What's new

Ok wait a min, if Yardley soap is considered good, then these others should also be?

I sometimes use Yardley English Lavender soap just for a nice change from the all natural varieties I normally use. I knew Yardley's ingredient list was pretty good, better than alot of what's out there really. So the other day while at the supermarket I compared Yardley's ingredients with Jergens Mild Soap and Ivory. It appears to me that all 3 really aren't all that different. Have a look....

Yardley English Lavender

Ingredients:

Sodium Tallowate
Water
Sodium Cocoate
Glycerin
Fragrance
Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil
Sodium Chloride
Titanium Dioxide
Tetrasodium EDTA
Iron Oxides

Jergens Mild Soap

Ingredients:

Sodium Tallowate and/or Sodium Palmate
Aqua
Sodium Cocoate and/or Sodium Palm Kernelate
Glycerine
Sodium Chloride
Parfum
Coconut Acid
Tallow Acid
Tetrasodium EDTA

Ivory

Ingredients:

Sodium tallowate and/or sodium palmate
Water
Sodium cocoate
Sodium palm kernelate
Glycerin
Sodium chloride
Fragrance
Coconut acid
Palm kernel acid
Tallow acid
Palm acid
Tetrasodium EDTA

So wouldn't all these be just as good as one another? (I know I know...buy them, try them, YMMV) :001_tongu

I don't know about the Yardley's for the American market but the Yardley's made in England is a superior bath soap.

I used Ivory for years before converting to Yardley last month. They ARE different to me; Yardley feels so slick, and doesn't dry out my skin. I suspect the operative words are 'and/or' as in

Sodium Tallowate and/or Sodium Palmate

Either there's very little or no sodium tallowate in Ivory, and this would be legal because it fits the description.

It was Yardley that inspired me to buy Tabac. Tabac beat my Cade soap and TOBS sandalwood cream easily in lather quality.

The Yardley soaps typically found in US stores have no connection with Yardley of London.

Al raz.

I buy the American made English Lavender in two packs. The wrapper says, "Yardley London Since 1770 and there's a little blurb there about "William Yardley's 17th century tradition," yadda yadda so I think there must be some kind of connection to Yardley of London.

I've used both the English and American made versions of English Lavender and I think the American franchise is making a better product. As we know, in order to fall in line with EU regulations a lot of personal grooming products went through re-formulations. Yardley soap was one of them, dropping the tallow. Sodium Tallowate is still the first ingredient in the American bars and it really does make 'em better.

Out of the three Denis listed I'd rank Ivory at the bottom, Jergens in the middle and American made Yardley's first by a mile.

Les

As far as Ivory soap goes, it's a wonderful example of making a selling point out of a defect. "99 44/100% pure" soap...what's missing? The glycerin! The new formulations have added back more glycerin than before, but Ivory has always been on the drying side, imo.

Most soaps contain similar, if not exactly the same, basic ingredients but there's a world of difference between the various types. The quality of the raw materials,
scent, the amount of glycerin: it's all important.

+1. As usual, Michelle has the correct answer.

There are only two soaps in my house. I use Ivory and my wife only uses Jergen’s. I use Ivory in the shower for my whole body. I wash my hair, face and body with it. I do have oily hair and skin, so it works out great for me. Everyone complements my hair. Ivory makes a lavender scent version as well, but I will have to try Yardley’s.

On a slightly different topic, I noticed that Williams Shave soap contains almost all the same ingredients as Ivory. I did a side by side lather test with both of them and the result was pretty close. I have not shaved with the Ivory yet. I enjoy the scent, lather, and lubrication of Tabac and Proraso far more than Ivory or Williams.

Grew up using Ivory and still do use it with a rotation of some other soaps. Right now I've got the Ivory with Aloe and I don't find it drying at all, quite nice actually. I remember as a kid in the 70's begging Dad to try something else like Zest or Irish Spring, but money was tight and Ivory was the cheapest. Switched to gels when I was 18, and now have come back to bars, and Ivory. Go figure.

I don't think tallow is all that relevant for bath soaps. I do enjoy some of the inexpensive tallow based greek soaps, particularly since I can get them in Musk scent. They're good but not great. They, however, don't hold a candle to non-tallow Nesti Dante or Pre d'Provence soaps.

I don't think tallow is all that relevant for bath soaps. I do enjoy some of the inexpensive tallow based greek soaps, particularly since I can get them in Musk scent. They're good but not great. They, however, don't hold a candle to non-tallow Nesti Dante or Pre d'Provence soaps.

I like the Nesti Dante very much. If I can't get the English Yarley's that is what I use.

The American version of Yardley's is a great soap. Smells great, moisturizes, feels great. Ivory is a good soap but it's very drying and has kind of a sterile scent.

Very interesting what you all have said so far. I think the nail was hit right on the head when it was stated that ingredient lists might be similar, but the quantity/quality of the ingredients used factors heavily in the soaps performance.

If I can't get the English Yarley's that is what I use.

Dave, please post a link to the Yardley you're referring to. You got me all confused. :tongue_sm I use Yardley of London English Lavender, but you seem to be talking about something else.

So it is this ? or this ? :001_smile

I use the first one Yardley of London and pay a buck a bar at the Dollar Store. The other I can get at a local Pharmacy but they want approx $15 for two huge bars.

Last edited:
I buy the American made English Lavender in two packs. The wrapper says, "Yardley London Since 1770 and there's a little blurb there about "William Yardley's 17th century tradition," yadda yadda so I think there must be some kind of connection to Yardley of London.

I've used both the English and American made versions of English Lavender and I think the American franchise is making a better product. As we know, in order to fall in line with EU regulations a lot of personal grooming products went through re-formulations. Yardley soap was one of them, dropping the tallow. Sodium Tallowate is still the first ingredient in the American bars and it really does make 'em better.

Out of the three Denis listed I'd rank Ivory at the bottom, Jergens in the middle and American made Yardley's first by a mile.

Les

Virtually every low cost or normal soap in Europe is still made with tallow such as Palmolive, Simple etc. This is not why the majority of the high end soaps are Palm oil based, the only upmarket tallow soap left is J&E Atkinsons.

Very interesting what you all have said so far. I think the nail was hit right on the head when it was stated that ingredient lists might be similar, but the quantity/quality of the ingredients used factors heavily in the soaps performance.

Dave, please post a link to the Yardley you're referring to. You got me all confused. :tongue_sm I use Yardley of London English Lavender, but you seem to be talking about something else.

So it is this ? or this ? :001_smile

I use the first one Yardley of London and pay a buck a bar at the Dollar Store. The other I can get at a local Pharmacy but they want approx $15 for two huge bars.

The first one is the American made tallow version, the second in the English made Palm Oil soap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom