What's new

Personal question about straight shaving

Thanks, but I think I'll just go with a new razor. No telling where these used ones have been.

Your new razor with a factory edge, or a new razor that is "professionally honed" by the place you bought it from, will have a FAR inferior edge to what you will get from Larry on the "sight unseen" deal.

I have 6 straights. Only two of the 5 that were bought "professionally honed" delivered acceptable shaves out of the box. The 6th was a PIF from a B&B member.

Barbicide apparently kills HIV-1, Hep B, and Hep C.

I've been using rubbing alcohol. That is good for germs, but not so good for viruses. I'm going to try and get some Barbicide and use it as well (although I'm not sure where from here... )
And time.

Very very few pathogens can live outside of the body for more than a few hours. Hep-B and C are among the most durable and can make it no longer than a couple of weeks, with one exception...

Contained within blood that has not fully coagulated. Example would be a hypodermic with liquid remaining, a vial, etc....
But once that blood fully coagulates (which is a matter of minutes for a straight and most parts of a DE/SE), that clock starts ticking.

Would I intentionally cut myself with the "dirty" edge of a blade that an HIV/Hep patient had used a week ago? No.
Would I use the visually clean edge of a blade that an HIV/Hep patient had used a month ago? Absolutely.

Last edited:
My infectious disease doctor neighbor told me I shouldn't really be concerned after a decent cleaning in alcohol or soap. Especially weeks, months after last use.

Sadly that is what I do with all my straights/de/se razors I find in the wild or purchase
I give them a scrubbing bubbles bath, let the scrubbing bubbles dry, give it a rinse then scrub it with toothbrush and toothpaste
Then let it sit on my counter for 2 weeks before I start using it

Seems like a surefire way to make sure nothing is still alive, might be overboard but I have no idea when these razors were last used

And time.

Very very few pathogens can live outside of the body for more than a few hours. Hep-B and C are among the most durable and can make it no longer than a couple of weeks, with one exception...

Contained within blood that has not fully coagulated. Example would be a hypodermic with liquid remaining, a vial, etc....
But once that blood fully coagulates (which is a matter of minutes for a straight and most parts of a DE/SE), that clock starts ticking.

Would I intentionally cut myself with the "dirty" edge of a blade that an HIV/Hep patient had used a week ago? No.
Would I use the visually clean edge of a blade that an HIV/Hep patient had used a month ago? Absolutely.

It can live outside the body for a few days in air. The study posted earlier said nothing about the effect of soap, alcohol, or any other cleaning agent.

It can live outside the body for a few days in air. The study posted earlier said nothing about the effect of soap, alcohol, or any other cleaning agent.

Agreed... exactly my point.

There is nothing to worry about on a used razor that has been cleaned to "SWMBO's kitchen" standards, especially if it's been a couple of weeks since it was last used.

Top Bottom