What's new

Perfect Albums

I am not sure I had heard of neo-Vaudeville music before. I should probably be embarrassed about that.

It's not a term that gets bandied about a lot. I only learned it because it was a common thread in a lot of the music I like.

If you like it, and you haven't heard Sopwith Camel's first album, you should check it out. I'm sure you're familiar with their song "Hello, Hello".

wow, it has been a long time since I have thought about Sopwith Camel! I will have to go back and listen.

I guess I love the Pet Sounds album, but only because it has around three of the best cuts ever recorded, including perhaps the best, and around three other very good cuts. And because it should have had Good Vibrations on it. It has a number of other cuts that I apparently lack the musical sophistication to enjoy or even listen to again. I realize that is a minority opinion and one I may have expressed ad nauseum here previously!

Iistened to the Sopwith Camel first album. brings back some memories, especially Hello, Hello. apparently formed in 1965 and effectively default by end of 1967. A real Bay Area 60s band!

I guess I love the Pet Sounds album, but only because it has around three of the best cuts ever recorded, including perhaps the best

You're either talking "Sloop John B" or "God Only Knows".

I'm "Sloop" all the way, but I recognize there's a defensible argument to be made for "God Only Knows".

You're either talking "Sloop John B" or "God Only Knows".

I'm "Sloop" all the way, but I recognize there's a defensible argument to be made for "God Only Knows".
God Only Knows for me. I love Sloop John B, but I do not think is as good or as important a cut as Only Knows, Caroline, No, or Wouldn't It Be Nice.

God Only Knows has been cited as favorite cut of all time various places by various folks. I personally think Don't Worry Baby is close.

Aside from DYBIM It is their most amaricana roots album. I like it, but always preferred "Hums the Lovin spoonful. A little more pop.
Wow, I had forgotten these albums., and many of the individual cuts. At least four of the ten cuts on Hum are very good or better. I do not think I know the others at all and cannot vouch for how good the album is overall.

I agree that DYBIM is more roots, but I think every song is a good song and he versions are very creditable, if not anything original or unique about the version.

Query: To be "perfect" should an album be largely original? I am not sure, now!

Nice to see the Spoonful get some love around here!

Last edited:
I love Sloop John B, but I do not think is as good or as important a cut as Only Knows, Caroline, No, or Wouldn't It Be Nice.
Maybe this is an untoward quirk of mine, but I think of Sloop John B as something of a novelty song, albeit a redo of a traditional folk song, and I do not tend to rate songs I think of as having novelty attributes as the best pop/rock songs or as being as important as more serious subject matter. That said, I know Sloop John B has very unusual, for the time anyway, features that put it way above a simple novelty song. So maybe I am being unfair to the cur. Still does not grab and open my mind like the other curs I named.

Maybe this is an untoward quirk of mine, but I think of Sloop John B as something of a novelty song, albeit a redo of a traditional folk song, and I do not tend to rate songs I think of as having novelty attributes as the best pop/rock songs or as being as important as more serious subject matter. That said, I know Sloop John B has very unusual, for the time anyway, features that put it way above a simple novelty song. So maybe I am being unfair to the cur. Still does not grab and open my mind like the other curs I named.

For your consideration:

Listen to it with cans on when you have a moment to truly savor. There's a wall of sound and a universe of creativity that went into reimagining a folk song.

Aside from DYBIM It is their most amaricana roots album. I like it, but always vprefered "Hums the Lovin spoonful. A little more pop.

Another great album, but I'm a dyed-in-the-wool roots guy for sure.

That said, it's hard not to recognize Summer in the City as their best song. It's a masterpiece.

That said, it's hard not to recognize Summer in the City as their best song. It's a masterpiece.
This is going to sound like I disagree with you, but I truly do not. But "Summer in the City" is one of those songs I could go to my grave never having heard again. I do not think it is overplayed so much these days. Like I said before I think the Spoonful are underappreciated these days. But I think in earlier decades so-called golden oldies stations played this one to death. I do agree, what's not to like.

