What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

Kim, Do you know what's the difference between buying the Claymore from the USA Alpha shaving store vs. the Executive shaving store in the UK?
With the currency exchange rate, it's $130 from the UK vs. $106 from the USA!
$106 sounds very tempting for that razor!
Nevermind!
User error!!
The $106 is for the head only, LOL!!
So yes, the cheapest is buying it from Executive shaving in the UK for $130

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Nevermind!
User error!!
The $106 is for the head only, LOL!!
So yes, the cheapest is buying it from Executive shaving in the UK for $130
With the current price of the pound... ESC makes more sense. If you put it in the cart... and sign up for an account... you'll see it's $108.32... because we aren't paying the UK VAT. That is for the whole razor.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Thought you might enjoy this pic, Kim. :001_smile

fde2cba53a7a9d04087f67d5bfb37f74.jpg

Kim,
Any updated opinion on the Claymore vs. the X1?
I'm undecided between the Claymore, SE1 & X1!:confused:
Buying a Claymore, I'd be getting the whole razor. Buying an SE1 or an X1, it would be just the head since I've already got 2 ATT SS handles.
But in the end, the price would be about the same since the whole Claymore costs about the same as the ATT head.
But my priority is obviously loving the shave.
Some blade feel, efficiency on 2 passes & smoothness!

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Kim,
Any updated opinion on the Claymore vs. the X1?
I'm undecided between the Claymore, SE1 & X1!:confused:
Buying a Claymore, I'd be getting the whole razor. Buying an SE1 or an X1, it would be just the head since I've already got 2 ATT SS handles.
But in the end, the price would be about the same since the whole Claymore costs about the same as the ATT head.
But my priority is obviously loving the shave.
Some blade feel, efficiency on 2 passes & smoothness!
Let's see if I can give some kind of semi-accurate description of the differences. As you know, I started with the Claymore and used it as my only razor for over 5 months. It is the measuring stick for me, if you will. I still love it and am totally comfortable using it.

I've only used the ATT X1 a few times. I have to say.... it has more blade feel..... but it's a blade feel I enjoy very much. I'm not sure how to put that into words. It's a step up, at least, in efficiency, from the Claymore and I get a closer shave faster, which is something you desire. The only negative, and this is because I'm still learning the razor, is around my nose. The Claymore has a much thinner head so it's easier to get close near my nose and up into my nostrils. This isn't saying I can't get the X1 to work there. I just noticed I missed a few whiskers there.

If I had to pick one? I'd choose the X1. I can't believe I typed that but I just did. <eg>

If I had to pick one? I'd choose the X1. I can't believe I typed that but I just did. <eg>
I just laughed out loud with your comment 🤣
I can't believe it either considering the love you've had for the Claymore. But hey, sometimes something else just works out better. ATT makes fantastic tools!!
I'm curious, is the Claymore made in the UK or Hong Kong?
And how is the build quality in your eyes between the Claymore and the ATT?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The Claymore was designed in Scotland but is manufactured in Hong Kong to keep the price competitive. The build quality is equal, I'd say. The Claymore handle feels good in your hand... your fingers find their place naturally....

That said, I use the Timeless Ti handle on them both...

The Claymore was designed in Scotland but is manufactured in Hong Kong to keep the price competitive. The build quality is equal, I'd say. The Claymore handle feels good in your hand... your fingers find their place naturally....

That said, I use the Timeless Ti handle on them both...
That's good! Hong Kong makes quality stuff so I don't doubt for one second that it's equal to the USA made ATT quality.
Now the issue is picking one out!
With coupons I found, the ATT X1 or SE1 head comes out to the same price as the complete Claymore. Like I said, I don't mind because I've already got ATT handles.
What I've read as I've been researching:
Claymore: No info on blade gap/blade exposure that I could find (I like that it's 316 stainless vs. ATT's 304 stainless)
SE1: .61 blade gap & 2mm. blade exposure
X1: .55 blade gap & 1.5mm. blade exposure
Most comparisons I've read, state that the X1 & Claymore feel and shave almost identical to each other.
You've stated that the X1 feels a tad more aggressive/efficient than the Claymore.
The SE1 supposedly is more aggressive (more blade gap & blade exposure than the X1).

For comparison purposes vs. my ATT DE's:
My Windsor is .80 & 1mm. blade exposure
My Stainless/Aluminum (depends on what plate I use/.25, .58OC and .91) and 2mm blade exposure.

Analyzing my favorite, it would be my Windsor .80!
That means that I believe the either the Claymore or X1 slant would be the ones for me to choose from.
I believe that the SE1 would be overkill for daily shaving considering the sharpness of the AC blades.
My ATT Stainless/Aluminum is too much for daily shaving and it's comparable!

