What's new

Online Honing Class for Beginners - Are You Interested?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Here are some sources. They may not be the cheapest, just some I found with a quick search.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/10050...lgo_pvid=7b5b990c-77bf-47f9-ae28-e93cc2aab4c2

I’ve been practicing the Method for a while now, but I’d be interested in following along for the info. However, I wouldn’t want to take the spot of someone who is just getting started and really needs the help. Put me down as a backup, or a fill in if someone were to drop out.

I’ve been practicing the Method for a while now, but I’d be interested in following along for the info. However, I wouldn’t want to take the spot of someone who is just getting started and really needs the help. Put me down as a backup, or a fill in if someone were to drop out.
Same for me. Interested in the discussion, and picking up tips for improving my honing. But I have already had some early success following The Method, so I wouldn't want to take a spot from someone who needs it.

@rbscebu would you accept silent observer(s)?

Eben Stone

Staff member
Same for me. Interested in the discussion, and picking up tips for improving my honing. But I have already had some early success following The Method, so I wouldn't want to take a spot from someone who needs it.

@rbscebu would you accept silent observer(s)?
Also, same for me.

@rbscebu I will withdraw. Thanks anyways.

Obviously I was only joshing with you above R... sounds like a very good and interesting thing to do!

It's interesting that both you and @H Brad Boonshaft anticipate a significant amount of time for setting the bevel. I would have thought using the 'burr method' that this would be fairly simple, but clearly not.

Surely though the collective forum wisdom could come up with some kind of standardized paper test for a set bevel? Rather than having to know what you're looking for with a loupe. Paper is an extraordinarily good and versatile test for the condition of an edge, and it should be pretty easy for anyone to get the same type, and have easily comparable results. I know to a certain extent it's about feel, but it should still quite easy to explain how a properly set bevel will cut paper...

Legion

Staff member
Obviously I was only joshing with you above R... sounds like a very good and interesting thing to do!

It's interesting that both you and @H Brad Boonshaft anticipate a significant amount of time for setting the bevel. I would have thought using the 'burr method' that this would be fairly simple, but clearly not.

Surely though the collective forum wisdom could come up with some kind of standardized paper test for a set bevel? Rather than having to know what you're looking for with a loupe. Paper is an extraordinarily good and versatile test for the condition of an edge, and it should be pretty easy for anyone to get the same type, and have easily comparable results. I know to a certain extent it's about feel, but it should still quite easy to explain how a properly set bevel will cut paper...
The go to method for most is to test shave on the arm or leg, checking the whole length of the cutting edge. If it will shave arm hair the bevel is set and you can move on up.

The go to method for most is to test shave on the arm or leg, checking the whole length of the cutting edge. If it will shave arm hair the bevel is set and you can move on up.

I've never actually tried this test, because I don't think I really understand it... if a razor shaves arm hair then why wouldn't it also shave face hair and be completely good to go already?

Arm hair is a lot softer than beard whiskers. ;)

Ah gotcha! Maybe I’ll try next time...

TBH the thing I use most often on both knives and razors is the thumb nail test. Which is extremely accurate for edges at pretty much any stage of a progression. Though requires a fair bit of practice to calibrate a feel for it, and I’m not sure could really be ‘taught’ as such.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I would like to join. I purchased a whole set of films and the plexiglass plate years ago and chickened out on using them. I have a bunch of flea market vintage razors to use for practice, as well as a modded gold dollar that I’ve probably rolled the edge with my poor stropping technique. So now the challenge is to find all that stuff.

Reading the above posts got me thinking, I have been honing for a few years and get my razors to shave ready, never used lapping film which I have coming tomorrow, I have only ordered the finer films to see how I can get on with them. So as others have said, let someone else take my place who is not familiar with honing as it will benefit them more than me.

The trick is FULLY setting the bevel.

There are many test that work, but all tests must be calibrated by the tester. All but the visual test. Calibrating takes time and a lot of trial and error.

Visual test is, quick, easy, non-destructive and tests the whole bevel. If you see any shiny reflection, the bevel is not fully set.

Almost set

Almost set.jpg

Note the shiny reflections

Almost set2.jpg

Fully set, NO reflections.

Fully set.jpg

The edge in photo 1 will shave arm hair and probably pass a hanging hair test for most.

Most try an HHT and it does not cut the hair. They do not say,” That’s a fail.” They try to cut again at a different part of the edge. When it does cut, they tell themselves, it passed the HHT!

Then run through a quick progression and are surprised when it does not shave so well.

Top Bottom