What's new

Our little brush project ... How are we doing?

This one seems promising:

proxy.php

I did not know Pendemonium.
Thanks for that great tip!

Indeed does looks good. Maybe something worth trying next time?

Thanks for the help!

I will add your info to my "making shaving brush" notes.

I notice that you guys are from the Netherlands. We have a good friend up in Maine who is from the Nederlands (as she pronounces it).

We gave her a magnet a few years back which states "If You Aint Dutch, You Aint Much". She proudly keeps it on her refrigerator and it is always good for some humor.

The phrase actually refers to the Pennsylvania Dutch but it was close enough for my purposes.

Hello,

Thanks for that idea, we might give it a try.

The LE:
full

Though we also might stick to that Persian jar, the shapes seem pretty similar.

I am sure in African Blackwood or in Iroko it would look fantastic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Just to keep y'all posted:

We returned today from the Arnhemse Fijnhouthandel in the east of The Netherlands with some new wood:

First, we got ourselves the most beautiful piece of Wengé.

proxy.php

Absolutely stunning.
This is going to deliver some great Chubbies!

Then, new for us, some Ipe.
Also known as Surinam Greenhart.

proxy.php

There's some TGN boars waiting for this!

Then, some European oak as we had some orders in the pipeline.

proxy.php

And fionally, last but not least some Kevazingo (also known as Bubinga)

proxy.php

Absolutely stunning.
I reserved some of this for my new Simpson 56 inspired brush!

Why is Aart still no vendor ;-)

Hello,

Just to keep y'all posted:

We returned today from the Arnhemse Fijnhouthandel in the east of The Netherlands with some new wood:

First, we got ourselves the most beautiful piece of Wengé.

proxy.php

Absolutely stunning.
This is going to deliver some great Chubbies!

Then, new for us, some Ipe.
Also known as Surinam Greenhart.

proxy.php

There's some TGN boars waiting for this!

Then, some European oak as we had some orders in the pipeline.

proxy.php

And fionally, last but not least some Kevazingo (also known as Bubinga)

proxy.php

Absolutely stunning.
I reserved some of this for my new Simpson 56 inspired brush!

Why is Aart still no vendor ;-)

Let me explain.

I am (Aart) not a vendor because the whole thread might have to move with me to the vendor corner, originally Wim started the thread to show our experiment in making handles maybe even to get advise and to bee hoonest it got a bit out of hand. The thread has evolved in showing our latest achievements with different wood types, styles etc etc... Let it be clear I make handles by hand as a hobby and cannot spend an unlimited amount of time in making them. So each handle is unique in its shape and if applicable made on request with a considerable delivery time (a bit to long even for my taste:blushing:).

However if the moderators are starting to feel like I should becoming a vendor I would not argue with them. I made a few on request for B&B members and I had great fun doing it for them. It is always nice if the things you make are used.

Greetings Aart

Hello All,

It has been a while since I last posted new creations. I have been finishing a couple of models that have been presented earlier but had no owner. In some cases I found someone describing a handle I had lying around in an old shoebox so I only had to finish the preparation and glue the knot in it.
Since we have made a lot of experiments like different types of wood shapes etc .. the shoebox is still far from empty.

The photo's shown in this post are partially replica's of models we made earlier I will try to give insight in what I was asked for. For the first brush I was asked to make something like the B&B limeted edition. I finished it with a satin gloss lacquer

Making all these brushes sometimes results in pieces of wood making one wonder if it can't be used for something else.
This led to 2 new brushes a bit simular like and inspired by the wee scot made by simpson. One was made out a a small piece of wood from a american nut. The other one is made out of a couple a pieces of wood I glued together. In the middle it is american nut the outer pieces a more reddish type of wood.

One is finished with a satin gloss the other with high gloss. I used the high gloss because I think it shows the differences between the two types of wood better. The knot is a 16 mm from TGN (as always). In the middel I placed a more or less regular chubby (for dimensioning purposes, unfortunately this caught the focus of the camera).

Last but not least I got a request for oak handles. A good friend of us asked me to make him 2 firm chubby like handles in oak. The other two are for friends of my family a look somewhat like a handle I use myself, It may not be the most exciting shape but I find it very comfortable. This is it for now, my next project might be a lookalike of the simpson 56 as he posted earlier on. :glare:

I am really curious about what kind of lacquer you are using. Obviously, what ever it is, it must be working well. The lacquers I have tried in Minnesota have not worked well. It has trapped water in the finish, and turned dull. You must be using a different type of lac than I tried. Your work is amazing!

I am really curious about what kind of lacquer you are using. Obviously, what ever it is, it must be working well. The lacquers I have tried in Minnesota have not worked well. It has trapped water in the finish, and turned dull. You must be using a different type of lac than I tried. Your work is amazing!

First of all I do not use water based lacquers.
For the satin gloss I use a floor lacquer. For the high gloss I previously used a yacht lacquer made by a company called Rambo. At this moment I use an indoor lacquer that should have an excellent water resistance.
My experience is that the yacht lacquer turns gelly after a while that's the reason I changed.
Since every lacquer has its own advantage (and disadvantage) I might be wise to visit a local store for specialiced advice since brands may vary.

Regards Aart

Last but not least I got a request for oak handles. A good friend of us asked me to make him 2 firm chubby like handles in oak. The other two are for friends of my family a look somewhat like a handle I use myself, It may not be the most exciting shape but I find it very comfortable. This is it for now, my next project might be a lookalike of the simpson 56 as he posted earlier on. :glare:

Great pics again, Aart!

Nice touch to put Teigetje (the Cat) in!

Any chance of pics of my black Nomega 49?

Hi Aart
Back to "Lacquer". Are you using what we call lacquer in the States, or are you actually using a Urethane product that we would call varnish here? I've never heard of using lacquer on a boat or a floor, so I suspect this is a language thing - ???? By the way, it has been a real treat to watch the progress of your work on this thread. Congratulations on your art and your craft!
Skip

Hello,

Aart probably could inform you about the lists of ingredients.

We changed from the boat stuff to parquet flooring stuff, if I remember correctly.

Wim

Top Bottom