What's new

October 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in, had been using the same setup of overlander/Noble Otter Noir et Vanille all week. This week I'm going to take a break from SWS and simply use what I please each day. I'm still figuring out which blades I like in the Overlander, although nothing DOESN'T work in it. Will try to document using pics more consistently.

Decided to return the Backland Osprey; can't get consistently good or close shaves with it, and it's annoying to adjust.

Excited to complete my first GRUME in a couple of days! its been a smooth ride this month, probably because I bought so much stuff last month...

November will be real test.

GRUME: 30/31

PXL_20231027_220428238.jpg
Hey Guys
Another great shave today. I paid careful attention to the hydration level in the lather and frequently rinsed the razor. I was surprised how easy it was to be in striking distance of BBS-land.
Please take care of yourself and each other.

Day 30, 96.8% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Rockwell 6S R5, Ti Handle, Astra SP #6
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

Used the Rockwell for a change. It's mild, but getting a near-BBS was not difficult. A light handle works better for me than the original.

Still in, we’re going to make it!
Today I participated in Micromatic Monday, and used a vintage blade. Here’s my post:
Today’s shave was again my favorite single edge, a Gem Junior 1912 series. This was my second attempt to revive my Vintage Gem Damaskeene blade. I used my Stag Sharpener blade holder and started honing with my finest grit knife whetstone. From there I went to my old Crown stone which I partially revived with a little elbow grease. Afterwards I stropped it on cow hide and horsehide strops. Although there is still room for improvement, I got a much better shave this time. No need to finish with another razor. I rate it an 8.9 / 10. I will continue to work on getting that Crown stone in shape, and see if I can get a better edge on that blade next time.
(I probably would have gotten that blade in much better shape this time if I hadn’t been distracted by a knife on my work bench that needed lots of attention. 😏 )

Date31.10.2023
365 daily shaves
304/365
OCtober31/31
Tabactober31/31
Lasta’s Blade Stash06/32

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW RFBFeather (2)Omega Proraso
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Tabarko (tallow)Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)9/10 (Some red spots)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Last day of not being in.

Summary - Second shave with a Feather. Also switched to a heavier handle. Best result I think, but slightly at the expense of comfort. Tomorrow is the start of NOCvember!

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Still in -- last shave in October 2023 -- MADE IT ...!!
I had my doubts along the way .... as late as last night I was perusing DE blades online, struggling not to push the button.

BRUSH: Semogue SOC 2-band (Best)
SOAP: Cella (brick)
RAZOR: Merkur 34 G
BLADE: Derby Usta (2nd)
A/S: Alum, Floïd Vigoroso
COMMENT: "... One man's Trash, another man's Treasure... ". Derby Usta this morning were simply outstanding..!!
My understanding is that Usta's are the same blade as Derby Extra's, just with a higher level of quality control, and mainly for the Turkish domestic market (though I could well be mistaken). So basically, a Derby Extra blade. In the Merkur 34. A very "smooth" and conservative setup. But boy oh boy ... it was FANTASTICALLY smooth, and yet super efficient...!
DFS verging on BBS.
This Merkur 34G was one of my very first DE razors, gives me a sense of "coming home" every time I use it.
Fitting end to this GRUME.
For all my adventures in Shavedom, the Merkur 34 remains a damned fine razor. No wonder it's so widely acclaimed. Quite ridiculous it is also widely considered a "beginner's" razor. We see it too rarely displayed by more seasoned shaving aficionados. But then, so many things are a ridiculous in the realm of Shavedom. I very nearly bought another 400 DE blades last night, only abstained because I had sworn to a bunch of like-minded that I wouldn't -- in October..!! How crazy is that ...!

IMG_0471_34G.jpg

Looks like a Rocca ... how do you like it ..?
I like it a lot. Paired with BIC it provides consistently close, smooth shaves with no irritations. Previously I shaved with Personna Platinum, but the BIC blade blows it out of the water.

The razor looks fine and is very well-made (stainless steel). The weight of the razor handle is perfect for me.

The only drawback may be the fact, there are no holes in the plate, which forces the user to rinse it more often.

Still in...!

20231030_084641.jpeg

I finished this month successfully with a lovely shave with this 1918 Gillette Old Type Pocket Edition (which I ever so rarely break out as this razor was gifted to me by @South Dakota Guy and @nicked78 (Greetings, if you happen to stop by!). The razor is forseseen to become a heierloom for my son, since he's born in 2018...).

Congratatulations to everyone who completed this month without following the wife into a pharmacy in a foreign country 🤣

See you on the other side!
Cheers, Friends!

Last edited:
Still in! I made it!!

Tuesday October 31, 2023
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
Brush: Dogwood Handcrafts Omega
Lather: Tabac
Razor: Gillette Styler
Razor: Henson AL13 Medium
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless

IMG_5682.jpg