What's new

Oneblade Core First Impressions

If you ever see an ad like that come up again and notice the seller has 0-5 feedback rating I would caution you to the fact its a scammer. eBay has been monitoring them from China and here lately they are showing up from Russia now. Supposedly the money they scam you out of is unrecoverable... Be very careful of a great deal like that as it just may be too good to be true!!

Oh, it's definitely too good to be true - that's why I said I knew it was a knock-off :) I just find it interesting that the Genesis now obviously has enough of a reputation that people are either making cheap fakes, or are trying to cash in on claiming to have cheap ones and taking the money and running - it's less than 10% of the price of the real thing - anyone who buys it expecting to either get anything, or to get the real thing really deserves what they get :)

The Guard, being a cartridge design, can go in airline carry on luggage without a problem while a pack of the blades for the Oneblade would be unacceptable. Try to find Oneblade compatible blades in a drugstore in your average city too so at least for airline travel the Oneblade does not appear to me to be a practical razor.

Yes, I agree @Rwoodreno - I had it in my checked bags with blades - but the TSA would have freaked out if I'd had it and I'd only been travelling with carry-on :)

I got some Gillette Guards earlier in the week - I'm impressed for a disposable, although it's a little too aggressive for me, or maybe my face is just having a bad week.

Gave the OB Core another run today, after skipping yesterday. With a new Feather, took off most of the two days in three passes. Did leave the faintest hint behind, what would be Bbs for most.

The Feather definitely shaves better than the Kai for me in the Core V2.

As far as angle, actually there is some variable. If your flat to begin with, the front can lift a tad as you push the razor. Starting with the leading edge and the back slightly off, seems to better use the pivot, and gives a bit closer shave for me. - Otherwise, I'm buffing for three passes, or so if seems.

I would consider it a disposable. You dispose of the head, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say that definition makes all razors that do not use a permanent blade "Disposable" razors, certainly all cartridge razors. By extension that could extend to all disposable blade razors too. I have always figured a disposable razor was one in which head and handle were not readily separable and were thrown away as a unit.

Used the Oneblade Core (v2) a few more times over the weekend, and this morning, including a shave or two with a KAI 'BEST' blade. Even with the changes, it's obvious that for me, two shaves is the max per blade, the third shave just isn't going to work, WAY too much buffing to even get a decent shave.

Now onto the KAI experience, which I'm still on the fence on. The KAI positively has more blade feel than the Feather FHS10, but alas, I don't believe that additional blade feel translates into a more efficient shave. Not sure if that feel is the blade isn't as sharp, due to the every so slightly difference in thickness, or more likely the edge is ground differently than on the Feather. (Maybe one is ground in stages, or multiple angles to the point, and the other is a strait up flat grind). Just to confirm, I tossed a Feather back in this morning, and there's less or a different blade feel.

I may have lost that magic from the first two shaves on the CV2, as I had trouble getting quite as smooth as I wanted this morning, even with a brand new Feather. - Perhaps the 'honeymoon' is over? I noticed something was different during the first pass on the left side of my face, so I grabbed the GEM Junior, and did the right side, just to confirm it wasn't in my mind. (The GEM removed almost as much in one pass, as the OB CV2 ultimately did in two). I've lost something, and will work on it some more, as last Thurs & Fri I had a couple of nice shaves from the OB CV2. - Maybe a dud blade, I'll swap blades tomorrow and try again, as something changed.

On another note, now that I'm not pressing as hard, I've encountered a possible issue with the OneBlade, that I didn't notice with the original unit. Has anyone else noticed their OB Core skips a bit on their face? - Almost like you face is tacky, or lacks lubrication from the soap/cream. I've noticed it over the weekend, and at first attributed it to the Razor-Rock XXX, as I'd used Proraso and Stirling on prior shaves. Tried some Proraso yesterday, still had skipping, thought it might be the KAI blade, however, I went back to a Feather this morning, used Proraso, and same thing, the razor is skipping a bit on my face, even where there's plenty of thick lather, it just isn't moving smoothly. Same lather with the GEM on the right side of my face this morning, no skipping, smooth glide in all directions. I then grabbed both Rocky, and my Super Adjustable and did a couple of strokes with each, knowing the Rockwell has a full, non-scalloped blade guard, absolutely no skipping, a nice smooth glide with both.

So anyone else notice the lack of a smooth glide with their Core? All I can think of is perhaps the composite/plastic doesn't benefit from the lubrication of the soap/cream the same as a metal razor. The OB Core does have sort of a light texture on the face of the guard, perhaps that's the reason, but definitely something I need to work with in the next few days.
I've found if I mix up my lather a little bit thinner with the Core V2 I get a lot better shave than with a thick lather and that's interesting because I don't have to do that with my Genesis V2 which gives me a all around better shave than the Core. I also felt the last time I used my Core by taking the spine off a Gem blade I got a better shave than with the Feather. Just my experience on my face.

Dragonsbeard, did you modify the GEM or only de-spline it? - Might as well try a GEM in the V2, since I have like 190 of them sitting at the house. (Somehow bought two packs of 100 of the PTFE Coated Blades....guess I really have 225, since I have 3 packs of 10 from Amazon that may or may not be PTFE coated).

So far, the Feather gives the best shave for me, but still not quite as close as I'd like or get with many of my DEs. I've also been playing with a newly acquired Gillette New Bar Handle the last few days, so haven't used my Core since Monday or Tuesday.

So the Genesis definitely gives a better shave? By better, do you mean closer, a more satisfying experience, or both? Please elaborate on your take on the differences. - Thanks

I received my Core V2 replacement a week ago. I have shaved with it everyday since. Maybe I'm not a shaving purist, but I sense little difference from the Core V1. My assessment is that the Core's advantage is that you can get a great bbs shave if you care to go wtg, atg, xtg plus some extra buffing and not fear any razor burn or nicks. I can be generally fearless shaving with the Core V2. If I were to be that fearless with my Weber or Cobra, I'm sure my face would be raw and I would likely have some weepers at the least. It's a good razor, and I was thinking of getting the Genesis, but I kind of doubt the much higher cost would result in that much better a shave, so not likely I'll bite at $399.

I have been using a Genesis V2 the past two weeks. Each shave has been excellent and better than I was getting from my Core V2. $399 better? I can't answer that question.

The Genesis is more aggressive than the Core. I get 3 shaves from a Feather. Could eek out 4, but why push it.

So I got my Core v2 replacement today - which I must say constitutes excellent customer service from OneBlade.

And YMMV of course: I feel a whole world of difference from v1.
The v2 has much more blade feel, bumps up the aggression slightly and all round seems a better shaver.
IMG_8826.JPG

And I still kick against liking this razor at all - it feels like you're getting a really rubbish shave, it requires pressure and doesn't care about angle yet the end result is very comfortable and smart.
It's like wetshaving for people who don't like wetshaving...

So I got my Core v2 replacement today - which I must say constitutes excellent customer service from OneBlade.

And YMMV of course: I feel a whole world of difference from v1.
The v2 has much more blade feel, bumps up the aggression slightly and all round seems a better shaver.
View attachment 812138
And I still kick against liking this razor at all - it feels like you're getting a really rubbish shave, it requires pressure and doesn't care about angle yet the end result is very comfortable and smart.
It's like wetshaving for people who don't like wetshaving...
This post basically sums up my exact thoughts on my V2 core that I just got to use today.

So I loaded up the Core v2 with a despined GEM SS today.

I didn't bother modifying the GEM any further - I bought a nibbler just to modify them but after a bit of experiment decided it simply wasn't worth the time and trouble.
One of the reasons I get up and go to work every morning is so that I can afford to buy nice Feather SE blades if I want to and not scrabble about reverse engineering GEMs :)

But surprise surprise the despined GEM worked very well indeed.
I'm discovering the Core DOES require technique, just not the technique we need for all other razors!
This time I tried a steeper initial angle, lots of pressure and very short strokes.
Basically I blade buffed my entire face and the result was once again very smart and very comfortable.
IMG_8828.JPG

A couple of things I've noticed which are probably due to the stiff SE blades are that firstly the shave has really good longevity - 24 hours after the shave with the Feather I still looked smart and didn't have the unruly stubble I get with DEs but had a uniform regrowth which seemed a lot more civilised.

And secondly, like the shave with a straight but even more so, immediately after the shave the quality felt like rubbish, barely CCS, but 15mins later when my skin had remoisturised it felt absolutely superb.

