What's new

Old school dessert

She would take Graham crackers end to end in a rectangular baking dish. On top of the first layer she would put vanilla pudding. Another layer of crackers with chocolate pudding on that layer. Two more layers and the in the refrigerator. The crackers would absorb the liquid and would soften a bit so it was easy to cut.

Ah, like a layer cake with softened graham cracker inserts. Cool!

and I was just getting tired of 'plain old pudding'! This graham puddin pie should make the next few days of deserts go by wonderfully!

Yes, please share!
I would LOVE to see an authentic Austrian stollen recipe!

Kal's Mom's Stollen

3 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, frozen, cut into small cubes
1 cup dry cottage cheese
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup currants (raisins or mixed fruit)
2 whole eggs

blend dry ingredients
fold in cut butter
fold in cottage cheese
fold in nuts & fruit

dough will be dry

lay out on baking sheet and form by hand into an oval (approximately 10" long x 5" wide x 2" tall)

bake at 350 middle rack 45 min or until done (golden brown)

dust with icing/confectioners sugar

optional:
-1 teaspoon almond extract or
-1/4 cup dark rum

once baked let cool, wrap tightly in a couple layers of tinfoil
its better if aged a couple of months before eating​

Enjoy :)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
When I visited Hong Kong, I found this little mom-n-pop restaurant that served the best custard buns ...

proxy.php

The filling was still mostly liquid, and they were fantastic. Usually, when I get them in North America, the fillings are cooked to hardness ... not good.

proxy.php

Most store bought look more like this:
proxy.php

I get it from the store, but I never pay for it.

It's stollen.

Kal's Mom's Stollen

3 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, frozen, cut into small cubes
1 cup dry cottage cheese
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup currants (raisins or mixed fruit)
2 whole eggs

blend dry ingredients
fold in cut butter
fold in cottage cheese
fold in nuts & fruit

dough will be dry

lay out on baking sheet and form by hand into an oval (approximately 10" long x 5" wide x 2" tall)

bake at 350 middle rack 45 min or until done (golden brown)

dust with icing/confectioners sugar

optional:
-1 teaspoon almond extract or
-1/4 cup dark rum

once baked let cool, wrap tightly in a couple layers of tinfoil
its better if aged a couple of months before eating​

Enjoy :)

I think I am gonna give this a shot over the holidays. Sounds great. Thanks for the recipe, and tell your mom danke schoen, and if she has a Gugelhupf recipe she could share, I'd love to see it too. : )

I think I am gonna give this a shot over the holidays. Sounds great. Thanks for the recipe, and tell your mom danke schoen, and if she has a Gugelhupf recipe she could share, I'd love to see it too. : )
You're welcome and mutter says bitte (had a Dwight Schrute moment there)

And yes she has a gugelhupf recipe, two actually. One with yeast and one without. I think she said the one without yeast is Viennese (where she's from) and the one with yeast is the rest of Austria/Germany/Czechs.

She'll look it up in the next day or so. She did say they're probably in metric so be prepared for some converting. And apparently any old bundt pan will do, needs to be a specific gugelhupf pan. Dunno, they look an awful lot alike to me but then I'm most certainly not a baker.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
auk1124:
173888-e8a6427eafe209d51bd2ad6482f87a42.jpg
Traditional Mincemeat Pies has been my favorite holiday pie since I was a little boy. Growing up in East Lansing, Mich, I remember my Mom chopping & mincing the suet & beef, combining the dried fruits, nuts, brandy & spices to 'rest' for days before final pastry assembly and baking! :w00t:

Sometimes, I like it served with brandy cream (I fold a little sugar and brandy gently into fresh whipped heavy cream). :thumbsup:

proxy.php

or served warm w/ a slice of Cheddar cheese...;

pie-with-cheese-jpg.867916
"Pie without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze". Park Benjamin, Sr.

auk1124:
173888-e8a6427eafe209d51bd2ad6482f87a42.jpg
Traditional Mincemeat Pies has been my favorite holiday pie since I was a little boy. Growing up in East Lansing, Mich, I remember my Mom chopping & mincing the suet & beef, combining the dried fruits, nuts, brandy & spices to 'rest' for days before final pastry assembly and baking! :w00t:

Sometimes, I like it served with brandy cream (I fold a little sugar and brandy gently into fresh whipped heavy cream). :thumbsup:

proxy.php

or served warm w/ a slice of Cheddar cheese...;

pie-with-cheese-jpg.867916
"Pie without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze". Park Benjamin, Sr.

