1b - Sound Garden "Superunknown"

2nds
Black Sabbath "We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll"
Metalica "And Justice For All"
Almond Brothers "Eat a Peach"
Lynyrd Skynyrd "Second Helping"

Boston released in 76’
IMG_1610.jpeg

Interesting that folks are advocating Texas Flood as a perfect album. I truly love SRV as a player. But not so much as a songwriter. I do not remember listening to this album cut by cut all the way through very often. Also, I admit it has been a while since I istened to this album, but as I recall the production seemed kind of weak, with SRV so out front in the mix as to seem really unbalanced, as good as he was. Later albums did a better production job, as I recall. So not perfect. But to each his own. SRV was one of the greats.

Tommy feels like it has some filler to me. Looking over the track list, I am not sure what as would flag as less than perfect. Maybe "Fiddle About." Maybe "Cousin Kevin." I realize that as an opera it needs certan things to carrry the narrative. I love The Who. I love Townsend.

I am a big Stones fan, but I am not even sure Exile is a masterpiece, much less perfect. I understand those who disagree, at least as to masterpiece. I do not think "I Just Want to See His Face" is a great cut. "T*urd on the Run" seems okay, not great. "Stop Breaking Down," seems kind weak. Nice harp part. "Soul Survivor" seems fillerish. I guess I would say that Exile could have been a perfect single album.

Sorry to nit pick, but we are talking "perfect" here. I do not think many groups every even try to put out a perfect album. I would argue that an album does not have to be perfect to be a masterpiece.

The Beastie's License to Ill is an interesting pick! Nice to see the Velvets get some love.

One that I found perfect and have never heard the piano played quite this way on any other recording. The tracks are the best of symphonic Gershwin:
93844861_10222200967273024_3276740814813790208_n.jpg

Did we name the Stones Some Girls album somewhere in this thread? An absolutely fabulous album. I am a little on the fence as to perfect those. To me "Lies" is listenable, but hardly a great song. I think it takes SG out of the perfection realm. And even it didn't, ironically, the title track seems more a novelty to me than even an attempt at a great rock cut. Still, I can see where others would disagree. Interestingly, Wikipedia tells me those two songs were written solely by Jagger. I can see that and why that might be indicative of why they do not seem all that good to me.

Yeah for me Aja has always been number 1. All the work they put to it really paid off. The apex of what can be done in the recoding studio, musically and sonically. DSOTM maybe number two

Top Bottom