What's new

On my way down the home brewing rabbit hole

I just picked up “How to Brew” by Palmer. My buddy is supplying me with a couple DVD’s today and in early Oct I will be watching him do a brew day.

My goal is my first brew day in mid Oct.

This thread will document the progress.

And what a rabbit hole it is. There was a time last summer when my mash tun was the only serviceable cooler in the house. "No Honey, we can't put a watermelon in there to get cold for the BBQ!"

Welcome aboard and happy brewing.

Interested in seeing your progress.

Well luckily the wife supports this idea, so far. Going to breweries is one of our favorite things to do, right next to going to wineries.

Thank you for the welcome and I will post more as I get some reading and researching done in the next couple weeks.

Yes, welcome to the home brewing votrex that easily swallows you in! Lord knows I did. Once you get that first one done, it just explodes! Congrats on the interest and best of luck!

While camping this weekend, I was able to get through the section on hops in Section 1. Very informative so far!

I would recommend The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian. It is an easy read with some good recipes in it. Welcome to homebrewing.

Ron Pattinson's "Home Brewer's Guide" has some fantastic recipes for English-style ales and Mike Tonsmeire's "American Sour Beers" will pull you even deeper into that rabbit hole. Have fun!

Awesome hobby. I know you will enjoy it! If I might offer a suggestion. Drop some real money on a nice stainless kettle with a built in thermometer and a spigot. It's indispensable.

Papazian's book is good, but a little dated IMO. I think its mostly good, except it still espouses the stupid "secondary fermenter" method and fear mongering about autolysis. Just leave your beer in the carboy for 1 month, then bottle. The more you rack or transfer your beer, the more its prone to infection and oxidation.

2 other great books are "How To Brew" by John Palmer. There is a free version on the web, but the print version has been updated several times and is worth the $$. Also Jamil Zainasheff's "Brewing Classic Styles" is awesome. Its the very first place I turn for beginnig a recipe formulation.

There is a fourth edition of Papazian's book coming out this month. As far as the secondary fermenter goes to each his own, I occasionally use a secondary when I brew certain beers, however not due to fear of autolysis.

Papazian's book is good, but a little dated IMO. I think its mostly good, except it still espouses the stupid "secondary fermenter" method and fear mongering about autolysis. Just leave your beer in the carboy for 1 month, then bottle.

I can't wait for the day when we can join the second sentence in the same context as the obligatory secondary.

Well I do have Palmer's book, have made it through the Hops section so far. Up to this point I have learned a great deal, very anxious to get through it and get my supplies to start this endeavor this fall!

Been busy this week with preping for a BBQ comp, so brew reading has taken a back seat.

Don't get me wrong, I love Papazian. He is a God among homebrewers. I've seen a lot of people walk away from his book with 2 big misconceptions. The 3-2-1 "law" and fear of autolysis. Look it up on HBT. There are some pretty epic arguments on the subject.

As far as secondary, yes there are some very good reasons for using one. I'm speaking of your average run of the mill ale. Not dry hopped, fruited, a big beer that needs more time, or any reason that actually does require a secondary. Actually there are some pretty epic arguments on secondary vs no secondary on HBT as well.

I have joined HBT and wow, there is a ton of info over there, much like here. Can see my self going full on keezer with 4 kegs at some point in the near future. Would love to do a full bar but don't have anywhere in the house to do it. I'm really looking forward to the first few batches to see if I can actually brew anything decent!

I guess the biggest thing to take away from any reading or suggestions from anyone, is keep it clean!!! If you keep everything clean and sanitize properly, you shouldn't have to worry much about tainted/crap beer. Just my two cents.

Yes, brewing is 90% cleaning. Divide all the other stuff between the last 10%! :)

If you aren't using it, get some Starsan as your sanitizer. Hands down the best no rinse sanitizer. Put it in a spray bottle to sanitize small things. The foam sanitizes too. Don't fear the foam.

Top Bottom