What's new

Online Honing Class for Beginners - Are You Interested?

Hi rbscebu,

I'd liked to get in on the honing class if there is a spot available, provided I can get a razor and there is space. I have just the one I am shaving with right now and it is just back from a restore. I am a week and a half in to SR shaving right now.

You have mentioned the Titan ACRM-2 T.H. 60 a few times, and I was thinking of getting one to use in the class. Aliexpress seems to be having a sale on them now. There are several different options even with these, and I'd like the T.H. 60 as opposed to the harder ones. Some of the selections have plain scales, some with brass around the pivot pin and some with brass around both pins. I like the one with the brass around the pivot pin as I tend to get this wet.

As you have tried several of these, is there one that seems to work better - say for balance or tight opening? Also as long as it says ACRM-2 T.H 60, it should be the same metal right? I saw models HYM and GS and the descriptions are just not quite clear enough for me.

Thanks for any help,

Al

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Hi rbscebu,

I'd liked to get in on the honing class if there is a spot available, provided I can get a razor and there is space. I have just the one I am shaving with right now and it is just back from a restore. I am a week and a half in to SR shaving right now.

You have mentioned the Titan ACRM-2 T.H. 60 a few times, and I was thinking of getting one to use in the class. Aliexpress seems to be having a sale on them now. There are several different options even with these, and I'd like the T.H. 60 as opposed to the harder ones. Some of the selections have plain scales, some with brass around the pivot pin and some with brass around both pins. I like the one with the brass around the pivot pin as I tend to get this wet.

As you have tried several of these, is there one that seems to work better - say for balance or tight opening? Also as long as it says ACRM-2 T.H 60, it should be the same metal right? I saw models HYM and GS and the descriptions are just not quite clear enough for me.

Thanks for any help,

Al
None of their T.H.60 SRs have brass around their pins. There are five models of the T.H.60 and they only differ in their scales. If you want a T.H.60, here are the five models:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1715625753.html?gatewayAdapt=Pc2Msite

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/892051191.html?gatewayAdapt=Pc2Msite

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/892056829.html?gatewayAdapt=Pc2Msite

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32900...7d-8753-60d5ddee77a9-15&gatewayAdapt=Pc2Msite

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thank you!
The last two I linked to might be the better to choose from. Recent ones that I have received have a much better stabiliser design for a beginner, almost none.

IMG_20220715_210131.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
In order of receiving enrolment applications, we have:
  1. @luv2shave
  2. @Slock
  3. @garyg
  4. @MountainBear
  5. @phelix
  6. @ewk
  7. @BaileyJ
  8. @Derwent
  9. @BradWorld
  10. @Bhurley
  11. @acantrel
For watchers (who will sit in but not participate), we have:
I now ask all to confirm their enrolment by Sunday 24 July 2022 2359UTC. The first eight to confirm will be accepted.

I am currently preparing my class notes.

After few of weeks of honing close to 10 to 15 ebay vintage and gold dollars with my hone set, I am consistently getting progressively sharp edges, and now the diamond pastes have arrived too.

I would like to humbly withdraw from participation and give someone else a chance. Would respectfully request to be moved to watchers. Apologies if this causes any inconvenience.

This is going to be a great one for those 8 who participate.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Thanks for organizing this sir -I regretfully will need to pass this time.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I would also like to be added to the list of those who will sit in but not participate.

That's not to say that I'm not looking at getting a few GD66's to work on, as my last one came out pretty nice. Not sure I want to order 10 of them, but if I might spring for 3 or 4 if I can find a good/cheap price.

~doug~

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I just noticed that there appears to be a limit of 6 members in a group PM discussion. That will mean I might have to run two classes simultaneously and not have watchers. We'll see how things pan out.

There will be about 4 lessons; preparation, bevel setting, refining and finishing. Each lesson will be spread over about 2 or 3 days.

Expected start will be Monday 01 August.

That will mean I might have to run two classes simultaneously and not have watchers.

I am dropping out from the watcher queue. Thank you rbscebu for doing this for the community. It will be a big effort, but a great benefit.

I still plan to use my films and some tweaked blocks of acrylic to try to restore the edges of my more badly warped blades. When I get going on that I will post a thread to record my attempts and to look for ideas and support.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Just an idea. Teach some teachers. Create some maestros. It's a force multiplier. You could even make up some nice certificates for the grade of Master Honemeister, or Doctor of Honemeistery, that the successful candidate can download and print. Your disciples could then teach other novices all over the world, wherever their travels take them.

Top Bottom