What's new

Order of the Veg Unmasked

Just did a "Veg-off".

The new version, decanted into a glass hot sauce bottle over a year ago, and the vintage formula that began its life in a glass bottle (40?...50?) years ago.

I rubbed some of each on the back of my hands and sniffed after a half hour, and the old stuff smells better to me. It's a bit more powdery with less lilac, so less funerary. The new stuff is still a bit gut-wrenching, way to floral in comparison, and smells a bit weaker after dry down...probably a good thing.

I actually think I could wear the old, and may try it after tomorrow's shave.

Screenshot_20240525_204817_Gallery.jpg

Just did a "Veg-off".

The new version, decanted into a glass hot sauce bottle over a year ago, and the vintage formula that began its life in a glass bottle (40?...50?) years ago.

I rubbed some of each on the back of my hands and sniffed after a half hour, and the old stuff smells better to me. It's a bit more powdery with less lilac, so less funerary. The new stuff is still a bit gut-wrenching, way to floral in comparison, and smells a bit weaker after dry down...probably a good thing.

I actually think I could wear the old, and may try it after tomorrow's shave.

View attachment 1852263

I found a large barbershop glass bottle of the stuff, full, with a label suggesting 1930s production. It was definitely pre-war commercial art. And the liquid was clear, like water. Not yellow.

The vendor wanted $60. I'm whimsical, but not $60 whimsical.

I too wish to try this Lilac Vegetables.

It seems to be well-liked by confident Gentlemen of character.

Was that the M110 203mm SPG you were running with in the 90's @AshleyC btw?
Yes, those stayed in the U.S. inventory until the late 199Os, I think. I was in an Army Reserve artillery battalion.

I never did hear what we did with all those guns and whatever shells and powder lots that remained. I'd like to think we gave them to Taiwan or some such deserving ally. But in today's artillery world of fire three rounds and scoot to another firing point as quick as you can, the M110 is from a different era. I imagine 18 of those babies registered in on the few beaches Taiwan has that are suitable for amphibious landing would make any sane person re-think a landing attempt.

Yes, those stayed in the U.S. inventory until the late 199Os, I think. I was in an Army Reserve artillery battalion.

I never did hear what we did with all those guns and whatever shells and powder lots that remained. I'd like to think we gave them to Taiwan or some such deserving ally. But in today's artillery world of fire three rounds and scoot to another firing point as quick as you can, the M110 is from a different era. I imagine 18 of those babies registered in on the few beaches Taiwan has that are suitable for amphibious landing would make any sane person re-think a landing attempt.
Apologies, I self deleted the post as I considered it would derail the thread, but that is a very astute comment you make.

Thanks for keeping my comment for posterity!

Now, back to our arko!-like lurve hate discussion.

I would genuinely like to try the stuff.

Apologies, I self deleted the post as I considered it would derail the thread, but that is a very astute comment you make.

Thanks for keeping my comment for posterity!

Now, back to our arko!-like lurve hate discussion.

I would genuinely like to try the stuff.
It would be impossible for me to not comment on matters artillery if prompted. I guess one of the "veteran" comment threads would be the better place.

A pic of mine from 2016, demonstrating that there's something magical about the veg!
View attachment 1852283
*the bottle is a repurposed Curacao.
20240512_104224.jpg

My precious vintage glass bottle there. I had to first pour the Veg into an empty Kroger bottle of witch hazel that had a spout small enough to fit into the Veg bottle opening.

I am currently using up a bottle of Frank's Red Hot so I can clean it out and decant Pinaud's other world-beating scent into it. Special Reserve. Then I might look into lamination and label-making for it on the computer...because like the 1960s Bat Cave, everything should be labeled.

I found a large barbershop glass bottle of the stuff, full, with a label suggesting 1930s production. It was definitely pre-war commercial art. And the liquid was clear, like water. Not yellow.

The vendor wanted $60. I'm whimsical, but not $60 whimsical.

I found mine on ebay last year for $21 and $6 shipping. Honestly, I was buying the bottle. I had already tried the Veg and knew I didn't care for it.

View attachment 1852284
My precious vintage glass bottle there. I had to first pour the Veg into an empty Kroger bottle of witch hazel that had a spout small enough to fit into the Veg bottle opening.

I am currently using up a bottle of Frank's Red Hot so I can clean it out and decant Pinaud's other world-beating scent into it. Special Reserve. Then I might look into lamination and label-making for it on the computer...because like the 1960s Bat Cave, everything should be labeled.
You’d be better off splashing on the Frank’s Red Hot as an aftershave.

When I first noticed the Order of the Veg thread I was intrigued. I read the glowing reviews of this olfactory wonder and knew I had to have it. I wanted to share in the experience and join the ranks of the noble order.

I sought it out and found it, a single bottle in a discount pharmacy. It was so tightly sealed that I couldn’t sample it, but I bought it scent unsmelled. With much anticipation I opened it at home and took a whiff. Uuuuggghhh! was my first reaction.

Perhaps it was better when applied? I shaved as usual, rinsed off and splashed on a healthy dose. Still uuuggghhh!

An hour later, I smelled even worse. And I had 12 ozs. of the stuff. And then it hit me. I was pranked, it was a gag, I was suckered and now they all could have their big laugh at my smelly expense. Hah, hah.

But as the weeks went by I realized something: anyone who would go out in public willingly smelling like a jiffy-john was one courageous fellow. It took a real man to stink like that in polite company. I began to feel differently about it. Maybe that’s what the Order of the Veg is all about, brave men who go forth reeking of cat pee and funeral home unashamed of their stench, offending the nostrils of all they encounter without concern, secure in the self that lurks beneath the odor. It takes a real man to walk around smelling like this.

So fellow stinkers, be proud of your stink, wear it boldly, for it is the stench of honor, of dignity and, most of all, courage. All hail the Order of the Veg !!! I proudly proclaim my membership

As another ‘not chosen’ victim, I sympathize! :sob::sob:

Top Bottom