What's new

Oneblade Core First Impressions

Remember Kai makes a drop in blade also.... Oddly in several different thickness levels. They have a 25 and 15 thickness, and I saw, I think, a 20, and can't find it again. (Editor won't put the '.' in after the space). Might swap out the feather tomorrow, just to try one. - only 3 days from Japan.

So it looks like I have the Core v1 since it doesn't have the blade lift points.
No wonder I needed so much pressure!

I normally prefer very aggressive razors, but 6 hours after the OneBlade shave I am impressed with how smart and comfortable it is.

So it looks like I have the Core v1 since it doesn't have the blade lift points.
No wonder I needed so much pressure!

I normally prefer very aggressive razors, but 6 hours after the OneBlade shave I am impressed with how smart and comfortable it is.
When did you order yours?

Used the Oneblade Core (v2) a few more times over the weekend, and this morning, including a shave or two with a KAI 'BEST' blade. Even with the changes, it's obvious that for me, two shaves is the max per blade, the third shave just isn't going to work, WAY too much buffing to even get a decent shave.

Now onto the KAI experience, which I'm still on the fence on. The KAI positively has more blade feel than the Feather FHS10, but alas, I don't believe that additional blade feel translates into a more efficient shave. Not sure if that feel is the blade isn't as sharp, due to the every so slightly difference in thickness, or more likely the edge is ground differently than on the Feather. (Maybe one is ground in stages, or multiple angles to the point, and the other is a strait up flat grind). Just to confirm, I tossed a Feather back in this morning, and there's less or a different blade feel.

I may have lost that magic from the first two shaves on the CV2, as I had trouble getting quite as smooth as I wanted this morning, even with a brand new Feather. - Perhaps the 'honeymoon' is over? I noticed something was different during the first pass on the left side of my face, so I grabbed the GEM Junior, and did the right side, just to confirm it wasn't in my mind. (The GEM removed almost as much in one pass, as the OB CV2 ultimately did in two). I've lost something, and will work on it some more, as last Thurs & Fri I had a couple of nice shaves from the OB CV2. - Maybe a dud blade, I'll swap blades tomorrow and try again, as something changed.

On another note, now that I'm not pressing as hard, I've encountered a possible issue with the OneBlade, that I didn't notice with the original unit. Has anyone else noticed their OB Core skips a bit on their face? - Almost like you face is tacky, or lacks lubrication from the soap/cream. I've noticed it over the weekend, and at first attributed it to the Razor-Rock XXX, as I'd used Proraso and Stirling on prior shaves. Tried some Proraso yesterday, still had skipping, thought it might be the KAI blade, however, I went back to a Feather this morning, used Proraso, and same thing, the razor is skipping a bit on my face, even where there's plenty of thick lather, it just isn't moving smoothly. Same lather with the GEM on the right side of my face this morning, no skipping, smooth glide in all directions. I then grabbed both Rocky, and my Super Adjustable and did a couple of strokes with each, knowing the Rockwell has a full, non-scalloped blade guard, absolutely no skipping, a nice smooth glide with both.

So anyone else notice the lack of a smooth glide with their Core? All I can think of is perhaps the composite/plastic doesn't benefit from the lubrication of the soap/cream the same as a metal razor. The OB Core does have sort of a light texture on the face of the guard, perhaps that's the reason, but definitely something I need to work with in the next few days.

I received the V2 Core Friday and find it considerably more effective than the V1. To me it is the type of razor that is basically impossible to nick yourself with. In that respect it is similar to many current cartridge razors but considerably heavier. The resulting shave is good but no better than I get from my other razors, some about 110+ years old. Just that with this one I can put my brain in neutral when shaving.

Used the Oneblade Core (v2) a few more times over the weekend, and this morning, including a shave or two with a KAI 'BEST' blade. Even with the changes, it's obvious that for me, two shaves is the max per blade, the third shave just isn't going to work, WAY too much buffing to even get a decent shave.

