What's new

Olivia's King Kong WM Soap?

I had been eying Olivia's soaps for a while now, even though I heard her normal soap range provides pitiful lather. I heard the WM series is very good, and so while looking through those (I'm on a current sandalwood OBSESSION) I found one called King Kong. This piqued my interest;

King Kong
Masculine scent of sandalwood and spikenard.
Now with a new pleasant base.
Keeping its character but making it a bit more gentle.

Sandalwood AND spikenard! I had to pull the trigger, and I have a bar on the way. I'll do the first review as soon as it gets here, but my question to the rest of you is (as the wait is unbearable) has anyone tried this soap before? Anyone tried the other WM soaps? Which ones are worth it?

I have a puck. Got it awhile ago but I haven't used it yet cause I just have too much stuff. :blushing: Maybe tomorrow ...

You have my word that tomorrow I will absolutely, positively, for sure, without a doubt maybe use the King Kong soap. Of that I'm certain.

I don't have the king kong, but I have the dschinn and the sarubia. Both produce incredible lather. The dschinn is cinnamon/cadamom, the sarubia is sage/melon. Olivia's WM soaps are IMO some of the very best out there. They take slightly more effort to get going, but man is it worth it. I really want to try the other WM scents...the sarubia is a nice summer soap, but I'm not the biggest melon fan. The dschinn is one of the best things I've ever smelled, though. The perfect cold weather/holiday soap.

So, you are a lucky man to have some WM soap coming your way. It's worth the wait!

And Ev, what are you waiting for?!? :smile:

I don't have the king kong, but I have the dschinn and the sarubia. Both produce incredible lather.

That's interesting, I tried two of the regular soaps which didin't lather at all. The shave was disappointing, too. But I'll try the WM soaps one day.
While you're at Olivia's website, you might want top take a peek at the Bock shaving brushes on offer there.

I don't have the king kong, but I have the dschinn and the sarubia. Both produce incredible lather. The dschinn is cinnamon/cadamom, the sarubia is sage/melon. Olivia's WM soaps are IMO some of the very best out there. They take slightly more effort to get going, but man is it worth it. I really want to try the other WM scents...the sarubia is a nice summer soap, but I'm not the biggest melon fan. The dschinn is one of the best things I've ever smelled, though. The perfect cold weather/holiday soap.

So, you are a lucky man to have some WM soap coming your way. It's worth the wait!

And Ev, what are you waiting for?!? :smile:

The wait is getting worse... Good thing I at least have Tabac in the meantime.

OK. I broke down & used the King Kong this morning.

1st impressions:

1. You REALLY have to work hard to get a good lather from this stuff. I probably didn't work it quite hard enough. My lather was ok but it could've been better.

2. This soap requires way more water than I'm used to using (see #1 above).

3. To my nose, this soap does NOT smell like Sandalwood.

I'm sorry, but for me the benchmark of a true Sandalwood fragrance is QED's Sandalwood soap. This soap is so far out of that ballpark ... it doesn't even bear any resemblance to Sandalwood. What it does smell like is a kind of cinnamon-y, sweetish, spicy mixture, sort of the way cinnamon rolls smell while they're baking. Obviously it's an interpretation of Sandalwood but again, not even close to the real thing. I can't really comment about the Spikenard component since I'm not sure what Spikenard smells like. But it's probably a pretty good bet that it doesn't smell like Spikenard either.

Regardless, I'm going to give this soap a few more tries. I like Olivia's Dschinn soap better -- better scent & easier to lather. Then again, all things considered I did get a DFS this morning. So it's worth using the King Kong some more.

Hope this was helpful!

What was the shipping cost / time for your order?

Apparently Olivia doesn't like email.

Thanks!

I don't remember how long it took to get to NYC from Germany but it wasn't an overly long wait. Maybe around a week or so?

As far as shipping costs go, I ordered 2 soaps & she charged me €6.50 for shipping. Pretty reasonable.

...and oh yeah, she answered my email right away. Perhaps she didn't receive yours, or her reply went into your spam mailbox??

Figures. I just ordered 2 pucks of MWF and here's this interesting King Kong option that I would like to explore.

Top Bottom