SOTD #259/2021
26-10-2021

>> TALLOW TABAC TUESDAYS/SOCTOBER / OCtober <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura Cherry wood
Soap: Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac
Razor: Mühle R41 GS
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (4)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Tabac ASL, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Aqua Creme.

Two very smooth passes today, I chose a shallow angle with the R41 GS (this angle worked flawlessly and was nice). No nicks or irritation - just a great shave with a lovely lather and a fine BBS result.

Happy shaves!

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s shave
Yaqi Mellon on RazoRock aluminum handle
Bic Chrome Platinum (2)
Maggards 30mm synthetic brush
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: Stirling Naked and Smooth
Post-shave: alum block
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: refined shea butter

View attachment 1352576

Merkur 41c OC head / 47c Engine-turned handle
SOC
Varen soap n’ splash

Hangin’ in there for the home stretch. SOC is getting awesome; ends are splitting all over. Still on the fence about Varen. I think I like it, but it’s definitely different.
I’ve got the bath bar, which is usually how I check out Stirling scents, and yeah…I’ve described it as sticking my head in a bag of day old grass and weed clippings on a hot and humid day. It kind of appeals to me but I’m not sure why.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Delayed post due to COVID illness
OCtober 19-25 shaves
I’ve used the following two razors for the shaves: Gillette New Bostonian (New LC) and GEM MicroMatic Open Comb (MMOC).
I’ve used ARKO and Mike’s Hungarian Lavender (I heed strong and/or different scents to smell anything.)
Aftershave has been Mennen Skin Bracer and Stirling Bergamot Lavender. Each DE shave has been two WTG passes and each SE shave has been WTG/ATG for nice SAS/CCS shaves. Brushes have been a mix of Omega Boars and Paladin Badgers both make excellent performing brushes of that type.

The shaves have given me a few minutes each day to get out of bed and enjoy a normal routine.
Good news from the doctor today and I hope to be up and about by the end of the month.
Which is good news, I have lots of cool stuff from the B&B Battles Breast Cancer auction inbound and I just received the shipping notification on my first* Wolfman razor.

*Wife said something about first and last or something, something, pain. Not really sure, I was pretty heavily medicated.

Looking forward to getting back into the swing of things and enjoying your posts and commraderie soon.

Speaking of that, how cool is this?! Captain Pre-Capsize (Scott from Captain’s Choice) emailed me a bunch of inspirational quotes while I’m fighting this illness. Great quotes, great thoughtfulness, and exactly why I can’t wait to be back with you all as soon as I can.

Stay safe and healthy.
Tim
Glad to hear your on the rebound.

1918 Gillette Old Type / vintage Gillette Thin (2) / Cella / The Veg -- I haven't visited this razor in a long while. I want to like it because it's a nice, cased example, but the shaves I get with it (and my other thin cap Old Types) seem harsh and usually end with irritation and blood-letting/weepers, that my thick-cap OTs don't give me. Today, with the vintage carbon blade, a two-pass shave was very comfortable and what wasn't caught after the first pass was eliminated on the second w/touch ups. The big difference was no blood and no irritation and a wonderful post shave face-feel--reminiscent of a straight razor shave with a carbon steel blade. It makes me wonder if there's a "carbon steel" versus stainless steel effect going on. Finished with the Veg, which goes on strong but always seems to fade too fast...
1918 Pandemic.jpg

(Full disclosure, it's a "stock photo" taken months ago--I didn't use the Don Juans or the AoS brush, and I've added a period-correct silver blade case to complete the set which I think is a Richwood, but it's hard to read)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, OCtober 26th 2021

Razor: Razorock Old type open comb-Mfg 2015,milder range, have not used this beauty since the last OCtober possibly, put in a Kai blade and man this baby perform today. The Kai blade cranked it up a nice notch to my sweet spot for shaving, very comfortable shave. Use to be my old travel razor with a standard blade, hard to nick your self when in the tropical climates.
Blade : Kai SS (3) excellent blade, sharp & Smooth with excellent longevity. Extra wide by 4.5/1000 of a inch per side than a standard Gillette Astra blade. Gives milder razors a nice boost in efficentcy or for those who just enjoy blade feel in any razor.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum with sage & cedar wood, nice scent + great lather qualities. Have been using a water mister lately when mixing lathers and this has helped keeping this soap from being so airy IMO. Nice soap regardless.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm tuxedo knot, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: witch hazel cleanse + Ogallala Bayrum with sandal wood + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer lotion balm(scentless)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my RR old type OC with a Kai blade.
SOTD, Oct 26.2, 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I’ve got the bath bar, which is usually how I check out Stirling scents, and yeah…I’ve described it as sticking my head in a bag of day old grass and weed clippings on a hot and humid day. It kind of appeals to me but I’m not sure why.
Yep, that's about it. Very herbal. Patchouli maybe. Not so much oakmoss. I don't know if that's my nose or just the mix of fragrance oils in the batch. The aftershave is a little different; more lemongrass or something citrisy in the mix.

OCt 26 - how are these Goodwills alike?

Prep: Mama Bear's Haitian Vetiver
Stubble reduction: J.R.Torrey SR
Side by side:
>Goodwill 160 / Rapira Platinum Lux (5), ball end long comb with Black Hills Gold plating
>Goodwill 164 / Voskhod (5), figured cap, Old Type comb on an excellent @Rosseforp handle
Lather: Tabac stick / Semogue Owner's Club boar
After: alum, witch hazel, Stirling Vetiver witch hazel

8DE60DA8-9A63-4D5C-8883-FA8BC6523271.jpeg

Answer: they are Gillettes with unusual (but very different) blade registration features that rely on the blade itself to align the cap and guard. Otherwise, not much in common at all.

14C26821-0813-4AF5-90A0-5C6CFB3112B5.jpeg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Plisson-Joris Palladium Engraved
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (2)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Soap: MdC French Vetyver
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: Gillette Cool Wave (Splash)
035_21.jpg

I'm loving my shaves this week. I don't have to evaluate which razor is better. If you have to evaluate between razors it means they are vying between second and third place. Fatip is the undisputed King. Long live KBP! :punk:

Razor: Timeless Bronze OC .78
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless
Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Bay Rhum
Aftershave: Long Rifle Bay Rhum Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20210809_080737.jpg

Top Bottom