What's new

Oneblade Core First Impressions

It arrived and is a beautifully made and relatively heavy weight for a plastic razor, 65 grams or 2.35 ounces on my digital kitchen scale. The so called stand is an aluminum extrusion it looks like and, at least to me, a space waster. I prefer hockey puck style stands that the handle goes into. Already made one for this razor out of a chunk of Teflon rod.

The head spring feels stiff to me, making me wonder about the use instructions. Paragraph 3 of the instructions speaks of optimal shave angle which sounds like the old instructions for most Gem razors, the flat front face against the skin. The last sentence says "This orientation allows the razor's pivot function to engage as needed during your shave."

The next paragraph says "Apply minimal pressure". Considering the stiffness of the head spring, the use of minimal pressure per the instruction will mean the pivot is not functional if the instructions are followed. Paragraphs 3 and 4 of the instructions, taken literally, are contradictory it looks like to me. The spring is stiff enough so to activate it takes far more pressure than I typically use when shaving with a Gem or DE razor. Per my scale the pressure to partly operate the head spring is in the 5 to 6 ounce range. To me that is NOT minimal pressure.

It arrived and is a beautifully made and relatively heavy weight for a plastic razor, 65 grams or 2.35 ounces on my digital kitchen scale. The so called stand is an aluminum extrusion it looks like and, at least to me, a space waster. I prefer hockey puck style stands that the handle goes into. Already made one for this razor out of a chunk of Teflon rod.

The head spring feels stiff to me, making me wonder about the use instructions. Paragraph 3 of the instructions speaks of optimal shave angle which sounds like the old instructions for most Gem razors, the flat front face against the skin. The last sentence says "This orientation allows the razor's pivot function to engage as needed during your shave."

The next paragraph says "Apply minimal pressure". Considering the stiffness of the head spring, the use of minimal pressure per the instruction will mean the pivot is not functional if the instructions are followed. Paragraphs 3 and 4 of the instructions, taken literally, are contradictory it looks like to me. The spring is stiff enough so to activate it takes far more pressure than I typically use when shaving with a Gem or DE razor. Per my scale the pressure to partly operate the head spring is in the 5 to 6 ounce range. To me that is NOT minimal pressure.
OK. Instructions suck. More importantly, how does it shave?

OK. Instructions suck. More importantly, how does it shave?
You read my mind. I can't recall seeing so many nitpick initial reviews. I'm going to stop reading them altogether and just use my own when it arrives. I see people saying it's junk, only to find out they aren't using it until tomorrow morning. Sheesh, my ship for an honest thoughtful review.

You read my mind. I can't recall seeing so many nitpick initial reviews. I'm going to stop reading them altogether and just use my own when it arrives. I see people saying it's junk, only to find out they aren't using it until tomorrow morning. Sheesh, my ship for an honest thoughtful review.
What can you do? It's a trend I guess. I have no stake in the Core Version since I already have the Original OB V1. But it would have been nice just to read up on someone's initial shave and thoughts on it. I think on most things we purchase, most instructions are lacking somewhat...

Yep, to me it just seems like many want oneblade to fail because it's new and different. I hope it's a great razor....a better mousetrap. If the Core works for me I will get a Genesis as well. If not....well...my Parker Variant is one helluva good shaver and will continue to be my daily driver.

For one thing , a despined Gem blade will not lock into place. Good news is there was no smiling blade issues. The bad is the blade stops are made of plastic. Since the Gem blades don't lock in , pushing the blade in too far will cut them off. Blades will have to be modified to prevent this. The shave was close and smooth , but took a little work to reach BBS. I started with a Feather carbon blade with the grain on 2 days growth and it was terrible. Put a SS Feather for 2 more passes , much better. Using very little pressure still gave me light irritation. Just one shave in and I can say this is the second best razor I have next to the brass General. Also , the blade is not rigid but moves a little. It didn't seem to affect the shave. There is no need to be careful since it is so mild. After the Feather wears out I will try a modified Gem.

