What's new

Old Spice Classic vs Old Spice Classic

I have 2 bottles of Old Spice that look different and smell different, but they are both made by Proctor and Gamble after they took over Shulton. I know they are the P&G versions and in plastic bottles, but they do smell differently.

Here are the two images:

This bottle I received from my grandfather's estate. It is a P&G bottle and he had it for a couple of years. This one smells much better.

$31Pv1C9S6pL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

This bottle I received new within the last year. It is also a P&G bottle.
$001204401069M.jpg

Maybe I am missing some simple explanation.

Last edited:
I have $5 here that says the bottle from your grandfather was from when they were still using Shultons formula and the other bottle is from after the reformulation.

I know this is an slightly old thread but I think I have an answer.
The difference in the bottles is that one is an early plastic bottle and the other is the one you can get everywhere. One is when P&G just switched from glass to plastic and was still using the shulton formula and plants, they are made in the USA. And the newer ones are which P&G switched production to Canada for the Old Spice Aftershaves and Colognes.

The US bottle is on the left. Canada Made on the right.
$2013-02-25_21-53-53_436-1.jpg

Also the US made doesn't have Caster Oil in it, like the Canada one does. Left is the US made box (US bottle doesn't have ingredients list on it) and left is Canadian Bottle
$2013-02-25_21-54-36_802.jpg

I saw another thread that compared Shulton with P&G, I recently had the fortune(misfortune) to aquire a vintange set of Old Spice AS/Cologne. The price on the box set was $4.95 so it had to be old.
Anyway, I just did a blind smell test with the wifey, and my mom-in-law, vintage vs. new. Both said there was a difference in the smell, both preferred the vintage Shultan.
Case closed and I guess I will use the vintage tonite.
Bil

Last edited:
Top Bottom