What's new

Oh no!!!! Kent Travel Brush Down!!!!

Well doesn’t this suck? I dropped my lovely Kent Badger travel brush on a hotel room tile floor and kaboom! 😱

Kent no longer makes badger brushes, so I am SOL for a replacement.

So fellas… 2 part epoxy or Krazy Glue? Any advice about the best way to fix this? I know it won’t look perfect (and it is missing a small piece I couldn’t find) but I do want to put it back into my DOPP bag.

Thoughts?
IMG_6928.jpeg

That sucks. I would go with quick dry super glue. I glued a vacuum tube together that snapped in the middle expecting it to just snap again and it lasted longer than the vacuum (more than another year). This was a daily use vacuum in an office setting used by may so it was not treated with love. Just fit the pieces one at a time and do a dry run before using the glue. You won't get a second chance if you glue the wrong piece first or out of place. Best of luck

I think you got a bit lucky in that it's only the outer piece that was damaged. When the brush is inserted for storage, where does the free end of the knot land with respect to the cracked surfaces? Could the cracked end be faced-off and the tube made shorter without affecting the function of the piece? You could also just machine a completely new piece from stock. Personally, I'd prefer either of those options over the super glue.

I’m so sorry. What a shame.

While Kent silvertips were a thousand times better than any Simpsons brush, I do feel the Simpsons Major is a superior travel brush to the Kent TR - especially if you opt for Super hair for the Major. It’s a better quality handle and more attractively designed. A Simpsons Major with Super hair will also be cheaper than the few NOS Kent TR brushes you’ll find. The only downside to the Major (if it is a downside at all) is the knot is a bit smaller than the Kent. And of course Simpsons don’t give you the beautiful brush case, but then you still have your Kent case and it isn’t broken.

E37D9491-F3F2-4B2A-A306-79E158EDC154.jpeg

I see you are in Toronto. You might remember my thread a while back about finding a load of Kent badgers for sale in a Toronto barber shop, and I see you posted in it a few times. I didn’t see any TR models in their brush drawers but they had a lot of Kents and all in the original cellophane wrappers and at the original prices. The barber shop was called The Men’s Salon, in the mall underneath the Fairmont Royal York hotel. If you can’t find a replacement TR, perhaps you could still find something else to put a smile back on your face.

I’m so sorry. What a shame.

While Kent silvertips were a thousand times better than any Simpsons brush, I do feel the Simpsons Major is a superior travel brush to the Kent TR - especially if you opt for Super hair for the Major. It’s a better quality handle and more attractively designed. A Simpsons Major with Super hair will also be cheaper than the few NOS Kent TR brushes you’ll find. The only downside to the Major (if it is a downside at all) is the knot is a bit smaller than the Kent. And of course Simpsons don’t give you the beautiful brush case, but then you still have your Kent case and it isn’t broken.

View attachment 1748957

I see you are in Toronto. You might remember my thread a while back about finding a load of Kent badgers for sale in a Toronto barber shop, and I see you posted in it a few times. I didn’t see any TR models in their brush drawers but they had a lot of Kents and all in the original cellophane wrappers and at the original prices. The barber shop was called The Men’s Salon, in the mall underneath the Fairmont Royal York hotel. If you can’t find a replacement TR, perhaps you could still find something else to put a smile back on your face.

Thanks for this. My office is about 100yds from the Royal York and I still haven’t checked this place out. I will drop by next week for sure! 👍

Any other shops that sell quality gear in that area? When I do go to TO, the office is Yonge/King.
Not that I know of. The few places I have seen DT have been more like high end barbershops that sell obscure expensive products at full retail prices.

As an aside…. I stay at 1 King West (Corner of King/Yonge) every month or so for work after events. If you are a cocktail guy, the lobby bar at 1KW makes the best Old Fashioned I have ever had. Just amazing. 👍

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Not that I know of. The few places I have seen DT have been more like high end barbershops that sell obscure expensive products at full retail prices.

As an aside…. I stay at 1 King West (Corner of King/Yonge) every month or so for work after events. If you are a cocktail guy, the lobby bar at 1KW makes the best Old Fashioned I have ever had. Just amazing. 👍

I was afraid there weren't any unicorn shops out there :/

Thanks for the tip, I'm back in Toronto next month so I'll talk my boss into some Old Fashioned(s). I'm always at the Cambridge, which doesn't even have it's restaurant any more, and is slated to become condos.

My recommendation? See if you can rope a dentist into fixing it. No joke. I have a Plisson funny enough I bought that a chunk came off and he was a dentist and put it back together and it is done quite well. You can see the crack, but don't feel it or really see it. They did an excellent job. Asking a hardware store on adhesive types wouldn't hurt either, but doesn't look like too hard a repair.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
While Kent may no longer handle badger hair, they may still have the facilities to make a replacement handle/case if you ask them nicely. Failing that, if you can live without the logo, a small machine shop or someone with a hobby lathe, might be able to make a replacement.

For repairs, something like sugru might be worth a try, so you can mould an infill for the missing piece.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Well doesn’t this suck? I dropped my lovely Kent Badger travel brush on a hotel room tile floor and kaboom! 😱

Kent no longer makes badger brushes, so I am SOL for a replacement.

So fellas… 2 part epoxy or Krazy Glue? Any advice about the best way to fix this? I know it won’t look perfect (and it is missing a small piece I couldn’t find) but I do want to put it back into my DOPP bag.

Thoughts?View attachment 1748949
If there are only these two big pieces and they fit back into the area where they supposed to be, the repair is quite easy. I would recommend a very small amount of medium CA glue carefully spread over the interface of the cracked area on one side, either tube or the piece. Hold together for a bit while the glue sets. Do one piece at a time!!!
Making a new tube is not as easy as some may think. There needs to be a thread cut into the tube, so the brush part screws in.
This is not an easy task....I never attempt to do this.

Making a new tube is not as easy as some may think. There needs to be a thread cut into the tube, so the brush part screws in.
This is one of those things which seem simple in the beginning, but after trying to make one (or more), then it becomes clear it is not that easy and suddenly having more appreciation for the manufacturing process and the cost behind it.

If there are only these two big pieces and they fit back into the area where they supposed to be, the repair is quite easy. I would recommend a very small amount of medium CA glue carefully spread over the interface of the cracked area on one side, either tube or the piece. Hold together for a bit while the glue sets. Do one piece at a time!!!
Thanks Rudy!

Exactly what I did and it seems to be holding fine. Missing a piece and there are a few small chips, but it will work just fine. Looks much better in person!

B696C831-67C8-4433-A9C9-482E86400470.jpeg

Top Bottom