Listen to it with cans on when you have a moment to truly savor. There's a wall of sound and a universe of creativity that went into reimagining a folk song.
I do not disagree. And there are plenty of folks who think this is one of the top BB cuts. I probably even think that. Top ten or so.

And no doubt it is fantastically produced. I like that word "reimagined." The Wikipedia article on this cut is pretty good and talks about some of the more subtle creative aspects. I sure agree that it all comes together and is true to the spirit of the original. I consider Brian Wilson a genius, not that anyone should care what I opine! And This is Brian absolutely hitting on all cylinders in a way that is easily accessible to nearly every listener, which has not always been the case with Brian.

I think your comments about wall of sound is a good one, too. This is not the type of song one generally associates with wall of sound, but it is clearly there.

To me, and this is a minor opinion, I know, Pet Sounds is great, great album, but to me largely because of the four cuts that open and close each side. Not a perfect album. It is hard to argue with the order of the cuts. It does sound like an album.

I just read that the cut "Pet Sounds" took the place of the once intended to be on the album "Good Vibrations." That is sad to me!!!!

If the final cut order was preserved that would mean the album would close with Good Vibrations, then Caroline, No. Seems a little jarring, but could have been great.

This is going to sound like I disagree with you, but I truly do not. But "Summer in the City" is one of those songs I could go to my grave never having heard again. I do not think it is overplayed so much these days. Like I said before I think the Spoonful are underappreciated these days. But I think in earlier decades so-called golden oldies stations played this one to death. I do agree, what's not to like.

Overexposure can ruin absolutely anything. I couldn't listen to the Eagles for a whole decade. I was a Mumford and Sons early adopter but can't listen to them anymore after they were relentlessly and mercilessly crammed into my ears from every direction, for two years straight.

For your consideration:

That is a perfect a cover of a tough song to cover that I have ever heard! Does make me appreciate the original all the more. I love that there is electric bass and upright bass both, and is there such a thing as a bass sax, or is that just a baritone sax? Brian Wilson had a great affinity for the bottom of a song. Brilliant! The harmony singing is unearthly. Near perfect falsetto. Thanks for sharing. I had never heard of these guys. They are players and singers!

is there such a thing as a bass sax, or is that just a baritone sax?

There is a such thing, and I'm 95 percent certain that is one. My knowledge of brass and woodwinds is pretty limited, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

The harmony singing is unearthly. Near perfect falsetto. Thanks for sharing. I had never heard of these guys. They are players and singers!

It's the most faithful cover of any song that I know of. They have some other covers on YouTube that are just (or nearly) as impressive, including some live performances. They really seek to get as close to the studio versions as possible, right down to having two singers perform the vocal parts that were double-tracked in the studio.

You've probably heard this, but if you want truly unearthly harmony singing, I commend this (back) to your attention:

You can even hear Al goof and say "break up" instead of "broke up" (at 0:55), because he was the one who was a big fan of the song and knew it by heart before he brought it to Brian's attention. The original lyrics, of course, being "I feel so break up" instead of "broke up". Brian liked "broke up" better, so that's what we all know now.

Yes there is a bass sax! Good Wikipedia article. Apparently popular in 1920s jazz music, for one place. For some reason they seem to say nearly disappeared in the 1930s and stayed disappeared with the advent of the electric bass. The write up is a tad inconsistent. But used from time to time in lots of different music including, apparently in Bob Seger's band and in Fishbone. Who knew! It definitely can function as the bass instrument, which makes sense for Sloop John B.

I think i had heard that isolation of the vocal tracks in that cut previously, but it is well worth hearing over and over. Angelic! You really do know this cut. Impressive. I had read about the lyric changes Brian made. I guess that is what happens when you let some white boy fool around with a native composition! :) Seems to me in every case his lyric changes were positives!

Does Fil do a segment on this song? I really like Fil's stuff!

Great stuff Thanks!

Last edited:
Fil is a Brit guitar player and singer, who analyses pieces of music on You Tube. He goes by Wings of Pegasus. He is very insightful, at least to me. He has a nice manner and is fun to watch. Here he talks about Brian Wilson's voice on Don't Worry Baby, perhaps my pick for the best cut ever.

Top Bottom