Now onto the KAI experience, which I'm still on the fence on. The KAI positively has more blade feel than the Feather FHS10, but alas, I don't believe that additional blade feel translates into a more efficient shave. Not sure if that feel is the blade isn't as sharp, due to the every so slightly difference in thickness, or more likely the edge is ground differently than on the Feather. (Maybe one is ground in stages, or multiple angles to the point, and the other is a strait up flat grind). Just to confirm, I tossed a Feather back in this morning, and there's less or a different blade feel.

I may have lost that magic from the first two shaves on the CV2, as I had trouble getting quite as smooth as I wanted this morning, even with a brand new Feather. - Perhaps the 'honeymoon' is over? I noticed something was different during the first pass on the left side of my face, so I grabbed the GEM Junior, and did the right side, just to confirm it wasn't in my mind. (The GEM removed almost as much in one pass, as the OB CV2 ultimately did in two). I've lost something, and will work on it some more, as last Thurs & Fri I had a couple of nice shaves from the OB CV2. - Maybe a dud blade, I'll swap blades tomorrow and try again, as something changed.

On another note, now that I'm not pressing as hard, I've encountered a possible issue with the OneBlade, that I didn't notice with the original unit. Has anyone else noticed their OB Core skips a bit on their face? - Almost like you face is tacky, or lacks lubrication from the soap/cream. I've noticed it over the weekend, and at first attributed it to the Razor-Rock XXX, as I'd used Proraso and Stirling on prior shaves. Tried some Proraso yesterday, still had skipping, thought it might be the KAI blade, however, I went back to a Feather this morning, used Proraso, and same thing, the razor is skipping a bit on my face, even where there's plenty of thick lather, it just isn't moving smoothly. Same lather with the GEM on the right side of my face this morning, no skipping, smooth glide in all directions. I then grabbed both Rocky, and my Super Adjustable and did a couple of strokes with each, knowing the Rockwell has a full, non-scalloped blade guard, absolutely no skipping, a nice smooth glide with both.

So anyone else notice the lack of a smooth glide with their Core? All I can think of is perhaps the composite/plastic doesn't benefit from the lubrication of the soap/cream the same as a metal razor. The OB Core does have sort of a light texture on the face of the guard, perhaps that's the reason, but definitely something I need to work with in the next few days.

I've only used the V1 and returned it. Still holding out on the V2. This is interesting. Its getting long enough ago that I am forgetting how the V1 shaved other than it took a lot of work (to be positive after the first couple of shaves I was getting probably the most irritation free shaves I have gotten even at the expense of the extra passes). I know some suggested running the lather wetter than normal. I think there could be something to it being plastic and not gliding as easily as metal/plated razors. I also think the added pressure could strip the lather from your face before the blade gets there. Again its been 3 weeks I believe since I used the V1 so this might not help much. The Core V1 was such an odd razor to me so many things to like and dislike

It's definitely an odd or different experience, and I like the pivoting head and nick-proof nature. On the other hand, I'm to the point that I can pick up pretty much an of the 8-10 razors in my collection, and get BBS with little effort. Oddly, I think there's more work on my part with the Core to obtain the closeness I want, or have grown accustom to than with the others. I'll go back and experiment some more tomorrow, I grabbed my QShave today, which has been neglected for a couple of weeks, tossed in the KAI from my Gellette SA and went at it. - No nicks, no cuts, no weepers, and a great BBS shave with Proraso Red.

Tomorrow, I'll go back and try the One Core V2 again....sometimes, you just need to take a day or two off, and things just fall together easily. Fingers crossed.

Well, looks like my love affair with my OneBlade Core v1 might be (hopefully temporarily) curtailed.

