What's new

Participation PIF - Czech Out These Blades

20200513_092206.jpg

Razor - Muhle R-41

Which handle is that on the R-41?

First shave with one of the Tigers tonight.

C3544EEA-ECEE-48C2-A50B-7B2AEE1CB01F.jpeg

Rating: 4 / 5

Razor: Merkur 41c
Blade: Tiger Platinum
Brush: Razorock 400 Plissoft
Lather: Tabac Classic
Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum

I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome of this shave. Based on what I've read, I was expecting the Tiger to be a little rough. Quite the opposite. It was quite smooth, and left me with zero nicks or weepers. The shave wasn't as close as the Tatra, which provided a BBS shave. Still, got a DFS from the Tiger, and it was such a comfortable shave that I'm okay with that. Wouldn't necessarily order a hundred of these, but not a bad blade. So far, at least. If QC is a problem with these, that might change.

Tiger Platinum Edge 1 shave 3. Rapira Tech, Cosy Cottage Patchouli & Lemongrass

When I had such an enjoyable shave with this razor and blade last time, it was at the back of my mind that this could have been in large part down to the Stirling soap, which I had used for the first time in a while. Today's shave seems to confirm this.

Cosy Cottage is a UK-based vegan, ethical soap brand that seems to focus more on bath soaps and shampoo bars - this is the only shave soap in the range. I managed to get a lather so weedy that it needed reapplying before I could complete my first pass, and the puck sounded like a bowl of rice crispies as it snapped, crackled and popped its way back to its original state during the shave. I'm not excluding user error, so I'll give it another go when I shave with the stainless blade on Saturday, but I'll be returning to the reliability of a Palmolive stick for the Platinum's next attempt.

Despite my travails I achieved quite a good result, and although there was a fair degree of alum sting, there's been no irritation on my face. The blade at least is a good performer.

Are these the same blades in different packaging?

Thanks for the chance to try some blades that are new to me! So I have no preconceptions whatsoever.

PURPOSE. To give each option a fair trial, answer the question and pick a favorite.

METHODS.

Prep:
Hot shower then CereVe face wash.

Razor: Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle.

Brush: 2 or 3-band badger from my rotation.

Soap: Cella for blade 1, then assorted Fine options for blade 2.

After: Floid vigoroso for blade 1, then La Toja splash for blade 2.

Rating: My usual 10 point system after each shave.

RESULTS.

TATRA blade 1
Shave #1: 8
Shave #2: 8.5
Shave #3: 8.5
Shave #4: 8.5
Shave #5: 8.5
Shave #6: 8.5

Shave 4 with Tatra blade and same JAWS razor. Very nice three pass shave with zero issues during or irritation afterwards. This blade is getting better and better once the coating had worn off (???i believe). I’m now planning on running this razor until the blade falls off followed be same razor with tiger. After that I might try a few mild razors just to see where this blade stands in them. Impressed.

Blade Wars - Shave 3
I could feel black cutting the hairs on both passes. It slowed down, but chopped it's way through the wiry whiskers near my chin. Silver was smooth on my cheeks - smoother than black - but it struggled getting though the whiskers near my chin. I get the sense that silver may peter out soon.

Fifth shave with my Tiger blade. After a great shave last night putting it in a comfortable and efficient razor, putting a rough shaving blade in one of my roughest shaving razor was not a good idea. At least I know now that last noght's shave wasn't partially because the blade mellowed.

WTG pass was rough as usual and ATG pass was rougher than usual. The only good thing about tonight's shave was that the two passes was efficient enough for me to not need to do an XTG pass and was able to get away with just touch up.

Tomorrow I take a break because Friday is reserved for Feather AC shaves. I will finish my sixth shave Saturday loading the Tiger in one of my bakelite razors. Next week I will start the Tatra, hoping the shaves will be better.

Eighth shave with Tatra Platinum Blade #1

May 13
: Maggard V3.

Another relaxing, effortless shave. All passes (WTG, ATG, XTG) were smooth and uneventful. No buffing today.

I'm still impressed by the Tatra's consistency; each shave has been similar to the one before.

First shave with Tiger Platinum Blade #2

May 14
: Maggard V3. I'm switching to a new blade (Tiger Platinum Blade #2).

I felt a great deal of trepidation trying another Tiger blade because the first one was so inconsistent. My mind was not eased when, out of the wrapper, the second blade had what appeared to be a slight transverse bow (i.e. bent in the middle, opposite to the way a blade is bent when tightened in a razor). It looks similar to the bent blades that @Grundi found. Tiger's dubious quality control seems to have reared its ugly head, again.

However, when I inserted the blade into the razor, tightened it down, then took it out and looked at it, the bow seemed to have disappeared. Not exactly confidence-inspiring, but I'm going to throw caution to the wind and give it a try.

