with them... and definitely more QC/Carbo colored (grey, no tan or orange)... no layering either...

But maybe after a cleaning some of those traits will show.

Last one I owned was almost pure white.

Never seen orange in the ones I own like yours has. Almost wonder if maybe these (later era I assume) boxed versions were a different stone.

edit: Lapping does reveal a Hindo... A very hard, almost glassy Hindo with some vaguely Les Lat-like marbling in it. Bottom right freckles are orange... The blobs/splotches are off-white to yellow green, like some les lats in color (not nearly as smooth/hard as a Les Lat obviously, but far more-so than my other Hindos)

Attachments

• IMG_0918 (1).jpg
    IMG_0918 (1).jpg
    627.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Damn, nice pull! I can’t find a picture easily, but only have my phone on me. I’ll keep hunting to see if I can find a more complete label.

Legion

Staff member
For funsies, the letterpress block for the labels, someone sold it on Etsy.

This must be the most attention anyone’s paid to a mediocre scythe stone.

IMG_6795.jpeg
IMG_6794.jpeg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I think @David has one of those little metal boxed ones. From memory they are for on the desk to tune up pen nibs.
I have one made by Pike and another off branded one. They are the exact same thing except the off brand has a handle.

Finally! With the help of persistence and insomnia, I achieved my dream. I finally tracked down a nearly complete label for the fabled, celebrated, adored, Pike Green Mountain scythestone.

That carborundum jewel, sparkling amid all the better stones. The pyrite in the goldmine, the rough that defines the diamonds.

Plus a White Mountain stone, whatever the hell that is.

IMG_1731.jpeg
IMG_1732.jpeg

And one actually good stone, I guess. Pike Extra Washita. Graded between Lily White and No 1, with no other description from the catalog.

IMG_1730.jpeg

IMG_1735.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom