What's new

OK Guys/Gals, what are the 3 best brushes witihin reach for budget households?

After having used the 2015 Whipped Dog 24mm synthetic twice, I think that is a worthy addition to everyone's den too.

In my opinion it is substantially better than the older Whipped Dog synthetic knots.

After having used the 2015 Whipped Dog 24mm synthetic twice, I think that is a worthy addition to everyone's den too.

In my opinion it is substantially better than the older Whipped Dog synthetic knots.

+1. And the WD is easier to splay than the Kent Infinity, another brush I like quite a bit. Either one is around $22 USD.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429441870.155309.jpg

Last edited:
What are 3 best brushes for a budget minded household? :biggrin1:

Please list top 3 and a quick details if possible.

The best brush for what purpose and what's the budget? Lathering directly on the face with cream or shave stick I'd go for a soft badger such as an Edwin Jagger best or the L'Occitane synthetic. For soap in a bowl or mug probably the firmer Omega 10049 boar hair which is the cheaper alternative or the Proraso Professional boar hair.

Thanks for the input. ....

I just received a Whipped Dog (WD) 22mm Synthetic with black resin handle and it is far superior to the older WD synthetic brushes. I still have to compare it more carefully with my Plisson and Muhle synthetics, first impressions (two shaves) are:
  • Backbone is in between Plisson and Muhle, but more like Plisson.
  • I always thought that the Muhle had softer tips, though it has much more backbone than the Plisson. Here again, I would say the WD seems to be in between, with softer tips more like the Muhle.
  • The WD brush lathers more like the Plisson and loads more like the Plisson, which loads like a natural fiber brush because it holds more water before adding soap than the Muhle.
  • Except for slight increase in backbone, WD face feel is more like Plisson.

Knot sizes and lofts of all three are fairly similar, as are handle size/shape all of which suit me well. The WD and Plisson are bulb shaped knots, while the Muhle is more of a fan shape. The Plisson seems most dense, followed by the WD, and then the Muhle. My impression is that this is mostly difference in fiber thickness. I like the simulated horn handle of the Muhle the best (strictly looks), and the wooden handle of the WD the least (too light in weight), but the differences in handle looks, shape, weight are minor. I don't know current costs, but when I bought them (over a year ago) the Plisson and Muhle were both in the $50 range shipped, and my new WD was $22 shipped.

Since Muhle and Plisson synthetics are among my favorite brushes, natural or synthetic, The WD Synthetic is making an outstanding first impression. And at this price I would heartily recommend it for either a newbie or an old hand wanting to try out a synthetic.

Alan

I just received a Whipped Dog (WD) 22mm Synthetic with black resin handle and it is far superior to the older WD synthetic brushes. I still have to compare it more carefully with my Plisson and Muhle synthetics, first impressions (two shaves) are:
  • Backbone is in between Plisson and Muhle, but more like Plisson.
  • I always thought that the Muhle had softer tips, though it has much more backbone than the Plisson. Here again, I would say the WD seems to be in between, with softer tips more like the Muhle.
  • The WD brush lathers more like the Plisson and loads more like the Plisson, which loads like a natural fiber brush because it holds more water before adding soap than the Muhle.
  • Except for slight increase in backbone, WD face feel is more like Plisson.

Knot sizes and lofts of all three are fairly similar, as are handle size/shape all of which suit me well. The WD and Plisson are bulb shaped knots, while the Muhle is more of a fan shape. The Plisson seems most dense, followed by the WD, and then the Muhle. My impression is that this is mostly difference in fiber thickness. I like the simulated horn handle of the Muhle the best (strictly looks), and the wooden handle of the WD the least (too light in weight), but the differences in handle looks, shape, weight are minor. I don't know current costs, but when I bought them (over a year ago) the Plisson and Muhle were both in the $50 range shipped, and my new WD was $22 shipped.

Since Muhle and Plisson synthetics are among my favorite brushes, natural or synthetic, The WD Synthetic is making an outstanding first impression. And at this price I would heartily recommend it for either a newbie or an old hand wanting to try out a synthetic.

Alan
Awesome review Allen the newbies will appreciate this

Top Bottom