Right away, the feeling of roughness is there, just like the first Tiger blade. I also detect the same sensation of extreme sharpness, almost to the point of jaggedness, that I felt with the first blade. But, having endured seven reckless shaves with the first Tiger, I have a very good idea of what to watch for!

As expected, I had to go slowly and focus on my technique. And, as a result, I ended up with a mediocre, almost stressful shave. The WTG pass was reasonably good, but the ATG and XTG passes filled me with dread. Overall, I did receive an extremely close shave, but at the cost of smoothness, comfort, or any sense of enjoyment.

In that regard, this new blade is practically a clone of the first blade. Obviously, the eccentric behaviours that I (and others in this thread) have experienced are characteristics of the entire Tiger brand, not just individual blades. Therefore, I fully expect this blade to perform similarly to the first blade (i.e. unrefined, inconsistent, unpredictable).

On that basis alone, I would not use Tiger blades again.

Eighth shave with Tatra Platinum Blade #1

May 13
: Maggard V3.

Another relaxing, effortless shave. All passes (WTG, ATG, XTG) were smooth and uneventful. No buffing today.

I'm still impressed by the Tatra's consistency; each shave has been similar to the one before.

First shave with Tiger Platinum Blade #2

May 14
: Maggard V3. I'm switching to a new blade (Tiger Platinum Blade #2).

I felt a great deal of trepidation trying another Tiger blade because the first one was so inconsistent. My mind was not eased when, out of the wrapper, the second blade had what appeared to be a slight transverse bow (i.e. bent in the middle, opposite to the way a blade is bent when tightened in a razor). It looks similar to the bent blades that @Grundi found. Tiger's dubious quality control seems to have reared its ugly head, again.

However, when I inserted the blade into the razor, tightened it down, then took it out and looked at it, the bow seemed to have disappeared. Not exactly confidence-inspiring, but I'm going to throw caution to the wind and give it a try.

Right away, the feeling of roughness is there, just like the first Tiger blade. I also detect the same sensation of extreme sharpness, almost to the point of jaggedness, that I felt with the first blade. But, having endured seven reckless shaves with the first Tiger, I have a very good idea of what to watch for!

As expected, I had to go slowly and focus on my technique. And, as a result, I ended up with a mediocre, almost stressful shave. The WTG pass was reasonably good, but the ATG and XTG passes filled me with dread. Overall, I did receive an extremely close shave, but at the cost of smoothness, comfort, or any sense of enjoyment.

In that regard, this new blade is practically a clone of the first blade. Obviously, the eccentric behaviours that I (and others in this thread) have experienced are characteristics of the entire Tiger brand, not just individual blades. Therefore, I fully expect this blade to perform similarly to the first blade (i.e. unrefined, inconsistent, unpredictable).

On that basis alone, I would not use Tiger blades again.
Maybe good for use in a shavette? Will check mine when I get to them...

Tatara #2
Face shave
Razor: Ej 89
Holly Kaw donkey
Sagrada familia
Pinaud Vanilla
AQ Velva 5-1

Smooth shave, close enough, 3 passes + touchups

Had some burning
8/10 no issues.

I guess I'll try another medium efficiency razor next or some Vintage Gillette.

Headshave was w RR GC.84 and Permasharp this time. EJ is not good enough for the head.

I do not participate in the PIF, but maybe there is an explanation...

Some time ago I received 5 blades "Tiger" which I had never used. Reading this thread, I started using them three days ago. My thought was to compare the results of this PIF with mine. I also wanted to rotate my razors every day to find the best combo for this blade.

Today would be my third day to use with a X3 razor. Yesterday (second day) I used it with Fatip Piccolo OC. Changing the blade from Fatip Piccolo, I noticed the blade was full of RUST!

I used a new blade to my X3, just to see what happens concerning the rust in the next days. Here is a picture
20200515_080910.jpg

Tiger Blade #1, shave #1

This blade is terrific as well. My prep included showering, washing my face with QED Australian Red Clay facial soap and applying Proraso Pre-Shave. My setup was my Gillette SS, Simpsons Colonel X2L, Mystic Waters Eucalyptus and Spearmint soap, and Proraso AS Splash.

20200515_053700.jpg

The blade came in stylish packaging and was double wrapped. I like that because there was no adhesive on it to wipe off.

20200515_053723.jpg

20200515_053813.jpg

I had two-day growth, and while I was tempted to shave yesterday I waited so I could use it in my SS instead of a slant. I feel I get the best gauge of a blade's performance in that razor.

The shave was excellent. The blade was mild and smooth, but did a good job removing the stubble. I did my normal 2-pass shave with touch-ups. No nicks or weepers. I would classify it as a DFS, but close to BBS. I'd prefer a slightly sharper blade as it would have achieved BBS with this shave, but overall the blade is nice. I give this shave an 8.5.

