What's new

P&G/Gillette is moving from Russia to India?

Well I wanted to try GSB and Perma Sharps eventually so I ordered 100 of each just in case they change. I have a ton of Wizamet, Astra and lab blues so not going to buy more of those now. Hopefully production doesn't change.

I expect that when I come back to this thread it will be 10 pages deep.

I have a lot of blades but not enough to make up for this. Yes, India can make good blades but are they going to be the same as the Russian ones... unlikely. I generally knew what to expect when I got blades from Russia and likewise India. I enjoyed them both for different reasons but this could change things for both of them. Will quality suffer for both, will this result in a greater availability and distribution of already excellent Indian blades? I hope it's just the later and not the former.

I'm gonna have to hold my tongue about the current situation in that region.

They might as well make them all in US now to be honest or build facilities in other friendly countries such as the UK, Australia, New Zealand Canada etc maybe even the Philippines.

And in other shaving news..

A demonstration by tailless sheep turned ugly in Turkey today, when the CEO of the Arko! company was spotted in his modestly priced car.

"We believe this has something to do with the world-wide tallow crisis" Stated a spokesperson for the Turkish Government.
Week Sheep GIF

Last edited:
I have had excellent results from Indian made blades.

Gillette/Wilkinson Sword "Saloon". An excellent, straightforward blade, good for 3 shaves. Highly economical.

Super Max Diamond Edge. A great blade, very reminiscent of the Gillette Platinum. Well priced.

7 O'clock Diamond Edge, or 'Black Ninjas'.* Top notch, to me they are similar to Wizamets, however they lack the longevity of the Wizzies slightly. Maybe 6 good shaves to the Wizzie's 9. Somewhat over-priced recently however.

India is quite capable of making excellent blades in all performance and price categories.

*Edit. As has been pointed out, I was of course referring to the 7 O'clock Super Platinum.

Last edited:
I have had excellent results from Indian made blades.

Gillette/Wilkinson Sword "Saloon". An excellent, straightforward blade, good for 3 shaves. Highly economical.

Super Max Diamond Edge. A great blade, very reminiscent of the Gillette Platinum. Well priced.

7 O'clock Diamond Edge, or 'Black Ninjas'. Top notch, to me they are similar to Wizamets. Somewhat over-priced recently however.

India is quite capable of making excellent blades in all performance and price categories.
I don't mind the Gillette/Wilkinson Sword Saloon blades. I have noticed that the centre/center hole punch can be a little smaller than other blades though, not a huge issue but can be snug on some razors.

I have never had the opportunity to try the Super Max blades of any sort but I hear good things. If those ones in particular blades are anything like my beloved Gillette Platinum blades then they're a winner in my books.

Do you mean the 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blades? If so then yes, they are pretty great but they have never been super affordable or easy to acquire for me.

yes they are but I am just worried if they are going to take on more duties is production/quality control going to take a hit. I doubt it but I also hope not.

Do you mean the 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blades? If so then yes, they are pretty great but they have never been super affordable or easy to acquire for me.
Yes, a typo/brain fart on my part there. Sorry about that!

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
For all we know, they import the blades in bulk crates from Russia and package them in India.
True. But also true that our individual personal responsibility to make ethical consumer choices only goes so far. We can't be expected to check the full provenance of every item we buy in this world, even brand new ones. That is what we have rules and regulations and trade agreements for, however imperfect.

Even if repackaging is currently happening, chances are it is just a transition phase while India cranks up its blade manufacturing. They are not going to let a good opportunity to take some long-term business from another country go past. Nobody else does.

FWIW I think Russian Gillettes are better blades but I get better shaves with Indian Gillettes. 365, 7 Permasharp/Black - seem to suit my face and razors better than all the Russian Gillettes I have used.

I think an Indian made Astra SP has every chance of being as good as the Russian one.

I guess it's just weird to imagine some blades that have been made in Russia for so long being made elsewhere.

Just because India scores the contract for the blades it doesn't necessarily mean they get updated machinery, management or workforce.

I feel like Dorcos was a more planned move but speaking about that it reminds me why this situation sucks because other than one or two places websites/stores don't always update their website to reflect changes unless you prod them about the stuff so its not always easy to tell where stuff is coming from or if ingredients are still the same. Similar situation with the MWF ingredients change.

Top Bottom