What's new

Silly Straight Razor Question

So, I have a silly question about straight razors.

So, I have two straight razors (actually received in a PIF several years ago, during my last go at B&B). They were both good shavers, and ready to go when I put them away...but that was several years ago. They were stored away in a drawer, and I don't believe they exposed to any harsh humidity or conditions. Would they still be useable with a good stropping, or would they need rehoned? They wouldn't lose their edge just sitting, would they?

If they do need honed, are there any suggestions as to where I could have it done?

If you store them long term, do lubricate them to avoid rust. Air humidity will allow rust building up incrementally. Some cover the blade in a thin layer of oil between shaves. For longer term storage I use Vaseline. I haven't heard of knives deteriorating if you lubricate them.

I'll really check them out and will make sure the get treated well. It wasn't an intentional long-term storage. Just everything got in the way.

Fine edges will lose atoms and degrade over time, but that time is longer than any of us will live, I would think. Your stropping and shaving proved that the edges last.

Dr. Matt produced a video a while back where he shaves with a 50+ year old edge. Must have been fine as he had his trade-mark smile on his face.

My rotation takes about 1 year and a half. So, that how long one of my razor has to wait to be used again. Edge is typically fine. I have not had to rehone a razor yet.

My rotation takes about 1 year and a half. So, that how long one of my razor has to wait to be used again. Edge is typically fine. I have not had to rehone a razor yet.
I doubt I'll ever have a rotation like that. I'm still on the fence as to how deep into the rabbit hole I want to go. Judging by my past with safety razors, blades, soaps, brushes, etc, I doubt it will be too far. I tend to find what I like and stick with it.

I've done pretty good sticking with a three pipe rotation, but that's mostly out of necessity. I tend to follow my mood too much for actual rotations.

I doubt I'll ever have a rotation like that. I'm still on the fence as to how deep into the rabbit hole I want to go. Judging by my past with safety razors, blades, soaps, brushes, etc, I doubt it will be too far. I tend to find what I like and stick with it.

I've done pretty good sticking with a three pipe rotation, but that's mostly out of necessity. I tend to follow my mood too much for actual rotations.
I don’t think I’ll be so lucky. As a reference I have about 30 pipes. And I don’t really smoke too often. I have enough tobacco to last me a lifetime at the rate I smoke.

I have two SR now and one on the way. One strop on the way too.

I followed my mood with my straights for a long time, but come to realize it was because I liked some more than others, so I trimmed out of my rotation all but my favorites and now following the rotation is a delight, if I'm ambivalent towards one - I set it out of rotation to figure out where to pawn it off to.

My rotation is presently nearly 30, with 3 I love already pending honing to join

Top Bottom