What's new

old style DE razors...

I always have my Fatboy on 9 now, so I think it's time to switch over to a non-adjustable.

The endless tinkering and oiling of my DE has always been a bit of a chore, so I was wondering what the consensus is about the old-style razors where you didn't twist the bottom to open up the top. Do they shave well, or are they awkwardly designed compared to the ones that came later?

I always have my Fatboy on 9 now, so I think it's time to switch over to a non-adjustable.

The endless tinkering and oiling of my DE has always been a bit of a chore, so I was wondering what the consensus is about the old-style razors where you didn't twist the bottom to open up the top. Do they shave well, or are they awkwardly designed compared to the ones that came later?

I have both styles in my rotation, and the non-TTO is not awkward at all, just different. Some people prefer one over the other, but the choice is entirely personal. Both give equally good shaves, dependent on operator-skill, of course.

If anything, I have a slightly harder time with my TTO-FatBoy, because I can't completely close it and tighten down the blade with wet hands, I have to grip it with a towel in order to get the blade locked down. The one time I forgot to do this, I cut myself really bad. Although a styptic pencil stopped the bleeding, the scar is still visible 2 weeks later.

What blade are you using that you need to set your FatBoy on a 9? I've never gone above 5 on mine, and if using a Feather Blade, I dial it down to a 2 or 3.

And mine doesn't require a lot of tinkering and oiling, either. Aside from a good Barbicide bath and an initial oiling, it doesn't need any maintenance at all except the occasional cleaning with a toothbrush.

I don't understand "tinkering and oiling" I don't oil and have never tinker any of my razors.
That being said 3 piece razor are pretty much bullet proof.
A person would have to stomp on one or smash it with a hammer to damage one.
When you say "old style" what do you mean? Any 3 piece non TTO razor?
To some "old style" mean pre New type Gillette 20ish, some of these very old razor were made in the days of much thicker blades and do not work well with more modern thin DE blades.
The more modern 3 piece razor like the Gillette Tech and the Presently produced Merkurs are excellent shavers
For many of use the enjoyment of DE shaving is not just the shaving but our appreciation of the craftsmanship and beautyof these mechanical devices.

What blade are you using that you need to set your FatBoy on a 9? I've never gone above 5 on mine, and if using a Feather Blade, I dial it down to a 2 or 3.

:lol:

Actually, a Feather. I've been getting good shaves and all, but I haven't found them to be as nasty-sharp as people have said (it's not like I have any basis for comparison, though). Maybe I've just had good luck...?

When you say "old style" what do you mean?

Just the DE style with no door opening on top (I assume that's what you mean by non TTO). It looks to me like it would be simpler to keep clean, but I could be mistaken.

I have a nice gold tech. Gives me nice shaves everytime. I do not think it is as good as my Gem Micromatic..... but I will Admit I have fallen in love with that SE beauty.

If your Fatboy is always on 9 and you want to switch to an old style three-piece, you will be disappointed. I don't know of any non-adjustable razor that is equivalent to an adjustable on 9. You are probably a candidate for straight razor shaving.

If your Fatboy is always on 9 and you want to switch to an old style three-piece, you will be disappointed. I don't know of any non-adjustable razor that is equivalent to an adjustable on 9. You are probably a candidate for straight razor shaving.

I'm actually already making arrangements to get one, but I'll obviously have late mornings when I need to shave quick and dirty, which a DE can be great for.

None as aggressive? :eek: What about open-combs and slant-bars?

Top Bottom