What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

I'm happy for you Kim. Those ATT's are awesome. I took my Windsor out if it's box this week after I decided to keep it. I've been using it all week. Man what a great razor!
It reminded me of who's the boss out of all the razors I own. How I ever thought of selling it is beyond me!
It's back in rotation and loving it again.
My other ATT Stainless/aluminum is .91 and super blade forward. And a while back I bought the OC .58 base plate and it was great as well. Yesterday I ordered the .25 base plate because I'm interested in seeing what it's like with barely no blade gap but a very forward blade.
Anyways, nice to see that you're happy with it!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Aren't you going to try the Filament before using the handle on another razor?

~doug~
I'm not sure. ;)

I bought it just for the light #10-32 handle, truth be told, but I am going to use the razor as well. I don't have an established plan at the moment. I bought too many razors all at once. It's going to take me a while to get everything sorted.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
OK.... I got my ATT X1 AC Slant single edge razor on Wednesday. I used it not long after it showed up. I used it again today to make sure the first shave wasn't a fluke.

So... how was it? Brilliant. I don't use that word lightly. The first thing I noticed was the blade feel. It's significantly more than my Claymore Evo. I was hoping that wasn't a problem after the first stroke. It turns out.... there was never any danger from it. It just shaved wonderfully.
I'm curious how the ATT X1 SE compares to the ATT SE1.

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I got the SS SE1, and later got the aluminum baseplate because I felt the SS baseplate is too heavy for me. It is a very efficient razor.

~doug~
I don't like extremely heavy razors either. I'm thinking about getting my Claymore Evo handle drilled out. You've done that... how tough it is to take a 71.5 grams down to, say, 43 grams? I like the feel of the handle, but it tilts the balance way too much away from the head.

I don't like extremely heavy razors either. I'm thinking about getting my Claymore Evo handle drilled out. You've done that... how tough it is to take a 71.5 grams down to, say, 43 grams? I like the feel of the handle, but it tilts the balance way too much away from the head.
Or you can have Doug make you one instead. Wouldn’t that be easier?

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Today, I finally managed to put down the ATT X1 and use the 24K gold plated Overlander. I know I keep mentioning it but Chris Spencer does such a great job.

How did the Overlander shave? Another wonderful shave. Since I've been taking advice from a few people here on B&B, I haven't made a poor purchase. The Overlander doesn't seem to have a learning curve. It felt natural from the first stroke. It could be because it's one of those "mild but efficient" razors. In any event, the shave was relaxing and pleasant. There was never a point where I had to make a decision... more or less pressure? Different angle? I was able to immerse myself in the shave without difficulty. A relaxed shave is something I enjoy a lot. One with the razor and the blade it's holding. ;)

How does it compare to my other recent DE acquisitions? Well, I'd be hard pressed to say whether the Blutt BR-1 or the Overlander is better. I'm not even sure I could tell the difference if I was using the same handle on both. I'm using the Timeless Ti Crown handle on several razors, but Chris doesn't plate titanium so I used the heavier stock handle on the Overlander. They both shave in a similar fashion for me.... That's a plus. I like them both very much.

The only other change I made was to exchange the PAA Tube 2.0 for the Grooming Department pre-shave. It really is a superior product.... better than the Tube 2.0? I think it is, at least for me... I do have to use a thinner lather and even add water to my face as I face lather after bowl lathering. But the residual slickness seems to be there for both passes and the touch-ups as well.

Same blade as the Blutt BR-1 last time... Gillette 7 O'clock blacks... This was the third shave... still incredibly smooth throughout the whole shave.

I plan to use the Overlander for a couple more shaves in a row, unless the X1 is able to get my attention. <eg>

I'm likely gonna end up buying an X1 or a SE1!
I'm really really liking the AC format razors.
And of course an ATT would be the prime candidate for a higher end SE.
Based on what I'm reading, the Claymore would be to mild for my taste.
I'm gonna have to do inventory and get rid of razors I least favor.
I don't want to keep spending without selling some stuff.

Kim, Do you know what's the difference between buying the Claymore from the USA Alpha shaving store vs. the Executive shaving store in the UK?
With the currency exchange rate, it's $130 from the UK vs. $106 from the USA!
$106 sounds very tempting for that razor!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm likely gonna end up buying an X1 or a SE1!
I'm really really liking the AC format razors.
And of course an ATT would be the prime candidate for a higher end SE.
Based on what I'm reading, the Claymore would be to mild for my taste.
I'm gonna have to do inventory and get rid of razors I least favor.
I don't want to keep spending without selling some stuff.
I do very well with the Claymore Evo but the X1 is a step up in efficiency... at least, a step up... but not up to the Vector SS or Vector Ti, I don't believe, though I haven't tried either. I think they'd be more aggressive than I need or perhaps, enjoy.

As you've seen, I really like the ATT X1. I'm glad I bought one.

OK.. photos.. I've been pretty busy lately... I got my row in but only after I replaced a section of our bathroom hardwood flooring. Leaky toilet, it had a cracked flange, which both the plumber and I missed a year or so ago.

I'll get some photos up soon... I promise.

Top Bottom