What's new

Perfect Albums

Aja to me is the epitome of a perfect album. Every cut is excellent.

Here's one I had not thought off: Jesse Winchester's first album, Jesse Winchester. Produced by Robbie Robertson and Levon Helm is all over it. Maybe a cut like Biloxi is not as good as JW's later version of Bowling Green, and maybe Snow would not make his greatest hits, but as I recall I would not skip over any cut. No throw aways. Similar in quality to the Band's brown album, at least to me.

did we name Surrealistic Pillow earlier? I would say near perfect. How Do You Feel seems like a throw away.

Last edited:
1709008507177.png

BfX, born in 57. Growing up with vinyls, AM radio, 8 tracks, reels, cassettes, cds...
Teens, highly influenced and inspired by Boston/ New England & Canadian rock based bands..
Some of my early and timeless ear candy favs...no order..
Chuck Berry : The Great Tweenty Eight

Beatles: White Album

Led Zeppelin: House of the Holy & IV

B. Dylan : Highway 61 Revisited

J. Hendrix : Experience - Ladyland

Queen : A Night at the Opera

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers : Damn the Torpedoes

Thin Lizzy : Jail Break

Aerosmith / Boston/ Cars / Triumph/ Rush / The Guess Who/ The Cult / Blue Oyster Cult/ and...

Note: my dad toke me to see the Rolling Stones when I was 9. Rolling Stones concert at The Manning Bowl in Lynn, MA on June 24, 1966 in front of 17,000

At 16, in the field behind my high school. I saw Aerosmith platy live and free..this was before Dream On hit the radio

BFX

Nothing better than some great music / then a great shave..
Shaving to the Oldies..

Hi gents. Somewhere on the web, there were discussions of ' Perfect Albums'. What is a perfect album? Not necessarily among the greatest of greats, but a record that doesn't have a single bad song, and none that you want to skip. I'm thinking mostly pop music and I listen to everything. Instrumental Jazz, which is what I listen to mostly, but I'm thinking albums of 'songs' My first one that comes to mind is "Automatic for the People" by REM

I was just browsing the site and noticed this thread, and before I read the first post I thought to myself "Automatic For The People." Boy was I surprised and elated that it was the impetus for this thread!

I know there was a big discussion a few pages back about Pet Sounds, but I still love it.

A little more modern (but not really, as both of the following are more than 20 years old - yikes!): Garbage's self-titled debut and v.20 are, to me, perfect albums.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience:
Electric Ladyland
I have owned this on Vinyl, cassette,CD and on iTunes.
View attachment 1817190
One of my very favorite albums. Near perfect, and I hate to be saying anything negative about it, and I feel like I have been too negative in this thread, but do folks really think "Little Miss Strange" is a good cut? I am more sympathetic to Noel Redding than many are, and I think it must have been very hard for him to work with Hendrix after a while. By sympathy does not make an album perfect!

One of my very favorite albums. Near perfect, and I hate to be saying anything negative about it, and I feel like I have been too negative in this thread, but do folks really think "Little Miss Strange" is a good cut? I am more sympathetic to Noel Redding than many are, and I think it must have been very hard for him to work with Hendrix after a while. By sympathy does not make an album perfect!

I actually really enjoy Little Miss Strange, I find myself every time it comes on the playlist singing and tapping on my steering wheel. I am also a fan of early Beatles and it’s just a quick happy fun song.

Noel Redding thought he was showing up to audition for the Animals because Chase Chandler was running the auditions, but he knew right away playing bass for Jimi was the smart thing to do.

I may be too hard on "Little Miss Strange"--the drums and guitar are not bad--and I do not have too much against most Beatles happy fun songs. There is a fair amount written online about that song and its place on Ladyland. Some think it sticks out as not fitting in with the rest of the album. Maybe that is what I am reacting to.

I read at least in one place that Hendrix encouraged the other two to come up with songs to put on the albums, and that Mitch Mitchell wanted nothing to do with that. I really do not know what all Redding presented for consideration.

I have read various things about how Redding came to try out for the Experience. I think you have it right. I have also read that Redding thought he was trying out as a guitar player, but I do not know that it makes sense that he thought that if the Experience was going to be a trio. I really do not know how much bass he played before the Experience. I have read that Hendrix himself was a fabulous bass player. I do think Redding made the right choice. I am just sympathetic to his becoming unhappy after a while.

Top Bottom