Wow, now that is Really old school! I have never had mincemeat. I do not eat red meat so it is probably something I will never have, but the idea of a suet pie as a dessert is fascinating. Looks pretty tasty too!

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
You're welcome and mutter says bitte (had a Dwight Schrute moment there)

And yes she has a gugelhupf recipe, two actually. One with yeast and one without. I think she said the one without yeast is Viennese (where she's from) and the one with yeast is the rest of Austria/Germany/Czechs.

She'll look it up in the next day or so. She did say they're probably in metric so be prepared for some converting. And apparently any old bundt pan will do, needs to be a specific gugelhupf pan. Dunno, they look an awful lot alike to me but then I'm most certainly not a baker.

Yes, my Czech family uses yeast for gugelhupf. Seem to remember the pan being very thin aluminum.

Mother Kal's Gugelhupf

Gugelhupf form - buttered and floured
5 eggs
250g white sugar
zest from one lemon
280g sifted all purpose flour
250g melted butter
50g blonde raisin
40g slivered almond

In a double boiler with simmering water mix the eggs, sugar & lemon zest
Over heat whisk until very thick and foamy
Remove from heat and continue to whisk until stiff
Fold in butter
Fold in flour
Fold in raisins & almonds

Into preheated 350F oven for ~one hour
Invert pan when still warm
Finish with a dusting of icing sugar

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Thanks. That looks about right as far as what we made. It's been a long time though.

Thanks for the recipe. My family will enjoy this for Christmas!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Wow, now that is Really old school! I have never had mincemeat. I do not eat red meat so it is probably something I will never have, but the idea of a suet pie as a dessert is fascinating. Looks pretty tasty too!
auk1124:
plus-one-png.797576
...and I'm looking for my Mom's recepie (I don't remeber, but I bet she 'snuck-in' a can or two of mincemeat pie filling for 'good measure'), but I'm going to call Mom if I don't find it.
proxy.php

173893-01ff1b2a6230f2823e285e95cf432cbf.jpg
"Mince[meat] pie,...arouses curiosity from the mystery attaching to it. Its popularity shall never wane until faith is lost in sight". Montpelier Argus

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Let her know she's appreciated.

Czech-Austrian lineage. Most of my family's recipes were written down in Czech, if at all. They are probably with one of my cousins now, no idea. I never learned Czech but I did learn from them how to cook by taste, not recipe. I remember most of the ingredients and how they tasted so it's just a matter of experimentation until I unlock the secrets. I'm not ashamed to take a little help from time to time either :)

Just had some scratch chocolate pudding, soon yummy

Somewhere or another I have a recipe for scratch butterscotch pudding that I've been meaning to try out.

The old fashioned simple stuff is really the best. I recently made my mother in law a spice cake with cream cheese icing for her birthday, and she told my wife it was the best she's ever had. My wife tried a slice and declared that it was going to be her birthday cake too. It was darn good if I say so myself.

A very simple cake to make, and it definitely has that old fashioned classic spice taste. I stole it from Sally's Baking Addiction, a very reliable cake and baking blog.

Sally's Spice Cake (paraphrased and tweaked slightly)
  • 2 and 1/2 cups (312g) all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 and 3/4 cup (350g) packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup (180g) unsweetened applesauce
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup grated apple (about 1 medium apple) 1 Tablespoon molasses (I used blackstrap)
Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 8 ounces (224g) full-fat block cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3 cups (360g) confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C)
  2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and other spices together in a large bowl. Set aside.
  3. Whisk the oil, brown sugar, applesauce, eggs, vanilla extract, and molasses together in a medium bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Fold in the grated apple until combined.
  4. Spread batter into two greased 9 inch cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  5. Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool completely.
  6. Make the frosting: In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together on high speed until smooth and creamy. Add confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and salt. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then switch to high speed and beat for 2 minutes.
  7. Assemble the layers and frost as normal. Like all good spice-based cakes, this one is even better if you refrigerate it overnight before serving, as the spice flavors will deepen.

Top Bottom