What's new

Old Spice - Original vs Classic?

The Indian "Rubicon" version was similar to the old Shulton formula, but I believe that's changed in the last few years and it's basically the same as the current "Classic" now.

So that Old Spice is made in India and is the closest you'll get to the OG Shulton scent under the Old Spice brand these days. They just recently switched from ceramic bottles to those red plastic ones so I can't tell you exactly if the scent was impacted from that as the ones I have are all ceramic. P&G has been steadily moving the Indian scent towards the US one, sadly and this may be a visual representation of that move.

Just as a quick break down that you didn't as for. There's three types of Old Spice made in the world under the watchful eye of P&G:

1. US Old Spice comes in an off-white plastic bottle and is called Classic, as you noted. It's the furthest from the original Shulton scent. It isn't a bad scent at all, but it's not the Old Spice of the heyday of Old Spice.
2. European Old Spice made in Italy comes in a white bottle and is called Original. It's a nice splash and much closer to the original Shulton but is a bit harsher to my nose.
3. Indian Old Spice used to come in the classic ceramic off-white bottle but now seems to be in this red plastic one (though you can still get the ceramic one on eBay but it's getting harder and they'll send you the atomizer version a lot). This is by far the closest right now.
Thanks for the great writeup, cowzilla3! Much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d like to chime in as Old Spice has been my go to daily aftershave 90% of the time. This was this morning’s shave
IMG_6446.jpeg

This Old Spice Original is the Italian version (glass bottle).

IMG_6374.jpeg

These (from left) Old Spice Aftershave and Cologne, Shulton, Clifton NJ, probably a Father’s Day gift from my kids a million years ago. Next the Classic version (plastic bottle) from the shelves of the local Acme Supermarket, and lastly Old Spice Original (glass bottle) Indian version.

To my untrained nose, these versions are so close that without the bottle for reference, I couldn’t distinguish one from the other.

Is there a difference in the Shulton Clifton version? Yes there is, but it’s not necessarily better or worse. It’s as good as the others.

I can grab any version, splash it on, and SHMBO knows it’s Old Spice!!

Again, that’s just me…YMMV

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’d like to chime in as Old Spice has been my go to daily aftershave 90% of the time. This was this morning’s shave
View attachment 1669861
This Old Spice Original is the Italian version (glass bottle).

View attachment 1669865
These (from left) Old Spice Aftershave and Cologne, Shulton, Clifton NJ, probably a Father’s Day gift from my kids a million years ago. Next the Classic version (plastic bottle) from the shelves of the local Acme Supermarket, and lastly Old Spice Original (glass bottle) Indian version.

To my untrained nose, these versions are so close that without the bottle for reference, I couldn’t distinguish one from the other.

Is there a difference in the Shulton Clifton version? Yes there is, but it’s not necessarily better or worse. It’s as good as the others.

I can grab any version, splash it on, and SHMBO knows it’s Old Spice!!

Again, that’s just me…YMMV
My thoughts exactly. I've used OS for at least 50 years and the only difference I've noticed is that the current is a bit less bold but the scent is exactly the same. Personally I prefer the current. It does seem that they are charging the same price for a smaller bottle though.

I have some old stuff and the Walmart stuff. I can't distinguish one from the other...I only know that both are unmistakably Old Spice.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I envy those who smell no difference between The greatness of Shulton and other modern versions. Modern Old Spice’s reformulation is much more floral then spicy to me; where the vintage Shulton shines with spicy.

While I have obtained several lifetimes of the greatness that is Shulton, I see nothing bad with the modern version. While I do agree that they all have a foundational scent profile that any and all could recognize as “Old Spice” in my opinion; which may be or possibly is a biased opinion?

They are not the same.

So that Old Spice is made in India and is the closest you'll get to the OG Shulton scent under the Old Spice brand these days. They just recently switched from ceramic bottles to those red plastic ones so I can't tell you exactly if the scent was impacted from that as the ones I have are all ceramic. P&G has been steadily moving the Indian scent towards the US one, sadly and this may be a visual representation of that move.

Just as a quick break down that you didn't as for. There's three types of Old Spice made in the world under the watchful eye of P&G:

1. US Old Spice comes in an off-white plastic bottle and is called Classic, as you noted. It's the furthest from the original Shulton scent. It isn't a bad scent at all, but it's not the Old Spice of the heyday of Old Spice.
2. European Old Spice made in Italy comes in a white bottle and is called Original. It's a nice splash and much closer to the original Shulton but is a bit harsher to my nose.
3. Indian Old Spice used to come in the classic ceramic off-white bottle but now seems to be in this red plastic one (though you can still get the ceramic one on eBay but it's getting harder and they'll send you the atomizer version a lot). This is by far the closest right now.

Another option is to buy a dupe made by an artisan.

The red bottles have been available in India since at least the late 2000's, when I bought one. Probably a lot longer considering these assumedly US bottles:
1687317822792.png

"Plastic travel bottles were introduced in 1963...variations of packaging of this type travel bottle were made until 1979."

I hadn't bought it in a very long time, and when I did, I immediately noticed how weak it had become. It wasn't my imagination or an inaccurate memory, for sure. Also, the new bottle is not very attractive.

I also can tell the difference between Shulton and the latest formulation, but agree that they are still very close. The older one is deeper, richer, and longer lasting to my nose.

On a side note, Old Spice Original/Classic is very popular among pre-teens apparently. My twelve-year old boy had me buy him some Old Spice deodorant and cologne. I got a big kick out of that.

Top Bottom