What's new

Maseto brush : what to expect ?

I just bought on ebay the Maseto 100% silvertip (3 band) 26mm on a whim.
I quickly heard good thing about this brand but don't know that much.
I currently own a Simpson chubby 1 super badger and a Thater 26mm fan 2 band and am extremely happy of those two. I hope the Maseto will be a good add to those brushes.
What do you think guys ? :)

You are going to enjoy that brush. I have a few in my rotation and always wonder why I'm not using them more. For the price, Maseto brushes punch above their weight class.

marty

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have a few MS brushes. One or two have been given away.

10-28-23.Osprey.Mike's.MS.640.JPG

One of mine had a knot come out, but it's a simple and easy fix. It shouldn't be thought of as a deal breaker in the face of an otherwise very good brush.

Other than that one time problem these brushes are surprisingly good in the ways that matter to me. Not perhaps in the league of SV 2.0 or Mozingo and a few other, but the knots are plenty good and I like the handles.

Nice knot.

Nice handle.
MS.Beehive.H.Beach.2022.640.JPG

You'll notice I've used three bands and two bands. Both are plenty good knots. In my opinion Maseto brushes are better than Stirling and Yaqi. (I like those brands well enough, but I like MS more.)

Zenith Manchurians and three band Silvertips would probably be a step up from the MS.

I agree with Marty.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have had a few of their brushes and all have nice knots and exceptional craftsmanship. Personally, I like brushes with a little more loft than most of their offerings, but i like more loft than most people here. I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

I have had a few of their brushes and all have nice knots and exceptional craftsmanship. Personally, I like brushes with a little more loft than most of their offerings, but i like more loft than most people here. I'm sure you will not be disappointed.
Which brushes do you like with a higher loft/ more splay?

I have a few MS brushes. One or two have been given away.

View attachment 1768299

One of mine had a knot come out, but it's a simple and easy fix. It shouldn't be thought of as a deal breaker in the face of an otherwise very good brush.

Other than that one time problem these brushes are surprisingly good in the ways that matter to me. Not perhaps in the league of SV 2.0 or Mozingo and a few other, but the knots are plenty good and I like the handles.

Nice knot.

Nice handle.
View attachment 1768305

You'll notice I've used three bands and two bands. Both are plenty good knots. In my opinion Maseto brushes are better than Stirling and Yaqi. (I like those brands well enough, but I like MS more.)

Zenith Manchurians and three band Silvertips would probably be a step up from the MS.

I agree with Marty.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I also had a knot pop out of a Maseto two-band. As you suggest, an easy fix. Wonder if they have a QC problem in that area.

Otherwise, I echo your comments. Very nice brush. Handle is superbly crafted and the knot is really good, excellent backbone, nice face-feel.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I also had a knot pop out of a Maseto two-band. As you suggest, an easy fix. Wonder if they have a QC problem in that area.

Otherwise, I echo your comments. Very nice brush. Handle is superbly crafted and the knot is really good, excellent backbone, nice face-feel.

One of my little Christmas gift was a tube of silicon glue, JD Weld I think, to fix my MS beehive. I'll be reinstalling the knot sometime soon. I'm looking forward to using the brush again.

I'm sorry yours popped out, too, but not a big deal as it is a very easy fix.

Happy shaves,

Jim

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
not a big deal as it is a very easy fix.
I have never glued or reglued a knot but, given that even small differences in loft can greatly affect face feel, is it really an easy fix? I assumed that applying or using too much glue would increase the loft, or is the glue layer so thin that it makes no difference? Two of the same model of Simpson brush can have as much as +/- 5mm difference in lofts - I assume the handles are CNC made so the holes must be drilled to a standard depth, if the hairs themselves are a standard length, then the variance must be cause by the thickness of the glue layer - or have I got that wrong?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have never glued or reglued a knot but, given that even small differences in loft can greatly affect face feel, is it really an easy fix? I assumed that applying or using too much glue would increase the loft, or is the glue layer so thin that it makes no difference? Two of the same model of Simpson brush can have as much as +/- 5mm difference in lofts - I assume the handles are CNC made so the holes must be drilled to a standard depth, if the hairs themselves are a standard length, then the variance must be cause by the thickness of the glue layer - or have I got that wrong?

Holes can be drilled to lots of depths. A hole which is too deep can be filled with quarters or washers or cork to raise the loft. Obviously there are limits imposed by the construction of the knot, etc.

5-5-22.R41GS.SS.CK-6.70:30.640.JPG

On two occasions I've raised the loft of one of my brushes by pulling the knot out and adding quarters. The knot was originally installed by me with silicon so pulling it out was very possible albeit not as easy as I anticipated. I had to use Vise-Grips/locking pliers to pull the knot out.

I've not found it necessary to use a whole lot of glue.

(The knot still doesn't suit me. I don't think its loft was the problem.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Which brushes do you like with a higher loft/ more splay?
I usually make my own brushes so I can set them where I like. Of the purchased brushes, Kents are more to my liking. I really like Whipped Dog because I can by the knot and handle unembarrassed and set them as high as I can. One of my favorite brushes is a Whipped Dog 30 mm set with 70 mm loft.

I will for sure ! I also pulled the trigger on a Simpsons Chubby 2 best badger butterscotch :001_tt1:. I just bought it on the Simpsons website, 98£ instead of 150£ !

When I was putting together a few brushes, I remember reading that a very small amount a glue should be used and it should only increase the loft by about 1mm.

One thing to consider is the glue bump. I never thought too much this until I received a custom made brush with a very strong backbone (24/52). I measured the glue bump at 10mm. The loft was correct, but the glue bump made the brush unusable.

It's a good day when I learn something new. I didn't know you could embarrass a knot.

Chuckle.

Unassembled was the intended word. Spell check dictionary didn't recognize that word and substituted what it thought I wanted.

You can buy a Whipped Dog brush unassembled and set the loft where you want it.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Chuckle.

Unassembled was the intended word. Spell check dictionary didn't recognize that word and substituted what it thought I wanted.

You can buy a Whipped Dog brush unassembled and set the loft where you want it.
So I didn't learn anything new! Well, it was still a pretty good day, but I'm afraid you've taken the shine off it with this information. And worse - now I'm back to thinking I know everything. :eek2:

Top Bottom