What's new

Our little brush project ... How are we doing?

Hi Aart
Back to "Lacquer". Are you using what we call lacquer in the States, or are you actually using a Urethane product that we would call varnish here? I've never heard of using lacquer on a boat or a floor, so I suspect this is a language thing - ???? By the way, it has been a real treat to watch the progress of your work on this thread. Congratulations on your art and your craft!
Skip

It indeed says polyurethane so I guess you are right. It indeed is a language fault.

Regards Aart

Thanks, Aart. Finish mystery solved. Floor Polyurethane should work just fine, and last forever, given the abuse it must be designed to protect floors from. I understand what you meant about boat varnish turning dark. It is formulated with a UV inhibitor, and does darken naturally. You might try a tung oil product before your put the Poly on - it will soak in to the wood, and protect from water "from the inside out" Cooncat Bob uses a 3 part finish made from Poly, tung oil and Linseed oil. Then again, your have a very successful finishing system worked out, so why change? I especially like the low gloss finishes you are using. Keep up the excellent work!

Wim asked for wenge simpson 56 look a like.
Well finally I am ready to post a pict.
O I forgot the brush has not been glued yet..:001_smile

... and the other one, with a knot:

proxy.php

Tomorrow, I have been told, the lacquering is ready.

Gorgeous handle - very very nice... ahhhh... I was thinking of using a golfball to make a handle, but I gave up after I thought too much about it.
Your handle has sparked me to continue to work on that project, but I think i might try it with a billiard ball instead.

Gorgeous handle - very very nice... ahhhh... I was thinking of using a golfball to make a handle, but I gave up after I thought too much about it.
Your handle has sparked me to continue to work on that project, but I think i might try it with a billiard ball instead.

I am not a frequent player but is a billiard ball not a little bit heavy for shaving?

We made some new pics!

First, a picture of two oak chubbies made on request for some Australian friends.
I think these are both TGN Finest, 22 mm.

Another picture, this time of our 'tonneau' style brushes.
This one is quite large, and fitted with a TGN 22 mm also (set a bit higher).

I once more forgot about the wood it is made of (but we can always ask Aart to chime in if we want to know).

Found this thread in another thread about soap making and I am glad I did. Those are beautiful brushes. Any updates or new handles?

Yes, there's more to come.
We are waiting for some handles to finish and then glue the handles in.

Also, there's a couple of new initiatives in acacia wood.

We'll keep you posted.

Finally, a new one!

Our 56-type is ready.
We planned it in kevazingo, but it turned out a beautiful brush in wenge.
I think the pattern on this one came out very well.

Knot is a 22mm TGN finest, one of our favorites.
In the pics, I have tried it twice, so it is in bloom already.

The lacquering is the best up till now, Aart did a wonderful job.

For comparison, the old Wee Scot and a 2010 Limited Edition Silvertip from Semogue.

There's more to come!

Attachments

• $P1030921.jpg
    $P1030921.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 111
  • $P1030922.jpg
    $P1030922.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 110
  • $P1030923.jpg
    $P1030923.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Incredible, all of them, but I love that reverse bulb handle, first time I've seen that shape.

Keep up the great work, I think you got something there.

Top Bottom