What's new

On the Slant

Brian,

I don't think there is much I can add to this conversation except to say the mechanics of using the Slant DE is the same as using a Regular De (IMHO). Technique, Technique, and Technique. No pressure, let the weight of the razor do the work, short strokes, quality blades, etc. etc. etc.

I'm of the opinion it doesn't matter too much how it works, as long as it works.

I own a Merkur HD, Merkur Slant, and a modified Merkur Progress. Not to mention "SEVERAL" others. We all have our favorites but the Slant is a regular in my rotation.

But I think you've caught the drift of the matter.

And as always...

Enjoy your shave...:001_smile

Just had to chime in here.
The SLANT is a wonderful razor. Fear it only if you are completely inexperienced with a DE razor. Buy it if your quest is for a very close comfortable shaving experience.

Couple of suggestions for any of you on the edge (hehehe) of buying a Slant razor.

1- Get the GOLD one. Its worth the extra couple of bucks.
2- The japanese FEATHER DE blade is a perfect match. I use an Israeli Personna in mine and it works very well, too.
3- Make sure your lather is very good, i.e. plenty of cushion, and very slick
4- It seems to work best with long strokes, not short choppy strokes. On my face the SLANT works awesome on my cheeks and neck. I use the HD under my nose and on my chin.
5- Get an ALUM bar. You'll find out if you're using the SLANT properly because the ALUM bar will sting you nicely if your technique is poor
6- Go slow. If it tugs or feels strangely, STOP and use it in another direction.
7- If it skips, then improve your lather or use a glycerin or Preshave oil. Don't tolerate any skips with the SLANT or you increase your chances of irritation.

dwight

I don't know if this will help, but I took a quick photograph of the head of the HD laying next to the head of the Slant. You can view it here.

Thanks for all your comments, and for the pics.

I haven't got my HD yet, and it's 30 years or more since I used a safety razor.

After I have masterd the HD, I'll hve look at the Slant.

And yes, I was thinking of the Gold, if only so I can tell them apart without thinking.

I just had my first slant + feather shave this morning after being a new DE shaver with an HD for about 3 weeks. Do not sweat this razor, if you can use a regular DE without mangling yourself, you can use the slant. I absolutely love it, got very close with no irritation or cuts. It's simply spectacular.

Well, well – first Slant shave for me, too, this morning (see SOTD). I had tried the Feather blade in my trusty Progress and found it lacking, so I plumped for an IP (maybe both decisions were a tad rash). I did experience a bit of drag, but on the upside, although I ended up by going ATG on all but the most awkward spots, I only got nicked once or twice. The alum, however, brought home to me that this was not an entirely smooth shave, and it wasn't really BBS, either. – So whilst I'm not wholly convinced on this evidence, I have to remember that it took me while to get the hang of the Progress, so there's hope yet. I'll try the Slant/IP setup with some pre-shave glycerin tomorrow, and sooner or later, I'll reach for those Feathers again.

I know from reading liesureguy's blog that Hoffritz makes one, not sure if there are any others.

He actually wrote up a small comparison yesterday between the Merkur and Hoffritz slants. It looks like the Merkur "won" :)
-Scott

The Hoffritz is made by Merkur.

The slant is not designed to have uneven blade exposure. The blade exposure is in fact even if the blade is loaded correctly. When you load the blade, look at the razor from the top. Line up the edge of the blade with the guard. Then tighten. If you don't do that, you may well get uneven expousre and that is what leads to cuts. I suspect that is what leads folks to talk about this razor as something to be feared.

IMHO the slant's uneven blade exposure is a trompe l'oeil - it looks uneven due to the twisting of the blade. I think the slant is capable of cutting you up but not if used with proper care and technique. I really love it.

4- It seems to work best with long strokes, not short choppy strokes. On my face the SLANT works awesome on my cheeks and neck. I use the HD under my nose and on my chin.
5- Get an ALUM bar. You'll find out if you're using the SLANT properly because the ALUM bar will sting you nicely if your technique is poor...