Now, you said Kim that you'd probably pick the X1 over the Claymore. Considering your love for the Claymore, that means that the X1 must be a cut above. And you're a good point of reference because you've already tried both. I'm also following the @never-stop-learning journal to see what his opinion would be as well. Honestly, I'd probably be happy with either but of course we always want to make the right choice. I doubt that if I buy one, I would ever buy the other one anyhow. So I'd just enjoy the one that I would buy.
We'll see what I pick!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That's good! Hong Kong makes quality stuff so I don't doubt for one second that it's equal to the USA made ATT quality.
Now the issue is picking one out!
With coupons I found, the ATT X1 or SE1 head comes out to the same price as the complete Claymore. Like I said, I don't mind because I've already got ATT handles.
What I've read as I've been researching:
Claymore: No info on blade gap/blade exposure that I could find (I like that it's 316 stainless vs. ATT's 304 stainless)
SE1: .61 blade gap & 2mm. blade exposure
X1: .55 blade gap & 1.5mm. blade exposure
Most comparisons I've read, state that the X1 & Claymore feel and shave almost identical to each other.
You've stated that the X1 feels a tad more aggressive/efficient than the Claymore.
The SE1 supposedly is more aggressive (more blade gap & blade exposure than the X1).

For comparison purposes vs. my ATT DE's:
My Windsor is .80 & 1mm. blade exposure
My Stainless/Aluminum (depends on what plate I use/.25, .58OC and .91) and 2mm blade exposure.

Analyzing my favorite, it would be my Windsor .80!
That means that I believe the either the Claymore or X1 slant would be the ones for me to choose from.
I believe that the SE1 would be overkill for daily shaving considering the sharpness of the AC blades.
My ATT Stainless/Aluminum is too much for daily shaving and it's comparable!

Now, you said Kim that you'd probably pick the X1 over the Claymore. Considering your love for the Claymore, that means that the X1 must be a cut above. And you're a good point of reference because you've already tried both. I'm also following the @never-stop-learning journal to see what his opinion would be as well. Honestly, I'd probably be happy with either but of course we always want to make the right choice. I doubt that if I buy one, I would ever buy the other one anyhow. So I'd just enjoy the one that I would buy.
We'll see what I pick!
I'm also reading @never-stop-learning 's posts as he uses the X1. The Claymore wasn't his cup of tea, though he liked it a bit better with the Feather Pro Super blades. It will be interesting where he rates the X1 after a few more shaves.

Well Kim,
I've ordered the X1!
I purchased it from the scratch & dent section and added a Calypso handle.
I've purchased scratch & dent from ATT before and have never been able to find
a scratch or a dent, LOL!!
$151.20 out the door using a 10% coupon so not to bad of a hit for such a great tool!
After researching and reading everyone's opinions, I think the X1 is the best bet for me based on what I like.
Pretty intriguing to own the only production single edge slant since my Hoffritz slant is on my top 3!
It will be in good company!
I think the Claymore would have been too mild and the SE1 too aggressive.
Plus the fact that you knocked the Claymore of it's pedestal (with the X1), says a lot.
@never-stop-learning seems to really like his and @Chan Eil Whiskers sealed the deal by stating
that the X1 might be the best razor he's ever used.
And I simply love ATT as they've never let me down with the quality of their products.
I might as well stay in the family!
I'll update next week when it arrives,
LRod

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well Kim,
I've ordered the X1!
I purchased it from the scratch & dent section and added a Calypso handle.
I've purchased scratch & dent from ATT before and have never been able to find
a scratch or a dent, LOL!!
$151.20 out the door using a 10% coupon so not to bad of a hit for such a great tool!
After researching and reading everyone's opinions, I think the X1 is the best bet for me based on what I like.
Pretty intriguing to own the only production single edge slant since my Hoffritz slant is on my top 3!
It will be in good company!
I think the Claymore would have been too mild and the SE1 too aggressive.
Plus the fact that you knocked the Claymore of it's pedestal (with the X1), says a lot.
@never-stop-learning seems to really like his and @Chan Eil Whiskers sealed the deal by stating
that the X1 might be the best razor he's ever used.
And I simply love ATT as they've never let me down with the quality of their products.
I might as well stay in the family!
I'll update next week when it arrives,
LRod
I'm glad I wasn't the only one making the suggestion. I can't imagine that you won't love it....I look forward to your first few uses and feedback.

You have no idea how hard it was for me to admit... the X1 gives me an easier, closer, more enjoyable shave than the Claymore. lol. It is close.... but the X1 really is that good for my whiskers and face.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one making the suggestion. I can't imagine that you won't love it....I look forward to your first few uses and feedback.

You have no idea how hard it was for me to admit... the X1 gives me an easier, closer, more enjoyable shave than the Claymore. lol. It is close.... but the X1 really is that good for my whiskers and face.
I know it was hard, LOL!!
But like I said before, sometimes other things can be better. And that's what this hobby is also about. Finding the diamond!
I'm sure I'll love it. I've loved all my ATT stuff. They're still my #1!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm sure I'll love the X1. I've loved all my ATT stuff. They're still my #1!