For one thing , a despined Gem blade will not lock into place. Good news is there was no smiling blade issues. The bad is the blade stops are made of plastic. Since the Gem blades don't lock in , pushing the blade in too far will cut them off.
This is the information I have been looking for. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome. I never applied enough pressure to engage the spring. It's very maneuverable , just took a lot of buffing / multiple passes to get BBS. It's a keeper for sure and makes me wonder if the SS version is just as mild.

I don't have the core, but speaking from the experience with the OB V1, I apply very little pressure, so little that sometimes I wonder whether the pivot works. This has been resolved by Steve Hardy (of real men shave fame), that indeed it does. You don't have to provoke it to work. It will, on its own accord even if one doesn't notice it pivoting.
There is a test that can be performed to ascertain the pivoting action.
I would fix the head so it doesn't move at all and then shave. I did it and I noticed a difference in the shave to the worse, meaning the head does provide a service even if it doesn't seem to be pivoting.

For one thing , a despined Gem blade will not lock into place. Good news is there was no smiling blade issues. The bad is the blade stops are made of plastic. Since the Gem blades don't lock in , pushing the blade in too far will cut them off. Blades will have to be modified to prevent this. The shave was close and smooth , but took a little work to reach BBS. I started with a Feather carbon blade with the grain on 2 days growth and it was terrible. Put a SS Feather for 2 more passes , much better. Using very little pressure still gave me light irritation. Just one shave in and I can say this is the second best razor I have next to the brass General. Also , the blade is not rigid but moves a little. It didn't seem to affect the shave. There is no need to be careful since it is so mild. After the Feather wears out I will try a modified Gem.
Nice write up amigo.... :thumbsup:

Before I get into the shave I wanted to take the time to note some of the issues with the razor. As mentioned earlier the total weight of the razor is fine but the balance is all in the handle with the head feeling weightless by comparison. Many have noted a rough spot on the back right below the blade slot. It appears to be where the mold was cut. It did not have an impact on the shave but is worth noting. Other than that I had no issues with the construction of the razor. I had no issues inserting or removing the blade. You do have to lift up on the blade gently as you remove it.

For the maiden shave I went with the Feather blades included with the Core. I honestly threw out all my techniques for SE and DE shaving and approached the razor as I would a cartridge razor. Ignoring the instruction sheet, I did apply pressure during the shave. For the shave I went XTG, ATG followed by touch ups along my jawline and mouth. I do have trouble spots on the bottom of my neck in the collar area that are almost impossible to get BBS without irritation. As such I do not try for perfection in those areas but do expect and achieve a near perfect shave over the remainder of my face. The Core easily meet my expectations of a near perfect BBS shave. Better yet it was done without any drama or irritation of any kind.

Is the Core the perfect razor. I would say no because many want to test their skills and hone their technique. I do think it will appeal to those coming from a cartridge background. They don't have the high expectations of fit and finish but do want a good easy shave. I plan to use this over the Core over the next couple of weeks and see if my initial impressions remain unchanged. At this point I am starting to think of what I sell to get a OneBlade Genesis

@Clint64 nice reviews, I myself comes from a Fusion / Mach3 / Electric shaver.

First ride with Oneblade SS version is horrible, nicks n cuts everywhere, lurking and reading this forum and many YouTube video, now I shave with better preparation and start paying attention to skill and such.

Oneblade might be idiot proof for people who have wet shaving experience, but definitely can be nasty with cuts and nicks for a total beginner. Either that, or.... Im way beyond idiocy, lol.

Long story short, at 3 weeks of my 30 days, I almost return my Oneblade Genesis, but Oneblade rep prolonged my trial period, and even emailed me with tips and guides, tried it for about another 2 weeks. And I still return my Genesis....

WHY? Because i love it so much now, I even asked them to exchange it for the Gunmetal version and I just need to pay the difference. Yes, for me, it's worth it. And I still think it is.

20170612_163044.jpg 20170612_163107.jpg 20170612_163026.jpg

Before I get into the shave I wanted to take the time to note some of the issues with the razor. As mentioned earlier the total weight of the razor is fine but the balance is all in the handle with the head feeling weightless by comparison. Many have noted a rough spot on the back right below the blade slot. It appears to be where the mold was cut. It did not have an impact on the shave but is worth noting. Other than that I had no issues with the construction of the razor. I had no issues inserting or removing the blade. You do have to lift up on the blade gently as you remove it.