Are these the same blades in different packaging?

Thanks for the chance to try some blades that are new to me! So I have no preconceptions whatsoever.

PURPOSE. To give each option a fair trial, answer the question and pick a favorite.

METHODS.

Prep:
Hot shower then CereVe face wash.

Razor: Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle.

Brush: 2 or 3-band badger from my rotation.

Soap: Cella for blade 1, then assorted Fine options for blade 2.

After: Floid vigoroso for blade 1, then La Toja splash for blade 2.

Rating: My usual 10 point system after each shave.

RESULTS.

TATRA blade 1
Shave #1: 8
Shave #2: 8.5
Shave #3: 8.5
Shave #4: 8.5
Shave #5: 8.5
Shave #6: 8.5
Shave #7: 8.5
average: 8.4

My aim is to shave with each blade in 10 different razors, and with a different soap and aftershave every day. No real science here.

Tiger Shave #6 - Thursday
Razor: Rockwell 6C, plate 6
Soap: Cella
A/S: Cella

The blade felt just fine again, even on its sixth use, with no change in behavior from any of the previous shaves. I’m impressed!

The razor, on the other hand, isn’t something I’ll be reaching for often. It feels clunky and chunky, but it did do a fairly decent job giving me a near DFS. Plate 6 isn’t really close to the aggressiveness/efficiency of my R96, R41, GC84, or CGL2,which was surprising to me. Maybe I just need to learn it.

The soap and aftershave are always a joy. :)

B9AD9A55-8469-4CF4-97B5-0FAC1BEBE1F0.jpeg

4th shave with the Tatra
Usual suspects.
Tabac
Universal full blade shavette
444 Balm
H&V C&CC

Excellent shave again!
This blade continues to blow my hair back - or what's left of it:)
Every bit as nice as the first shave with no signs of deterioration at this point.
It is a blade I had never even heard of but will not soon forget.
Very smooth, very sharp.

The continuing experiment part two...

prep.: PAA Cube 2.0 pre-shave soap, non scented.
Soap: Cella Red, Marco method, face lathered
Brush: Zenith horse hair
Razor Blade: Tiger Platinum. (1st use)
Razor Rockwell 6s, plate 3
Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Thayers Witch Hazel Coconut water
Cella Aftershave Balm
PAA Chella Cool menthol aftershave

Tried my first shave with the Tiger blade. Again attempted to exactly reproduce everything from the first shave with Tatra. Notably this produced a completely different result. The standard 3 passes produced an excellent bbs shave all the way around. Unlike the Tatra blade there was no tugging at any point. This was just an excellent shave with an excellent razor blade. I am intrigued by this because in other threads I have come across that state that the factory has itself confirmed that Tatra's and Tigers are the same blade in different packaging. I have a completely different result from these two blades.

more tomorrow...

Tatra Shave #3
Razor: Merkur 38c
Soap: Proraso Red
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze
AS: Pinaud Clubman Original

Hot shower prep. I feel this blade hasn't declined at all with 2.5 days growth about the same as last shave did WTG, skipped xtg, then ATG everything smooth no nicks/weepers with this blade.

Shave#??? - Czech'ing Out The Tiger Platinum Blade

Razor:
Gillette Slim (4/WTG and 4/ATG)
Soap: Tabac Shave Stick, PdP 63, Wilkinson Shave Stick, then back to Tabac

Posting Note: I've had my kids over for the past week, and we've had a blast, but my posting has been a bit sporadic and my shave tracking has gotten all wonky.

Results: the Tiger Blade did a decent job, but, for me, not quite as good as the Tatra Blade. On the first 3 shaves, I had 1 or 2 weepers and some irritation; however, I did achieve a DFS shave. On the 4th shave, it was a battle for survival, 4 weepers, blade burn, lots of drama, but I SURVIVED!! My whiskers seem to wreck havoc with some of these blades.

Yesterday (second day) I used it with Fatip Piccolo OC. Changing the blade from Fatip Piccolo, I noticed the blade was full of RUST!

View attachment 1100233
Yeah, that's pretty alarming. :blink:

Luckily, I haven't seen corrosion on the three blades that I've tested. In fact, they all look much cleaner than when they came out of their wrappers. (That wax they use is quite sticky.)

They've received the same post-shave treatment that I use for any blade: Take the blade out of the razor, rinse it under warm water, pat it on a towel (no wiping or rubbing), lay it gently in its wax wrapper, and put it back on a shelf in the medicine cabinet.

If anything, my routine and bathroom environment should be conducive to having rust form on the blades. But, in 30+ years, not a spot. Anyway, here's a photo...

From left to right: Tatra Blade #1 (9 uses); Tiger Blade #1 (7 uses); Tiger Blade #2 (1 use).

proxy.php

Top Bottom