What's new

Oneblade Core First Impressions

And these Kai's shave as good as the Feathers? It looks like they are industrial or box cutters. I mean I'm open to try anything that works and then settle in on what works best.

For me they are at least as good as the Feather FAS. I have tried them both in my Core, but I prefer the KAI Best.

For me same as the Feather FAS, I get 3 or 4 shaves out of them.
Ok that's all I needed to hear. If they shave as well as the Feathers and I don't have to deal with that sticky stuff I'm ordering them now to try. Thank you for all your help!

Ok that's all I needed to hear. If they shave as well as the Feathers and I don't have to deal with that sticky stuff I'm ordering them now to try. Thank you for all your help!
Indeed, there's no wax on the KAI Best blades. Perhaps a small thing, but still. Hope you like the blades.

are you sure those are for shaving? they say box cutters on them.

They don't actually say box cutters on the package but they don't say for shaving either. The seller lists some mundane usages but what else would he say since so few people on earth use the razor that they were originally made for? The BEST cut-outs fit the Valet razor perfectly. They shave as well or better than the Feather carbon blades that are marked on the package for shaving.

They don't actually say box cutters on the package but they don't say for shaving either. The seller lists some mundane usages but what else would he say since so few people on earth use the razor that they were originally made for? The BEST cut-outs fit the Valet razor perfectly. They shave as well or better than the Feather carbon blades that are marked on the package for shaving.

well they say, "High quality sheet cutter blade!!
For paper, film, sheet"
but if they work for shaving thats great!

Am curious now, do genuine VALET blades fit all of the Valet razors?

I would say yes, they kept moving the alignment pins throughout the Valet slots in the blade. Of the Valets that I have, the BEST blade only fits the VC4 and the early one with no blade alignment pins.

If I'm tracking this correctly, it sounds like the Kai BEST .25 fits in a OB Core without modifying. Does anyone know if this blade also fits in a OB Genesis V2 without modifying?

If I'm tracking this correctly, it sounds like the Kai BEST .25 fits in a OB Core without modifying. Does anyone know if this blade also fits in a OB Genesis V2 without modifying?

In the Core, the blade is held in by the two cutouts at the back of the blade. The FAS, FHS, and BEST blades all have those same two rear cutouts and have the same dimensions. If the Genesis holds the blade the same, I'm assuming it does, then they all should work.

In the Core, the blade is held in by the two cutouts at the back of the blade. The FAS, FHS, and BEST blades all have those same two rear cutouts and have the same dimensions. If the Genesis holds the blade the same, I'm assuming it does, then they all should work.

Makes sense, thank you Sir.

There are two possible issues with the carbon steel blades. The first is they're physically THICKER than the stainless blades. (.230 vs .245 thick, compare the packaging, which lists the thickness). Not sure if that thickness will affect the shave. The second is the carbon blades WILL rust if you leave them in the razor, which may not be a big deal on the Core, being plastic, but carbon steel does and will rust if not dried before putting the razor away. (Just saying).

Not sure anyone has caught onto the fact of the difference in thickness, but they are a bit thicker.

The GEM blade is .009" thick, says it right on the spine. Not sure if that is exact, but that's what they put.

.245mm = .0096" thick
.230mm = .009" thick

I don't know if .0006" really matters.

It is annoying for sure, I used to be bothered by it, tried with soap and hot water, it really reduced, but not completely gone. Now I'm too lazy to do all that.

I don't understand why they need to put lots of gobs there, the carbon version doesn't have much gobs, at first the carbon version seems working better for me, but lately, maybe because of improved skill, I think the steel is better, but I still need to double confirm that with more testing, the carbon version FAS 10 are cheaper compared to the steel FHS 10.

I was on the phone with Dominic today from Oneblade about my Genesis and found out why the Feather blades that come with it and are recommended have that sticky stuff on them. He said they didn't want the blade to be compromised by the paper wrapping in other words, dull the blade so the sticky stuff as I refer to it keeps the paper away from the blade. I told him most of us dislike it and he should take a look at how the GEM blades are packaged with the tan band around them. He's a good guy and they are very open to input from their customers so once again great customer service.

I was on the phone with Dominic today from Oneblade about my Genesis and found out why the Feather blades that come with it and are recommended have that sticky stuff on them. He said they didn't want the blade to be compromised by the paper wrapping in other words, dull the blade so the sticky stuff as I refer to it keeps the paper away from the blade. I told him most of us dislike it and he should take a look at how the GEM blades are packaged with the tan band around them. He's a good guy and they are very open to input from their customers so once again great customer service.

Yes, I think I read somewhere about that reasoning, but I found it's a bit exaggerating since all other kind of blades doesnt use that much gobs, sometimes even none, even the FAS 10 has less gobs.

But I do hope Oneblade will pass this customer inputs to Feathers, and maybe they will think of someway to keep the blade safely inside the packaging, without relying on that much glue, which at the end, will clog the razor itself soon or later

Ah, that reminds me, Oneblade do suggesting dipping the whole razor in solution of Simple Green once in a while, it might got to do with the glue gobs residue.

Top Bottom