What's new

Of interest to Avon a/s users and Shulton fans

Someone on another thread pointed out that Avon Spicy very closely duplicates Shulton Old Spice. I hadn't noticed this before b/c neither is a favorite and don't wear them often. Today I compared Spicy to Shulton. He was dead on: the main difference to my nose is that Spicy is less powdery and amped the spiciness a bit. Other than that, there's no doubt Avon was copying Shulton's mix. Spicy is pretty common everywhere and pretty stable - pick up a bottle and see.

So that got me thinking: what other popular (at the time) frags did Avon try to copy?

The only other tests I've done so far have me convinced: Avon's Excalibur and Clint, which are similar woody/leathery frags, pretty closely resemble the vintage MEM English Leather I have. Of the two, Excalibur is closer. Neither one quite nails EL's mix but side by side sniff tests leave no doubt that's what Avon was shooting for (you'd think their Leather was meant to copy EL it but if it was, I'm not seeing it. It's just leathery. Others can correct me on that, though).

Given they're also from the same '60s time frame, I'm going to assume Tai Winds and possibly Windjammer aimed for that unfairly maligned Jade East/Hai Karate vibe. I've got both on hand and will know when I break out my old HK and see.

Nothing I've come across seems comparable to Oland, Wild Country or Deep Woods. As far as I can tell, these were intended to be unique Avon scents that don't copy bigger name drugstore brands. But you older gents will recall far more brands from the day that might match them.

If Avon's copycatting was common knowledge at the time - or is now - I've never heard of it. Yet it seems so obvious a move for them to make. It sure ain't coincidence.

You guys got other ideas of where Avon's a/s might have been copycatting better known brands?

Last edited:
Spicy IS very much like Shulton OS.....unfortunately Spicy went out of production before Shulton OS did :(

U can still find it though and I have a couple bottles in my Avon Stash ...good stuff!
Wp

At Charles Bronson Mandom application rates, that amount of Avon Spicy would be enough for 7.345 nights out listening to lounge piano music, or for 22.5 mock fist fights with your son.

I've not tried the stuff that I remember. I'll have to find some.

I'm surprised they didn't do a Brut knockoff.

Topgumby said:
I'd say Brut was at it's prime in the late Sixties to late Seventies.

I'll have to sniff Brut at the store but if nose memory is working right, Everest a/s resembles it somewhat, but then Everest resembles a lot of storebrand a/s to me. Just can't pin down which ones from memory.

I wonder if this is what I found a bottle of a few months ago...

I was in a thrift store and found a blue glass bottle shaped like some kind of a sailing ship all healed over and I immediately suspected that hopefully, if I was lucky, it would be full of old shulton old spice... One smell made me think I'd struck gold, and some classy fellow from the 70's had the sense to decant some OS into this cool sailboat! $2, woohoo!

On closer inspection, I noticed that the bottle says Avon on it and after many attempts to try and compare this scent to some old Shulton OS that I had, I realized that it probably wasn't OS. But it's awfully close, and wicked strong. Perhaps this is Avon Spicy?

Anyway, I'm going to have a shave and hit the blue sailboat when I'm done.

I wonder if this is what I found a bottle of a few months ago...

I was in a thrift store and found a blue glass bottle shaped like some kind of a sailing ship all healed over and I immediately suspected that hopefully, if I was lucky, it would be full of old shulton old spice... One smell made me think I'd struck gold, and some classy fellow from the 70's had the sense to decant some OS into this cool sailboat! $2, woohoo!

On closer inspection, I noticed that the bottle says Avon on it and after many attempts to try and compare this scent to some old Shulton OS that I had, I realized that it probably wasn't OS. But it's awfully close, and wicked strong. Perhaps this is Avon Spicy?

Cobalt blue clipper schooner type thing? Cap comes off one end? That's one of their best nautical bottles, as is the ship in the bottle - both would make great re-bottles for O.S. I got an empty sitting in the window over the kitchen sink, it's so nice.

Anyway, the times I've seen the clipper it's usually had Windjammer in it, which might be similar to O.S., I have not checked yet. Otherwise it could well be Spicy. Sandmountainslim might have a better idea on it.

Anyway, I'm going to have a shave and hit the blue sailboat when I'm done.
Get ready to feel the burn! :lol:

Last edited:
Here's one that came with Oland, surprisingly - I would NOT think that could be confused with O.S. but...

If I really liked O.S. I'd have already re-bottled it into Avon's ship in the bottle.

Here's one that came with Oland, surprisingly - I would NOT think that could be confused with O.S. but...

If I really liked O.S. I'd have already re-bottled it into Avon's ship in the bottle.

That blue one is it! Mine only has the cap on the bottle, the pointy end (the bowsprit?) is missing.

I used it today after one of the best shaves I've had in a long time- old Pomco slant head and an Astra Superior on one of Bob's Bull Mastiff handles with Tabac soap and my TOBS super badger brush. I splashed on some Dickensons WH while straightening up and finished with some of the Blue Boat Juice- It's a good sting, but a lot less than the other times I've used it!

The power of suggestion (and ASAD) can make your mind do crazy things, especially when you have a lead nose (like lead ear, when people are tone deaf, but for smell) like I do it's easy to get carried away. Now that I've had more experience with vintage Shulton and Indian OS, it's clear that this is not the same smell at all.

Maybe it's Oland or Windjammer, I have no idea. I'm not that picky anyway, I've yet to come across any one AS smell that I hate. I thought it smelled good as I wore it today, but I'm not going to try and describe it... lead nose!

i just purchased (for the low, low price of $1.99) some avon wild country. it smells nice. reminds me of clubman mixed with stetson.

its a shame there isn't a derek jeter aftershave. it would help me hit singles, play crappy defense and bang fading starlets.

I just went over to my parents house today and saw the Avon bottle that's been in one of the bathrooms for years. picked it up and it was a full bottle of Spicy. Gave it a try and it is a really nice scent. I agree that it is sweeter than Old Spice.
The viking horn bottle is older than I am. The scent was still nice and strong.

Last edited:
I used Brut off and one from the late 1960's till I got out of college in 1991. I got another bottle for Christmas 09 and started using it again.

I just bought some Spicy online, even though I have big VW bottle of it here already (and another of windjammer). These Avon bottles are so easy to find, and so many of them are full. Some sellers seem to think they are something special and charge an exorbitant amount for even an empty bottle, but many sellers are practically giving them away.

Top Bottom