What's new

Phuket vs Bali climate in July

Hi gents,

We're considering a trip to either Phuket or Bali.

My only concern is sticky/muggy weather.
Rain, sun etc are not an issue.

Just need to know which of the two has LESS sticky/muggy humidity in July.

Legion

Staff member
Lol. They are both going to be hot and humid. If I had to say, Thailand would be worse than Indonesia for that (but probably a nicer place to visit overall. Bali is an Australian bogan holiday hotspot. There are much nicer parts of Indonesia.)

Legion

Staff member
You have to remember, that part of Asia (and the north of Australia) doesn’t really have a winter. They have a dry and a wet season. July would be the start of the wet, so expect some monsoonal rain.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We were in Bali 3 times this past year.... Dental implants. We had a great time on each visit. We traveled a lot to different places/islands on the first trip during that month. The second we rented the top floor of a house about an hour and a half north of the airport. It was set next to two lesser-known surfing beaches, facing West. We were there for 6 weeks and have such fond memories. This past trip, we stayed at the Puri Santrian resort on the eastern side of the island: Sanur.... What a lovely place. It was so nice, we didn't venture out much other than to walk to various restaurants. It is much, Much quieter than the other places we stayed... The whole place is a botanical garden with paths through it all... I can't recommend it enough.

The weather patterns have been changing in SE Asia. The wet season used to start in September and run through the end of April or so... So July will be in the middle of the dry season.... but they get rain off and on now.. and even during the rainy season, things are no longer predictable. When we lived on Java in the early 1970s, you could almost set your watch by the afternoon rains from October to March.

Lol. They are both going to be hot and humid. If I had to say, Thailand would be worse than Indonesia for that (but probably a nicer place to visit overall. Bali is an Australian bogan holiday hotspot. There are much nicer parts of Indonesia.)

Thanks mate!
We are leaning towards Thailand but the high humidity is a real concern as the rains are just about to start.

Haha
Reminds me of how Goa is the destination for bogan Russians 😄

We were in Bali 3 times this past year.... Dental implants. We had a great time on each visit. We traveled a lot to different places/islands on the first trip during that month. The second we rented the top floor of a house about an hour and a half north of the airport. It was set next to two lesser-known surfing beaches, facing West. We were there for 6 weeks and have such fond memories. This past trip, we stayed at the Puri Santrian resort on the eastern side of the island: Sanur.... What a lovely place. It was so nice, we didn't venture out much other than to walk to various restaurants. It is much, Much quieter than the other places we stayed... The whole place is a botanical garden with paths through it all... I can't recommend it enough.

The weather patterns have been changing in SE Asia. The wet season used to start in September and run through the end of April or so... So July will be in the middle of the dry season.... but they get rain off and on now.. and even during the rainy season, things are no longer predictable. When we lived on Java in the early 1970s, you could almost set your watch by the afternoon rains from October to March.

Sounds lovely!
You flew to Bali three times and still saved money overall compared to having the implants done at home?

The dry season in Indonesia is what's causing my dilemma as we want to go to Thailand but the weather is likely going to be better in Indonesia.

I would tend toward Bali, rather than Phuket, having tried both. In Bali, Sanur rather than Kuta, although I would need to put up with the appalling traffic to get to La Lucciola which is in Seminyak. I guess you could stay there if you like busy. Usually we end up in Nusa Dua simply because my wife has to go to Bali every October for an insurance conference held in Nusa Dua and I tag along - it's tough in the tropics.

I would tend toward Bali, rather than Phuket, having tried both. In Bali, Sanur rather than Kuta, although I would need to put up with the appalling traffic to get to La Lucciola which is in Seminyak. I guess you could stay there if you like busy. Usually we end up in Nusa Dua simply because my wife has to go to Bali every October for an insurance conference held in Nusa Dua and I tag along - it's tough in the tropics.

Thank you!
Yeah, tropical climate is just horrible!

Legion

Staff member
Thank you!
Yeah, tropical climate is just horrible!
I worked with a Thai guy, and he was complaining that the day in Melbourne was unusually humid. I mentioned that he should be used to it, living most of his life in Thailand.

His response, "why do you think I moved?"

Can't argue with that, I guess.

Well, I lived in Jakarta for 4 years and Bangkok for 3 before coming here 20 years ago. I would say both Jakarta and Bangkok can have their moments as far as heat and humidity go, but both had some semblance of seasons - Bangkok in December can be quite fresh and a jacket in the evening was needed.

Singapore is hot and humid every day of the year. It's currently 5pm, it's 32C and 95% humidity (it was raining earlier so all the water on the pavements is evaporating). It can be quite draining, so one needs to keep one's fluid intake high.

Legion

Staff member
Well, I lived in Jakarta for 4 years and Bangkok for 3 before coming here 20 years ago. I would say both Jakarta and Bangkok can have their moments as far as heat and humidity go, but both had some semblance of seasons - Bangkok in December can be quite fresh and a jacket in the evening was needed.

Singapore is hot and humid every day of the year. It's currently 5pm, it's 32C and 95% humidity (it was raining earlier so all the water on the pavements is evaporating). It can be quite draining, so one needs to keep one's fluid intake high.
My only experience with Singapore is Changi airport, but I remember stepping out into a little outdoor garden and my glasses fogging up. Yeah, nah. I couldn't handle living there.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks mate!
We are leaning towards Thailand but the high humidity is a real concern as the rains are just about to start.

Haha
Reminds me of how Goa is the destination for bogan Russians 😄

Sounds lovely!
You flew to Bali three times and still saved money overall compared to having the implants done at home?

The dry season in Indonesia is what's causing my dilemma as we want to go to Thailand but the weather is likely going to be better in Indonesia.
The third trip was unexpected because two of the implants didn't hold.... Still, with all three trips and the included vacations, we saved about half what we would have paid in the States..... And we both speak Indonesian fairly well... We had such a great time. We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary way too many times on this last trip... This is our anniversary dinner.... OK... This one is.... We had several..... When it actually rolls around in June, we're already set. ;)

As @Rushman2112 said, Nusa Dua is wonderful, but just a tad out of our price range.

• Al Bacio
Reactions: nav
The third trip was unexpected because two of the implants didn't hold.... Still, with all three trips and the included vacations, we saved about half what we would have paid in the States..... And we both speak Indonesian fairly well... We had such a great time. We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary way too many times on this last trip... This is our anniversary dinner.... OK... This one is.... We had several..... When it actually rolls around in June, we're already set. ;)

As @Rushman2112 said, Nusa Dua is wonderful, but just a tad out of our price range.

That's just awesome!!
So many trips, food, hotels...and still saved half! 👌

Congrats on the 50th anniversary!

Top Bottom