I broke it :001_huh:

I'd been happily using it when I had to make a trip from Seattle to New York, so I stuck it in my dopp bag along with a couple of Feathers. You can imagine my surprise when I got to New York to find that the head had sprung off and the spring was sticking out:

I can't work out what happened. There's no "bits" in the bottom of my dopp bag, that would make me think something snapped off, and no amount of fiddling, pushing, shoving, swearing, screaming, ranting or raving will get the head to stay back in. It just pops back up like a fluffy bunny rabbit jumping out of a hole and wondering where it's next carrot is going to come from.

I've sent mail to OB, it'll be interesting to see if/how they respond. Hopefully they'll offer to replace it with a v2 - I never got an email from them about trading in and up to a v2. I was seriously thinking about buying a Genesis - I've been saving up for a couple of months already for one, but now, well, I'm really, really nervous about doing so. I mean, I expected a $50 razor to be able to travel across the country without needing to be wrapped in cotton wool and bubble wrap without reaching it's (final) destination dead, and if under the hood the mechanism is the same with the Genesis, who's to say the same wouldn't happen? I'm not the most careful of individuals, but I've never had a problem with any other razor in my dopp bag, none of which have been cuddled and cosseted in their own mother of pearl protective shells before being carefully nestled in a bed of Unicorn fur and Hippogriff feathers in my bag. They're all just tossed in there with the rest of my stuff.

Maybe I'm just unlucky. Let's see what OB say. But in the meantime I've ordered a Razorock Black Hawk to try...

marktho,
Sounds like the Oneblade Core needs a fitted case that holds the head in a fixed position in relation to the handle, like the original foam insert in the shipping box. Maybe a reason for that design it seems. Going to be disappointing to those who bought it as their travel alternative to the original Oneblade Genesis.

marktho,
Sounds like the Oneblade Core needs a fitted case that holds the head in a fixed position in relation to the handle, like the original foam insert in the shipping box. Maybe a reason for that design it seems. Going to be disappointing to those who bought it as their travel alternative to the original Oneblade Genesis.

Yes, you could well be right, in which case I think I can see Gillette Guard disposables in my travel kit in the future. Sigh.

Yes, you could well be right, in which case I think I can see Gillette Guard disposables in my travel kit in the future. Sigh.

The Guard, being a cartridge design, can go in airline carry on luggage without a problem while a pack of the blades for the Oneblade would be unacceptable. Try to find Oneblade compatible blades in a drugstore in your average city too so at least for airline travel the Oneblade does not appear to me to be a practical razor.

marcktho, I think you'll find the missing piece inside the handle, but it's a hunch. The outer cover that keeps the spring in appears to have disconnected from the base, which also came off the head. - I know that the V1 had some issues with that mechanism, which is one of the things they apparently 'beefed up' on V2. When the MacRae at OneBlade mentioned the improvements, I thought the opposite end that pushes out of the head is what allowed the spring to escape, not the backside or cap end.

In the mean time, I used mine again this morning, using DR Harris soap, and no skipping or dragging of the head, so apparently the plastic head reacts to different soaps and/or lubricants differently. This morning, I popped in a KAI Best blade and went at it. After more passes than I'd have liked, and toying with the attack angle, I finally achieved BBS. Working on exactly what gives the best, and by that I mean most aggressive or efficient shave with the OB Core V2. It's not only pressure, even with the pivot, there's a degree of holding it right, and not having shaved with a cartridge in 20-30 years it isn't as automatic as picking up one of my DEs. I took back to using a DE like a fish in water, I mean it was all of 2-3 shaves before I was just knocking out a good shave like a pro, which makes the OB Core a bit frustrating.

Ok, so while cheaper, with more blade feel, I can now say that the KAI .25 thick BEST blades also drop off pretty darn quick with the Core (V2), even being made out of what should be a harder carbon steel. This morning was the 2nd shave on the current KAI blade, and while decent efficiency, and an acceptable shave, it left a tiny bit even after quite a bit of buffing. - A single quick XTG pass with my slightly modified QShave/MingShi brought it down to full on BBS. (With quite a bit of audible feedback, so there was enough there to create significant audible feedback).

