What's new

Order of the Veg Unmasked

When I first noticed the Order of the Veg thread I was intrigued. I read the glowing reviews of this olfactory wonder and knew I had to have it. I wanted to share in the experience and join the ranks of the noble order.

I sought it out and found it, a single bottle in a discount pharmacy. It was so tightly sealed that I couldn’t sample it, but I bought it scent unsmelled. With much anticipation I opened it at home and took a whiff. Uuuuggghhh! was my first reaction.

Perhaps it was better when applied? I shaved as usual, rinsed off and splashed on a healthy dose. Still uuuggghhh!

An hour later, I smelled even worse. And I had 12 ozs. of the stuff. And then it hit me. I was pranked, it was a gag, I was suckered and now they all could have their big laugh at my smelly expense. Hah, hah.

But as the weeks went by I realized something: anyone who would go out in public willingly smelling like a jiffy-john was one courageous fellow. It took a real man to stink like that in polite company. I began to feel differently about it. Maybe that’s what the Order of the Veg is all about, brave men who go forth reeking of cat pee and funeral home unashamed of their stench, offending the nostrils of all they encounter without concern, secure in the self that lurks beneath the odor. It takes a real man to walk around smelling like this.

So fellow stinkers, be proud of your stink, wear it boldly, for it is the stench of honor, of dignity and, most of all, courage. All hail the Order of the Veg !!! I proudly proclaim my membership

When I first noticed the Order of the Veg thread I was intrigued...

Well, lilac is a traditional barbershop scent -- just not that particular lilac.

I got a bottle of the Gabel's Lilac just to try it since it was pretty inexpensive. It's kind of nice; reminds me of an actual lilac bush. The scent is mostly inoffensive floral and green leaves. You have to be in the mood for it, but it's not bad. It settles down after about 15 or 20 minutes.

1716670086360.png

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
50% of the population produces an odor in their urine after eating asparagus.
35% of the population sneeze repeatedly when exposed to bright light.
20% of the population have a disorder which affects their ability to smell some things the way the other 80% does.
I don't know if the people who think Lilac Vegetal smells like urine are in that 20%, or if they are in a separate small group that smells cat urine where it doesn't exist.
I just feel sad for them. Honestly. It's like going through life thinking that steak smells like rotten cheese, or that a dozen roses smell like skunk spray.
What a terrible position to be in.
They will never have the enjoyment that the large number of people who regularly buy it do.
And it's been in continuous production, so sales are sufficient to continue making it.
That kind of sales numbers are not one off buys by people getting pranked.

I don't know if the people who think Lilac Vegetal smells like urine are in that 20%, or if they are in a separate small group that smells cat urine where it doesn't exist.
I figure it must be a genetic thing, like how some people perceive cilantro as tasting like soap.

Having just cleaned out the cat's litter box I can say I only wish her urine smelled as nice as Lilac Vegetal.

That said, I can see why some folks find it unpleasant. I *can't* see continuing to use it if you don't like the scent, though.

I figure it must be a genetic thing, like how some people perceive cilantro as tasting like soap.
Yes. Hate the stuff due to the soapy taste.
50% of the population produces an odor in their urine after eating asparagus.
I am also one of the portion of the population that can actually detect "asparagus pee" odor. Many people don't think that they produce the smell, but they're wrong!

I have it on good authority that Lilac Vegtal does not smell like a urinal puck.

Urinal pucks smell like Lilac Vegtal.

And why? Because when the world was first blessed with the scent, the nectar of Lilac Vegtal, urinal pucks did not exist. Nor did urinals, in a world that still had sabre-wielding cavalrymen. People in France were still peeing in the stairwells of Versailles.

So when the first urinal puck was being developed, they had to assign some heavenly fragrance to it. Lilac Vegtal was really the only choice.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

I am also one of the portion of the population that can actually detect "asparagus pee" odor. Many people don't think that they produce the smell, but they're wrong!
I'm told 50% produce it, and 50% can smell it, but it's not opposite or the same 50%. There is some overlap.
I have both abilities, and I'd rather not have the one!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Having just cleaned out the cat's litter box I can say I only wish her urine smelled as nice as Lilac Vegetal.

That said, I can see why some folks find it unpleasant. I *can't* see continuing to use it if you don't like the scent, though.
I can understand not liking a scent. There are many I don't care for.
When asked, I might mention I think a certain scent is unpleasant, but I don't spend time like some folks do posting in every single LV thread, ragging on it, and going on about cat urine.
Likewise with Arko.
I just don't get it.
There'd be reported posts out the yin yang if I went in every thread about popular colognes and aftershaves, or popular soaps and said every scent I don't care for smelled like dead skunk.
Repeatedly.
Obviously not directed at the OP because this was started as a poke fun thread, but there are nasty comments IN EVERY LV OR ARKO thread on this site.

Just had a thought. When is the last time anybody has seen a urinal puck? Do they still have them at professional sports venues? They seem to have disappeared entirely.

I think they're kind of obsolete. They have some liquid chemical that gets mixed into the flushing water, I think.

I can understand not liking a scent. There are many I don't care for.
When asked, I might mention I think a certain scent is unpleasant, but I don't spend time like some folks do posting in every single LV thread, ragging on it, and going on about cat urine.
Likewise with Arko.
I just don't get it.
There'd be reported posts out the yin yang if I went in every thread about popular colognes and aftershaves, or popular soaps and said every scent I don't care for smelled like dead skunk.
Repeatedly.
Obviously not directed at the OP because this was started as a poke fun thread, but there are nasty comments IN EVERY LV OR ARKO thread on this site.
I have a suspicion that threads like these actually lead to the purchase of at least one bottle of LV, if for nothing more than morbid curiosity.

I've two bottles of it myself, one decanted into a vintage LV glass bottle I found in the wild. And I'm a user. I consider it to be whimsical.

I don't get the cat pee smell. It's more of a baby's diaper that has pee it in to me. Powder bomb to boot. I hear rumors that Clubman Classic Vanilla smells like vanilla, but I don't believe them myself.

It took a real man to stink like that in polite company.
That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I'm stealing that.

I'm with you brother. Nasty stuff

Just had a thought. When is the last time anybody has seen a urinal puck? Do they still have them at professional sports venues? They seem to have disappeared entirely.
Many places have switched to these rubber/plastic mat things. They last longer and cut down on backsplash. Here, most have fruity smells like cherry or orange instead of Arko.

This thread brings to mind some comments by Stephen King in his foreword to The Far Side Gallery 2 (1986):
Either these cartoons will do it for you or they will not, just as anchovies do it for some people and other people won't touch them – find them, in fact, so revolting that they will commit the impoliteness of wondering aloud why other people eat them.

All I smell is a wonderful powdery floral barbershop kind of scent. And I love it.

I’ll never understand the horror stories.

My wife prefers the veg to a lot of the other popular aftershaves.

Like Arko. It’s just a clean soap scent. Nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe it’s a forum thing. I don’t know.

Top Bottom