What's new

Beginner's Experience: OneBlade Core, Then...

Old guy here, with decades devoted to Mach 3 against tough, dense gray beard.

What follows defies simplicity, a good bit of advice for beginners. Criticism and warning are warranted. It's just the way I role. 3D chess.

First few trials in return to safety razors were with Qshave 700 Adjustable [and supplied Qshave (?) blades] to recall techniques and maneuvers of adolescent days with Gillette adjustable and Schick Injector model L. That went pretty well, ending at a 4 setting with DFSs and confidence that I remembered how to shave with a non-cartridge razor. Why move along to other razors? The Q's head, for me, is bulky and difficult to navigate around nose,lip and chin areas. (At, this point, don't want to use two razors per shave. For the money, very happy with the Q. along with its copious supplied add-ins. Bang-for-the-buck I'd say, especially for we beginners.

Muscle memory in tow, I switched to a "safety razor with training wheels," the OneBlade Core (with supplied Feathers). Felt a bit like cheating, going from the Q "down" to a foolproof pivoting, mild razor. Judged solely by the shaves to date, without regard to advancing my techniques, I get a consistently DFS shave with two passes (buffing during the ATG phase), the only weepers being blemishes. The one disappointment, though, is the longevity of the Feather blades, two shaves and gone. Since the blades are proprietary to the OneBlade razors, I am denied the joy of experimenting with different blades. Is it my beard or the Feathers themselves that dull the longevity of this blade? I'll never know with the Core. On deck (but not just now) is a Supply V2 with all 3 plates. Blade experimentation of the limited injector SE brands will accompany that phase. At the end of testing the Supply, I'll know whether or not to abandon SE for DE.

Now, onto the next phase in my relearning progress, a mild DE razor which folks-on-forums recommend highly, the Razorock Gamechanger. I have both base plates and can therefore start with the .68 and then step up to the .84. Forum experiences tell me to try the .68 with an "aggressive" blade (wow, that is a challenge to identify), then advance to the .84 with a "milder" blade (ditto challenge). Have two sampler packs of DE blades to make this a much longer learning phase than the OneBlade Core.

Waiting in the wings? The Winning Razor (Yates).

Whilst having great fun reading/learning and experimenting with hardware, I have also accumulated some habits that are serving me well: 1.) slow down, 2.) short strokes, 3.) find the angle, stay with it, 4.) treat each curve, crease, and facial divot as it's own challenge, 5.) take more time around the problem areas, lips, chin and nostril areas, and 6.) relaxed concentration, i.e. slow down.

I sincerely hope that my limited experience, and this tome, might be of some help to beginning safety razor shavers as well as those who are contemplating a try of the OneBlade Core.

Thank You!

Thanks for the kind welcomes, but I've been here a bit (asking many novice questions). The older I get, the more I used to know!

There is no "Starting Out" or "Getting Started" Forum category, so I placed this post here. Do you suggest a better category?

Thanks again!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Welcome to Badger & Blade!

Sounds like you've already had experience starting out with safety razors in the beginning, and then going to cartridge razors after that, and now returning to safety razors.

I started with cartridge razors, cause thats what I learned on when I was a kid. And then when I was tired of my course hair being yanked on, and the cartridge replacement packs costing an arm and a leg, I switched to electric shaving.

When you average the cost of electric shaver heads, and how long they last, which is years before replacement, its easy to see they are the better deal. But, while electric shavers that have sharp blade heads don't yank on my hair, they don't necessarily offer the best shave.

After hanging out on this forum for over a week, these wonderful folks here converted me to safety razor shaving. I am brand new to it, never done it, never owned a safety razor, never had the joys of applying a facial soap lather with a brush, so you can imagine how much I've missed out.

I am still waiting on my new safety razor to arrive in the mail, should get here next week. I ordered the Feather AS-D2 razor. I ordered Tabac Original soap with ceramic bowl, and a pure badger brush. I also ordered a 50-pack of feather stainless steel blades.

What really amazes me about safety razor blades, is how much cheaper they are. You really begin to see the price gouging racket that cartridge razor companies are doing. I was paying 24-dollars for a pack of cartridge razor blades for my Gillette Mach 5 previously.

