What's new

[Newbie] How to hone a 2022 Gold Dollar 208?

One thing to watch out for: sometimes when you cut a full sheet of lapping film down to size there is a bit of a lip along the cutting line. I think the happens more if your knife is dull.

Once your film is stuck to the acrylic block, tape a small piece of sandpaper (I use 220 grit because that’s what I have close by) and sand that lip off. Just run it up and down the length a few times. You’ll sand the edge of your block a bit at the same time which is good, sometimes they have a lip from cutting as well.

One more thing. Because your GD is a GD and most GDs need this, you probably should, before trying to set the bevel, reprofile the heel of the razor. The common method is to use a coin as a template, draw a line with a sharpie, and simply remove all the metal outside the line. There are threads about that. I'm sure someone will chime in with links. I'm busy cooking.
See this thread for reprofiling

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
See this thread for reprofiling
Yeah that will do. Once you fix the heel, you have eliminated 90% of all the common GD woes.

I threw mine on stones, without reworking anything. It is a great shaver. And travels with me weekly. Don’t overthink it, set the bevel and work up in stones. Good stropping with paste than leather. You will be good to go’.

Top Bottom