What's new

Old school dessert

20181028_200339.jpg
An old southern dessert. Buttermilk pie with hand-whisked whipped cream.

Grab a whisk, a bowl, and some whipping cream, and whip to stiff peaks. Your respect for those old ladies from days gone by will go way up. Those ladies were bad to the bone.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice. My mother made me homemade old school banana pudding when I came to visit. You know the one on the side of the vanilla wafer box...except with fresh ingredients.

Mom made a kaiserschmarrn when I was home for Thanksgiving.

Was struggling for how to describe it, wikipedia calls it a "shredded pancake" but its more airy and souffle-like than a pancake. It can be served savory as an entree or sweet as a dessert. Mom served it as the latter with apricot compote. Not hers in the pic but similar
201801_3_l.jpg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
What is the filling? Something like a custard?

Whatever it is, it looks mighty tasty.

Yes, it's pretty much a buttermilk custard with a little bit of lemon and nutmeg or mace or cinnamon or something like that. Nothing fancy, but very tasty.

What is the filling? Something like a custard?

Whatever it is, it looks mighty tasty.

Buttermilk, a little flour, eggs, sugar, vanilla and lemon baked to a custard. Not my favorite pie, but a simple pantry-clearer that is better than the sum of its parts (like most good old school recipes). I had some buttermilk and lemons that needed to be used up.

The lemons can be a bone of contention: some purists seem to poo-poo any heavy use of them in buttermilk pie, but I like em. And I had some that needed using, so win-win for me.

Nice. My mother made me homemade old school banana pudding when I came to visit. You know the one on the side of the vanilla wafer box...except with fresh ingredients.

Not sure if it is an appalachian thing or not, but try an old school banana pudding with brown sugar instead of white sugar sometime, and with browned meringue on top instead of whipped cream. It is mind-blowingly good. My grandma made it that way and I still judge all banana puddings against hers.

Mom made a kaiserschmarrn when I was home for Thanksgiving.

Was struggling for how to describe it, wikipedia calls it a "shredded pancake" but its more airy and souffle-like than a pancake. It can be served savory as an entree or sweet as a dessert. Mom served it as the latter with apricot compote. Not hers in the pic but similar
View attachment 923730

Looks great. I am seriously contemplating trying to make a stollen for christmas. Germanic baked goods are in my opinion some of the best in the world. The French claim to be the best, but for my money, the German bakers trounce them.

Looks great. I am seriously contemplating trying to make a stollen for christmas. Germanic baked goods are in my opinion some of the best in the world. The French claim to be the best, but for my money, the German bakers trounce them.
Thanks, and couldn't agree more. Mom is from Austria so lots of good baking. If you don't already have a recipe for stollen I can get you her's.

Just chatted with Mom, she'll get the recipe and in the next day or two will translate it to English.

It does produce a slightly different version than any I've seen from a commercial baker. Those tend to be less dense and more cake like in their consistency and appearance. Mom's is more dense (I'm told because her recipe uses cottage cheese) and even the top surface retains a rougher texture vs. something smooth you'd get from a cake batter.

To give you an idea.....her's looks like this:
proxy.php

Most store bought look more like this:
proxy.php

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Not sure if it is an appalachian thing or not, but try an old school banana pudding with brown sugar instead of white sugar sometime, and with browned meringue on top instead of whipped cream.

The banana pudding I grew up with always had a browned meringue on top. I was a little thrown when I first saw and had banana pudding with whipped cream on top. They are two different animals, aren't they--just like cream and meringue pies.

I'm pretty sure it always was made with white sugar, but brown sugar sounds terrific!

When I was growing up one of the favorites was something my mother called refrigerator pie. It consisted of Graham crackers with vanilla and chocolate pudding in separate rows. My mother would have four total rows and then top it off with whipped cream. It would set in the refrigerator for a few hours and then she would serve it.

When I was growing up one of the favorites was something my mother called refrigerator pie. It consisted of Graham crackers with vanilla and chocolate pudding in separate rows. My mother would have four total rows and then top it off with whipped cream. It would set in the refrigerator for a few hours and then she would serve it.

I'm having a hard time visualizing how your mom did this - did she separate the rows of pudding with graham crackers standing on end? This one sounds deceptively difficult to me. I can't picture how she put the dessert together without it blending into a mess. Sounds like a cool dessert.

The banana pudding I grew up with always had a browned meringue on top. I was a little thrown when I first saw and had banana pudding with whipped cream on top. They are two different animals, aren't they--just like cream and meringue pies.

I'm pretty sure it always was made with white sugar, but brown sugar sounds terrific!

For comparison to your family's banana pudding:

Brown Sugar Banana Pudding

2 cups light brown sugar
2 heaping tablespoons of ap flour
2 egg yolks
2 cups whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 stick unsalted butter
Bananas and vanilla wafers to taste

Mix brown sugar and flour. In a sauce pan, beat egg yolks, add milk, butter, and vanilla. Add flour and brown sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat until thick. In a clear casserole dish, lay one layer of vanilla wafers, add half of pudding mixture, layer with banana slices. Repeat - wafers, then rest of pudding, then sliced bananas on top.

Top with meringue: 4 egg whites, beaten until stiff, add two tablespoons of white sugar to egg whites and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar. Pour over banana pudding, spread to edges of casserole dish, brown meringue in a fast oven.

This is an old rural Kentucky recipe, so far as I know. It is definitely not what most people expect, with that brown sugar and meringue... Unlike most banana puddings, this one is best when still warm from the oven, imo.

Edited to add a note on dish size: the "casserole dish" mentioned in the recipe must have been on the small side. This is not a huge dessert. You will have to experiment with dish sizes to find something that works for this if you try it, start with about a eight or nine inch dish and see if that works. Make sure your meringue covers the pudding to the edges of your dish.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time visualizing how your mom did this - did she separate the rows of pudding with graham crackers standing on end? This one sounds deceptively difficult to me. I can't picture how she put the dessert together without it blending into a mess. Sounds like a cool dessert.
She would take Graham crackers end to end in a rectangular baking dish. On top of the first layer she would put vanilla pudding. Another layer of crackers with chocolate pudding on that layer. Two more layers and the in the refrigerator. The crackers would absorb the liquid and would soften a bit so it was easy to cut.

Top Bottom