You know how much a 50 pack of Feather blades cost me? 20 bucks. Now, if that is not a savings, I don't know what is lol. I know some safety razors use even cheaper cost blades still. But, I think its important to make sure the blades are at least stainless.

In an effort to take care of my razor, knowing how blades in general have a tendency to rust, if put away wet. I will be removing my razor's blade when not in use, and drying them on a towel, as I think thats best. What say you?

I'd like to hear more about your experience with safety razors. I really enjoyed your first post here, and I thank you for making it. As I am a beginner to safety razors, I like to soak up all the knowledge that I can. But I love hearing from beginner experiences as well.

Oh yeah, (justifiably) forgot about my electric razor phase. Only used and hated it when I had to shave more than once a day. Business used to be brutally formal.

My other posts here can be found.

Wondering out loud why there is no "Starting Out" or "Getting Started" Forum category. Mentors were primarily responsible for any lifetime successes I have enjoyed in new efforts.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Old guy here, with decades devoted to Mach 3 against tough, dense gray beard.

What follows defies simplicity, a good bit of advice for beginners. Criticism and warning are warranted. It's just the way I role. 3D chess.

First few trials in return to safety razors were with Qshave 700 Adjustable [and supplied Qshave (?) blades] to recall techniques and maneuvers of adolescent days with Gillette adjustable and Schick Injector model L. That went pretty well, ending at a 4 setting with DFSs and confidence that I remembered how to shave with a non-cartridge razor. Why move along to other razors? The Q's head, for me, is bulky and difficult to navigate around nose,lip and chin areas. (At, this point, don't want to use two razors per shave. For the money, very happy with the Q. along with its copious supplied add-ins. Bang-for-the-buck I'd say, especially for we beginners.

Muscle memory in tow, I switched to a "safety razor with training wheels," the OneBlade Core (with supplied Feathers). Felt a bit like cheating, going from the Q "down" to a foolproof pivoting, mild razor. Judged solely by the shaves to date, without regard to advancing my techniques, I get a consistently DFS shave with two passes (buffing during the ATG phase), the only weepers being blemishes. The one disappointment, though, is the longevity of the Feather blades, two shaves and gone. Since the blades are proprietary to the OneBlade razors, I am denied the joy of experimenting with different blades. Is it my beard or the Feathers themselves that dull the longevity of this blade? I'll never know with the Core. On deck (but not just now) is a Supply V2 with all 3 plates. Blade experimentation of the limited injector SE brands will accompany that phase. At the end of testing the Supply, I'll know whether or not to abandon SE for DE.

Now, onto the next phase in my relearning progress, a mild DE razor which folks-on-forums recommend highly, the Razorock Gamechanger. I have both base plates and can therefore start with the .68 and then step up to the .84. Forum experiences tell me to try the .68 with an "aggressive" blade (wow, that is a challenge to identify), then advance to the .84 with a "milder" blade (ditto challenge). Have two sampler packs of DE blades to make this a much longer learning phase than the OneBlade Core.

Waiting in the wings? The Winning Razor (Yates).

Whilst having great fun reading/learning and experimenting with hardware, I have also accumulated some habits that are serving me well: 1.) slow down, 2.) short strokes, 3.) find the angle, stay with it, 4.) treat each curve, crease, and facial divot as it's own challenge, 5.) take more time around the problem areas, lips, chin and nostril areas, and 6.) relaxed concentration, i.e. slow down.

I sincerely hope that my limited experience, and this tome, might be of some help to beginning safety razor shavers as well as those who are contemplating a try of the OneBlade Core.

Thank You!
Welcome to BB & have some great shaves.
I have the Oneblade Core and it is a nice mild razor design and getting 2 good shaves is accurate(1st shave being the best IMO) I use de-splined Gem coated blades using the Subie shaves hack (youtube)and that is all you have to do get better shave. Gem coated blades are very sharp, excellent longevity(8-12 shaves) smooth out nicely + predictable. The Oneblade core is a excellent razor and I would recommend it to folks who are willing to modify a Gem blade or just use the expensive FHS10 blades.
Subie hack just uses one blade with the edge removed and the fresh blade on the top. It works and gives a better shave, I have been using Gem blades for years and they are hard to beat for cost and performance. (cost per shave $.03 >$.05)

Top Bottom