What's new

older formula Brut - where to buy?

Hey guys, new member here, signed up today!

I did a search and didn't find this question posted, so pardon me if it's already been discussed, but I want to get a bottle of the older formula (as close as possible to original) Brut cologne or aftershave made today but don't want to buy vintage. I did a lot of reading about it online on some blogs and there are several versions, apparently, including the "Helen of Troy" brand. From what I gathered I'm looking for one of the bottles with the chain on it, though there seem to be multiples even of that. Where can I find it, though? Do any retailers carry it anywhere you know of? I have checked some online vendors but haven't had much luck.

I'm kicking myself because I'm pretty sure I spotted it several years ago in a big-box store but didn't have the interest at the time, and now they don't carry it anymore - just the ordinary splash in the plastic bottle.

You can often find slightly older runs of new items at discount stores. MJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Burlington are some places to look for the newly old. Not sure if the Brut you are talking about fits into that category.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Just out of interest why would you not favour vintage Fabergé Brut? There is nothing like it, especially the older pre Brut 33 variety. Welcome to the forum 👍

Thanks! After my last bad experience with a vintage that had gone terribly off (in the original packaging, including plastic wrap, but had apparently been roasted to death in somebody's attic or wherever), I don't want to take that risk again. It was my understanding that one can buy new incarnations of the old Faberge formula or at least close approximations today....

Thanks! After my last bad experience with a vintage that had gone terribly off (in the original packaging, including plastic wrap, but had apparently been roasted to death in somebody's attic or wherever), I don't want to take that risk again. It was my understanding that one can buy new incarnations of the old Faberge formula or at least close approximations today....

So, are you wanting to know of some good knockoffs?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
After some research and trying a few products, I've found this to be the best currently available.

Glass bottle, states "original" on label, not too hard to find, and under $15 @Jan Sobieski

1600694722697.png

I saw a bottle of it in a sketchy electronics repair shop in Queens, NY a few months ago.

I know this post doesn't help you what so ever but keep your eyes peeled wherever you are. You never know what you'll find.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That's the Euro version. It's a bit weaker than the US version. However, Brut comes in a lot of different flavors in Europe.
Weaker, as in scent, yes. But it is a much better aftershave that contains healing ingredients like glycerine and castor oil.

The US version (actually made in Mexico) sold in drug stores does have a heavy scent, too strong for my tastes.

Save yourself some time and trouble and just get some "Et Tu" from Phoenix Shaving Accoutrements. It was designed to be a duplicate of the old formula Brut.

I remember reading a while back - here somewhere on B&B - that the 25.6 oz bottle of Brut was the only currently available version that was actually 'original formula' - or something to that effect. You'd have to dig through the archives to find it I guess; IIRC, the info came direct from the manufacturer.

Another vote for PAA's Et Tu. It's amazing how close they got with this scent and I find the quality of their products to be generally quite high.

Top Bottom