Basically one(1) fairly good shave, and one 'ok' or I guess DFS per blade, even with the KAIs. I'm confident I have the most optimal angle for the Core at this point. Lift the back of the razor off your face just a bit, then apply pressure for the pass, seems to work best and generate the most sound as well. I just realized, that I was sort of using it like the GEM Junior, just with more pressure. If I had to compare it to something, it would be the last attempt at a cartridge shave, just without the butcher-fest (irritation). So closeness is comparable, but without the irritation I had after my last cartridge shave while on vacation a few years ago. So it's not necessarily a bad shave, but I regularly (daily!) get closer after three passes with nearly any of my DEs, or GEM Junior (which I've quickly become comfortable with).

I'm so tempted to polish sand the face of the Core, as I think it might improve the shave by adding a little more blade as the guard was reduced/polished, and providing a smoother glide area. Definitely something to think about, the polish/sand might create a great razor, or it might destroy the razor all together, if the sanding goes awry. There's also the issue that sanding it would probably void any warranty should it break within the next year, and also make it absolutely non-returnable under the 30 day trial.

Anybody try any other blades in their Core? - Maybe the .15 KAI, which unfortunately Tray a Blade doesn't offer.

I'm confident I have the most optimal angle for the Core at this point.
How can you "not" have the optimal angle? My understanding is you put the head to your face and the pivot does the rest of the work keeping the angle optimal. As long as the head is flush to your face it should be exactly the same as using a cartridge razor!!

marktho, I think you'll find the missing piece inside the handle, but it's a hunch. The outer cover that keeps the spring in appears to have disconnected from the base, which also came off the head. - I know that the V1 had some issues with that mechanism, which is one of the things they apparently 'beefed up' on V2. When the MacRae at OneBlade mentioned the improvements, I thought the opposite end that pushes out of the head is what allowed the spring to escape, not the backside or cap end.

Thanks @cyberdog - I'll take a look and see what happens if I give it a good shake :). In the meantime though, Dominic from OB responded, and has sent me a V2 replacement as well as offering me $50 off the Genesis. I'll see how the V2 performs, and I'm still considering the Genesis... but even with $50 off, I don't think it can beat this price...:yikes: (and yes, I know that's going to be a knock-off, but I find it fascinating that the Genesis is obviously successful enough for someone to try and make knock-offs. It also kind of speaks volumes about manufacturing costs...)

OneBlade Razor & Stand (includes 10 Feather FHS-10 Razor Blades | eBay

Thanks @cyberdog - I'll take a look and see what happens if I give it a good shake :). In the meantime though, Dominic from OB responded, and has sent me a V2 replacement as well as offering me $50 off the Genesis. I'll see how the V2 performs, and I'm still considering the Genesis... but even with $50 off, I don't think it can beat this price...:yikes: (and yes, I know that's going to be a knock-off, but I find it fascinating that the Genesis is obviously successful enough for someone to try and make knock-offs. It also kind of speaks volumes about manufacturing costs...)

OneBlade Razor & Stand (includes 10 Feather FHS-10 Razor Blades | eBay
If you ever see an ad like that come up again and notice the seller has 0-5 feedback rating I would caution you to the fact its a scammer. eBay has been monitoring them from China and here lately they are showing up from Russia now. Supposedly the money they scam you out of is unrecoverable... Be very careful of a great deal like that as it just may be too good to be true!!

How can you "not" have the optimal angle? My understanding is you put the head to your face and the pivot does the rest of the work keeping the angle optimal. As long as the head is flush to your face it should be exactly the same as using a cartridge razor!!

The main variable should be the amount of pressure applied. IMO virtually any razor with a floating head should have the head automatically assume the optimum angle unless the handle is held at an angle beyond the limits for the head to adjust.

Top Bottom