For the maiden shave I went with the Feather blades included with the Core. I honestly threw out all my techniques for SE and DE shaving and approached the razor as I would a cartridge razor. Ignoring the instruction sheet, I did apply pressure during the shave. For the shave I went XTG, ATG followed by touch ups along my jawline and mouth. I do have trouble spots on the bottom of my neck in the collar area that are almost impossible to get BBS without irritation. As such I do not try for perfection in those areas but do expect and achieve a near perfect shave over the remainder of my face. The Core easily meet my expectations of a near perfect BBS shave. Better yet it was done without any drama or irritation of any kind.

Is the Core the perfect razor. I would say no because many want to test their skills and hone their technique. I do think it will appeal to those coming from a cartridge background. They don't have the high expectations of fit and finish but do want a good easy shave. I plan to use this over the Core over the next couple of weeks and see if my initial impressions remain unchanged. At this point I am starting to think of what I sell to get a OneBlade Genesis
Excellent write up @Clint64. Concise, deliberate and to the point. Glad it worked out for you amigo.:thumbup1:

I just received my Core this morning, I went right into shaving. I do shave with an old Gillette DE but nowhere near the experience of some and cut myself almost everytime when I go against the grain. I loaded up the Core and went to town and I am super pleased with the final results. No nicks, no irritation and smoother than when I use the DE. Makes me want to try and purchase a Genesis! I think these razors are really for the guys that don't have the skills and technique required for a smooth enjoyable shave and you get the same or better results without the learning curve. Well Done Oneblade.

I just received my Core this morning, I went right into shaving. I do shave with an old Gillette DE but nowhere near the experience of some and cut myself almost everytime when I go against the grain. I loaded up the Core and went to town and I am super pleased with the final results. No nicks, no irritation and smoother than when I use the DE. Makes me want to try and purchase a Genesis! I think these razors are really for the guys that don't have the skills and technique required for a smooth enjoyable shave and you get the same or better results without the learning curve. Well Done Oneblade.

Welcome to B&B!

Which Gillette DE do you use?

Does anyone notice the the blade is loose in the razor..the blade has some movement in all directions. All my other se and de razors hold the blade very tight. Dos anyone else notice this. First shave was alright but my chin was a little sore. I use feather artist blades in my other se razors and they seam to be sharper.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yep, the blade can move just a tad forward and back, even with the locking mechanism (pin?) engaged on mine.

Took mine for it's maiden run this morning, took one pass to find what feels like the correct angle for the pivot to work and get an efficient shave. Even then, the fhs blades don't seem quite as sharp as a feather de blade, or not in the Oneblade. I did obtain bbs with a little bit of work, and good comfort afterwards.... I'm definitely not raw from the shave, only minor tingle from aftershave when applied.

It was a good first shave. That was around 6:30 this morning, no pre-shave oil, just usual shower with some conditioner applied and rinsed off. My face still feels pretty much bbs, with perceivable fuzz in the higher growth areas. Will experiment more over the weekend.

So what gives with the Gem blade? Mantic indicated it worked just fine, only having de-splined it. I'll try one over the weekend, I have thirty some blades for my Gem, and a nibbler. The Core shaves much nicer to me than my Gem, btw, which just doesn't work for me. (Look for it to be listed over the weekend, once I see if the blades get listed with it).

I gave mine a shot. Not BBS , but a DFS. Alum block stung a lot less than it normally would I found my ATG pass did not get as close as I normally would with another razor. However , XTG did not butcher me up as much as almost every other razor would.

Last edited:
I gave mine a shot. Not BBS , but a DFS. Alum block stung a lot less than it normally would I found my ATG pass did not get as close as I normally would with another razor. However , XTG did not butcher me up as much as almost every other razor would.
My Core hasn't arrived yet, but when I got the ss version, it took a few shave before I got things dialed in for BBS. It's my favorite razor, I get zero irritation when I use it.

Top Bottom