I really don't want to like this razor but it is turning out to be so much fun :)

What's this? You are enjoying your OneBlade? Heresy! Hasn't anyone told you that the Core isn't real shaving and you simply cannot get a true BBS shave? I mean....it's just so different from razors designed 100 years ago.

I enjoy my Core V2 very much trying different techniques to get a great shave. I tend to disagree with most 'one shave and done' reviews I read where the razor is declared as too easy or it gives a good shave but is too mild, or that the pivot takes away the need to learn proper technique. I would argue the opposite is true. It takes time and experimentation to unlock the Cores secrets. Enjoy your shaves!

What's this? You are enjoying your OneBlade? Heresy! Hasn't anyone told you that the Core isn't real shaving and you simply cannot get a true BBS shave? I mean....it's just so different from razors designed 100 years ago.

I enjoy my Core V2 very much trying different techniques to get a great shave. I tend to disagree with most 'one shave and done' reviews I read where the razor is declared as too easy or it gives a good shave but is too mild, or that the pivot takes away the need to learn proper technique. I would argue the opposite is true. It takes time and experimentation to unlock the Cores secrets. Enjoy your shaves!
My only real qualm about this razor is it is harder to edge my beard than other razors I have like my gem mmoc , but in terms of shave quality , this is by far the best and closest shave I can get with zero chance of irritation going in any direction.

My only real qualm about this razor is it is harder to edge my beard than other razors I have like my gem mmoc , but in terms of shave quality , this is by far the best and closest shave I can get with zero chance of irritation going in any direction.

Yes, it does take some trial and error to figure out edging. I pretty much have it down now, but it took a number of tries before I nailed it.

Ha ha - you make some good points there.
This is a new way of shaving again isn't it?

24hrs on the GEM shave lacked the longevity and great finish of the Feather shave.

So tonight I tried the blade that the Feather was modelled on, a NOS Valet:
IMG_8831.JPG

A bit of research reveals that the Feather company was founded in Japan by German ex-POWs after WW1 and one of their first creations was a Valet Autostrop clone, plus the blades to match.
The modern Feather FHS SE blades are direct descendants of this.

Again a really surprising shave with a superb finish - after using the Core v2 for three days in a row my neck is more comfortable than it's been for years.
And this is not a long lasting BBS like I'm used to from the super aggressive razors that I love but it is a very smart 21st Century shave indeed where the stubble looks smart well into the night and I feel like a modern man :)
IMG_8832.JPG

I still think that Feather pulled a fast one on OneBlade by persuading them to use the SE blades though.
We all agree that the Feather DE and Artist Club blades are excellent but the SE blades just don't last well (and the carbon steel version is just appalling).
Presumably sales of this unsatisfactory blade have rocketed since OneBlade adopted it though...

Ha ha - you make some good points there.
This is a new way of shaving again isn't it?

24hrs on the GEM shave lacked the longevity and great finish of the Feather shave.

So tonight I tried the blade that the Feather was modelled on, a NOS Valet:View attachment 812632
A bit of research reveals that the Feather company was founded in Japan by German ex-POWs after WW1 and one of their first creations was a Valet Autostrop clone, plus the blades to match.
The modern Feather FHS SE blades are direct descendants of this.

Again a really surprising shave with a superb finish - after using the Core v2 for three days in a row my neck is more comfortable than it's been for years.
And this is not a long lasting BBS like I'm used to from the super aggressive razors that I love but it is a very smart 21st Century shave indeed where the stubble looks smart well into the night and I feel like a modern man :)
View attachment 812633
I still think that Feather pulled a fast one on OneBlade by persuading them to use the SE blades though.
We all agree that the Feather DE and Artist Club blades are excellent but the SE blades just don't last well (and the carbon steel version is just appalling).
Presumably sales of this unsatisfactory blade have rocketed since OneBlade adopted it though...
So you think that the Feather blades still produce the best shave of all three different variants?

So you think that the Feather blades still produce the best shave of all three different variants?
Definitely yes for me.
The extra sharpness of the Feather suits this razor best.

On another note I'm discovering that part of the genius of the Core is its magnificent ATG performance even on the upper lip!

ATG the Core does things that nothing else can.

Definitely yes for me.
The extra sharpness of the Feather suits this razor best.

On another note I'm discovering that part of the genius of the Core is its magnificent ATG performance even on the upper lip!

ATG the Core does things that nothing else can.
For me, it's XTG passes that leave me irritation free.

Top Bottom