What's new

Online Honing Class for Beginners - Are You Interested?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
There are a few members showing an interest into getting into honing SRs as I am receiving more and more PMs on the subject. If you are interested in joining an online class for beginners in honing just say so in this thread.

The class will be held as a PM group chat on B&B. It will cover using lapping films from setting a bevel through to a good shave-ready edge. Before the class commences, you will first need a straight razor and to put together a lapping film setup as detailed in Annex III of the Traditional SR Shaving Instructions. Materials cost should be under USD 50 plus SR.

Traditional Straight Razor Shaving Instructions for Beginners - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/posts/11721874/

The expected commencement date of this class will be sometime in early August 2022.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Yes I'm in. What would be the time for it though?
It will probably be spread out over a week or more. Most live in different time zones so it will not be like an internet meeting class.

We would start with setting a bevel. That may take 2 to 4 days. Once all in the class have achieved that, we would move on to refining the bevel, another 2 or 3 days. Then we would move to the final stage of finishing the edge to a good shave-ready standard, another 2 or 3 days.

As each student has a problem, they would post their problem in the group for advice from me and others in the group.

This is the first time that I have tried anything like this so we will all be learning one way or another.

It will probably be spread out over a week or more. Most live in different time zones so it will not be like an internet meeting class.

We would start with setting a bevel. That may take 2 to 4 days. Once all in the class have achieved that, we would move on to refining the bevel, another 2 or 3 days. Then we would move to the final stage of finishing the edge to a good shave-ready standard, another 2 or 3 days.

As each student has a problem, they would post their problem in the group for advice from me and others in the group.

This is the first time that I have tried anything like this so we will all be learning one way or another.
There is always a first time and it's commendable that you're doing this.

I have my set of hones and should he able to replicate the tutoring on them and learn a thing or two..

Many thanks for doing this !

I would be interested in the film lapping, I have stones and good with Bevel setting, finishing etc, but after reading about the films I want to have a go at that, good to get experience of every thing about straights, so count me in.

I ,might be interested. I have a brand new Gold dollar straight still in its original shipping grease. I have a spare piece of acrylic. I need lapping film. I found this package will this work?

10 Piece Set Lapping Microfinishing Polishing Film with the following grades: : 0.05 micron (off-white) or 500,000 grit, 0.3 micron (white) or 60,000 grit, 1 micron (light green) or 14,000 grit, 3 micron (pink) or 8,000 grit, 5 micron (brown) or 4500 grit, 9 micron (light blue) or 1800 grit, 12 micron (yellow) or 1200 grit, 30 micron (green) or 600 grit, 40 micron (blue) or 300 and 60 micron (ivory) or 250 grit.
8.5 inches x 11 inches Non-PSA (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive) backing

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I ,might be interested. I have a brand new Gold dollar straight still in its original shipping grease. I have a spare piece of acrylic. I need lapping film. I found this package will this work?

10 Piece Set Lapping Microfinishing Polishing Film with the following grades: : 0.05 micron (off-white) or 500,000 grit, 0.3 micron (white) or 60,000 grit, 1 micron (light green) or 14,000 grit, 3 micron (pink) or 8,000 grit, 5 micron (brown) or 4500 grit, 9 micron (light blue) or 1800 grit, 12 micron (yellow) or 1200 grit, 30 micron (green) or 600 grit, 40 micron (blue) or 300 and 60 micron (ivory) or 250 grit.
8.5 inches x 11 inches Non-PSA (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive) backing
Yes, that will work. You may only be using the 30μm to about the 1μm films.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'd like to try - previous efforts at honing here were less than stellar. Thanks for setting this up

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
So far we have:
  1. @luv2shave
  2. @taffy
  3. @Eben Stone
  4. @garyg
If you don't already have one, start getting your lapping film substrate and a set of lapping films together;
30μm (about 600 grit - optional)​
12μm (about 1.2k grit)​
9μm (about 1.8k grit - optional)​
5μm (about 4.5k grit)​
3μm (about 8k grit (optional)​
1μm (about 14k grit)​
You will also need a SR, Sharpie (permanent marker) pen and loupe (optional).

Sure, rbscebu, you say you are trying to scare people away from SR, then this!!

Can I sit in if I promise to keep my trap shut? I am thinking of picking up my films again, with the intent to work on some of my warped SRs.

Please add me to the list. I have about 6 straights and a set of film from a failed previous attempt to self learn. I would definitely be up for these tutorial sessions. It's a great idea, I am hopeful once again I may finally achieve true self sufficiency in the world of wet shaving.

I have done one on one, on-line, with a USB camera, and it is a handful, two would be tough. Eight, will be… interesting.

Setting the bevel took 20 days, and 52 post. Google, (Second Try at Honing).

You really need a way to look at the student bevels and edges, to see where they are, and what they need, otherwise you are in the blind and they are guessing.

Rock on, rbscebu!

Top Bottom