What's new

Open Combs- Gillette Old, Merkur 1904, iKon. How Do They Compare?

Folks,

Can you provide feedback comparing the Gillette New, Merkur 1904, and iKon open comb razors?

Last edited:
1904 is very mild almost like the Gillette Tech of the OC world. I found the Gillette old style a little too angle concious and I never got a good shave from one. The Gillette NEW is a different story though. Short comb (SC) a shark or Astra SP and smooths ville all the way. Cant say about the Ikon, sorry.

I have not tried the 1904 or Ikon, but have an old type in my regular rotation. It is a very efficient razor. You have to be conscious of the blade angle and your technique. This was the second razor I owned and using it has definitely helped me improve my technique. I am not a fan of the ball tip handle (too small for me) and switched it out with a Sabi T1. The longer heaver handle definitely transformed the razor and I find it easier to get a much better shave.

I also own a Fatip with a Parker 99R handle (I like long heavy handles) and a Caudet TP 26 OC. The Caudet is my favorite razor and imo you can't beat it for the price point.

1904 is very mild. Gillette NEW is a nice razor; smooth, simple to find the proper angle, and fairly efficient. As for the iKon, it depends on the model. The one I tried was nice; simple, beautiful, and efficient. The Old Type is quite a bit more aggressive and maybe blade-sensitive. I like it, but it is not a good razor for a beginner, IMO.

1904 is very mild almost like the Gillette Tech of the OC world. I found the Gillette old style a little too angle concious and I never got a good shave from one. The Gillette NEW is a different story though. Short comb (SC) a shark or Astra SP and smooths ville all the way. Cant say about the Ikon, sorry.
Hi. Is the Merkur open comb better than the old type Gillette. I have an old type and the blade completely rests on the plate and is impossible to get a good shave from them . Have seen the Merkur open comb in pics with the blade . Merkur open comb has a different angle and doesn't completely sit on the plate.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Hi. Is the Merkur open comb better than the old type Gillette. I have an old type and the blade completely rests on the plate and is impossible to get a good shave from them . Have seen the Merkur open comb in pics with the blade . Merkur open comb has a different angle and doesn't completely sit on the plate.

depends on who you ask . If I was that guy I could tell you that I have tried both the Merkur and all of Gillette's Open Combs and find The Gillette's to be far Superior and give ME a much better shave. One of My all time favorite razors is a 1920 Gillette Bulldog (old type ) They work for Me.
I did sell all of My Merkurs , because I would never use them.

I actually just picked up a 1904 and shaved this morning. it is very mild but gave me an excellent shave

Top Bottom