If nothing else the X1 can be used as an AC platform safety razor and also as a slant. It fills a unique niche.

Yesterday at about 3:30 in the afternoon I did a quick shave with my X1. Not much work. Proline blade.

Anyway, it's now 7:30 in the morning. I'm fixing to shave with the X1. It would be easy to argue I don't really need a shave. However, I will need a shave late this afternoon. That gives me an idea how effective this razor actually is compared to others. It's deceptively efficient.

It will be interesting to see how you like your X1.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had intended to get to photographs today..... but I didn't manage it. I won't bore you with the details.

I shaved yesterday, three days of growth. I started with a Schick Proline P in my X1. I had already used the X1 with 3 days of growth but wanted to try the Proline P's because it's a favorite of many of the AC razor people here.

I had tried the Prolines three times in my Claymore Evo. I never did get a nice shave with them. They were always tugging, not smooth, even with two days of growth.... I figured, they have to work for me somehow. Perhaps the X1 would be the answer.

Nope... I did one downward stroke, WTG... same tugging and pulling. I pushed back some lather and tried it again with some of the whiskers removed.... still horrible. I didn't even bother to carry on. I just replaced the Proline with a Kai Captain Protouch MG... easy peasy.

After that, it was another relaxing, effortless shave with the X1.

This may sound hmmmmmm this is going to reveal that I'm not the brightest bulb around. Many of you use Canada Shaving Soap and are familiar with how hard it is. For the first time, I scraped some into my boring, Timeless blue shaving bowl... added some hot water and then took a shower. When it was time to lather it up with my pre-soaked SV 2.0 Manchurian.... it whipped up like a dream. Like I said... I've been using this soap for months and have always added water then smooshed it around in the bottom of the shaving bowl. This was a cinch. So much easier.

I still trying to decide my plan of attack for my new razors. I have so many to get to. I have only used the Overlander once with great success... but I want to try to the Blutt BR-1 with the 1.20 base plate. I think I'll try that tomorrow.

One other note. I did ease the corners of the base plate on the X1 with a fine file. Just enough to it was no longer sharp and got it closer to the blade end as well. It did make it a bit easier to get closer in and around my nose. I sort of patterned it after the Claymore Evo. So the ends are a bit rounded now. I know, I know.... when I've been dead for 100 years, if this razor is still around, I lessened its value. I wont be around to see that... I apologize to the person selling a classic 2020 razor on Etsy in 100 years.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interesting, Kim.

You and I are alike in a number of ways with similar tastes in brushes for instance, but not as regards the Proline AC blades. I wonder why.

I've tried very few AC blades. The Proline was obviously perfect for me in the same way the Polsilver SI/Wizamet SI DE blades are perfect for me.

As I've mentioned we're not all the same when one considers whiskers, skin, and water.

I have no understanding of why you guys feel any need to file the X1. Nothing about it bothers me. That's not to say there is anything wrong with razor modification customization.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Interesting, Kim.

You and I are alike in a number of ways with similar tastes in brushes for instance, but not as regards the Proline AC blades. I wonder why.

I've tried very few AC blades. The Proline was obviously perfect for me in the same way the Polsilver SI/Wizamet SI DE blades are perfect for me.

As I've mentioned we're not all the same when one considers whiskers, skin, and water.

I have no understanding of why you guys feel any need to file the X1. Nothing about it bothers me. That's not to say there is anything wrong with razor modification customization.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I really like the Wizamets in the razors I've used them in. I have no idea why I don't get along with the Prolines. It doesn't make any sense to me. The other three blades, I made myself suffer through three shaves each with my Claymore Evo.... I didn't bother with the X1.... it felt just the same right off the bat.

I just rounded the corners a tad.... if you weren't looking for it and weren't very familiar with the razor, I doubt anyone would know.

Well my friend, I pressed the button and purchased the Claymore (matte). Too many good things written about it which led me to being unable to ignore it. I'm without a doubt getting the best shaves with AC blades and that's just using a $29 RR Hawk. So I must step it up by trying out both the X1 & Claymore. I'm going in this with the "try each one" mentality. Meaning, try both an keep the one I like best. But I have a strong feeling that I'll probably end up keeping both to use them on different occasions. I'm sure that both differ to some extent (like one milder than the other), which means that the requirement for each will be different on different days. The money part doesn't bother me since I had mentioned that I'll sell others for these. Matter of fact, I put up 13 items for sale yesterday and I've already sold 2. I've already halfway paid the X1, LOL!!
Speaking of money, one thing that really tempted me with getting the Claymore was the current price because of the favorable exchange rate. I bought it from Executive and paid like $119 shipped which is great!
So that's that!
I'll be posting about it when it arrives in a couple weeks.
LRod

Top Bottom