I find that the longer strokes with feather light pressure works best. For some here short stokes work well. YMMV. My skin gets dry and sensitive in the winter and lots of short strokes can irritate it. I love my Merkur Slant. It gives me a BBS in 2 passes. You have to have good technique or it wont matter what razor you use.

+1 on the Alum bar. Not only will it give you instant feedback on your technique it really refreshes and tightens up your skin too.

netsurfr said:
I have been holding my RAD in check but this thread is pushing me over the edge...
Feel a real need for a slant!

Its not RAD... Its an investment in your health and well being... :rolleyes:

No, not quite. The offset angle is maintained, it does follow the actual line of the blade. The exposure of the blade is exactly the same all along its length. . . .When one looks at it in relation to the edge guard, or the bar, ie. from "down" looking at the top of the head, the edge of the blade is exactly evenly exposed.

Look at the pictures under the Reviews tab.

But this picture shows an uneven exposure of the blade - is it badly fitted?

http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/media/2443/full

It's this picture that prompted my question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that the blade is being twisted. This creates a bit of an optical illusion. If you look straight down on the razor (bird's eye view) the exposure looks the same.

Keep in mind that the blade is being twisted. This creates a bit of an optical illusion. If you look straight down on the razor (bird's eye view) the exposure looks the same.

I agree. Well said Kyle. I too suspect that this is an optical/photographic illusion.

That having been said, it is possible to load a slant improperly, and this one may be loaded improperly. I don't think it's possible to tell from this picture. A mis-loaded slant will easily cut you, and I suspect that people who have problems with the razor are mis-loading it.

You have to look at the head from the bird's eye point of view and hold the blade by the ends (not the edges!) and line up the edge with the guard. If you don't do that, it is possible to end up with a blade that has uneven exposure. Lining up the blade properly is as easy as can be, it's almost effortless. The "bumps" on the guard reflect light and it looks like a line of lights, so lining up the blade properly is never a problem.

I just loaded my slant to check what it looks like from the point of view of the photograph. And the photograph depicts exactly what mine looks like. From that point of view it does look like the blade exposure is uneven. It isn't. The blade exposure is right on the money, it is perfectly even, but it doesn't show from that point of view. You have to look at it top down to see it properly.

See the posts above.

The photo in question is mine, and I assure you that the blade is inserted properly. The slant is one of those razors that you just have to see in person to understand and appreciate.

Kyle's right, that blade is loaded correctly, and it is an optical effect only. The blade has the same exposure.

Towards the left end of that pic, where the blade looks less exposed, it is because the blade is almost lying flat at that end. At the right end, where it looks more exposed, it is because it has been pushed to a downward angle by the head.

If you take a piece of paper, and hold it lengthwise, and look at it edge on, making it as thin as possible, and then twist your right hand towards youself you produce the same effect. The left side looks razor thin, while the right side looks as though it is wider.

The reason it is such an "illusion" with the blade is that the finish put on the blade causes light to interact with it very differently than many other surfaces. Your eyes use minute variation in shading, the fade of a shadow, across surfaces to judge curvature. Because there is no proper fading of the ligh across the surface of a blade, due to its odd finish, your mind does not see it as curved, it sees it as flat. That's why when you look at that pic, it looks very much like the blade, from left to right, is at the same angle. But it is not. Hence the illusion.

I'll agree that the slant is an INCREDIBLE razor, definetly my favorite. It really does reduce the force needed to cut, it works VERY well. And the secret to using it is to just pretend you aren't using it. Use it as you would any other, just know it is less forgiving of bad technique.

And the secret to using it is to just pretend you aren't using it. Use it as you would any other, just know it is less forgiving of bad technique.

ROFL, I know your meaning to indicate using a DE razor with, "Use it as you would any other", because going after your beard wielding the Slant as you would a Fusion is just not a pretty picture.:scared:

HA HA HA. Yeah, good point. Use it as you would any other SAFETY RAZOR . . . . not multi-bladed face mulcher.

Top Bottom