What's new

OCtober 2021

Razorock Gamechanger .68 OC
Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless (4)
Omega 10108 boar
Tabac stick
Aqua Velva Ice Blue
20211026_182542.jpg

Last night, I had shave #36 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. Again, the blade was held in place with a Fatip Open Comb Piccolo in nickel.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made my best lather with it, yet.

Prior to the shave, I showered with warm water and also used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. After I shook my brush to remove some water and picked up the soap puck in my left hand, I began swirling my brush across the top of the soap for 45 seconds before scooping up all the protolather left on the puck and transferring it to my Captain's Choice Seaworthy lather bowl. What I couldn't remove from my hands, I rubbed on my face.

Next, I rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some tap water and collected the soapy water in an empty cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the lather bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. Except when I held my razor really steeply against my face (to set the angle only), I did not feel my blade; this is how I like it. I wound up with a very smooth BBS shave.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue) and aftershave balm (Van der Hagen Post Shave Soothing Balm). I felt no sting from the alum block. I did feel a bit of sting from the alcohol in the splash, though.

This was my fourth time using the VDH balm. I think I used just a little bit less this time as it wasn't quite as "heavy"/greasy on my skin this time. Maybe I need to use less than a pea-sized amount. Still, I did perspire a bit more on areas of my face to which I applied the balm than areas without the balm. Also, I'm not sure if this is related to the balm, but I felt some small acne bumps on my chin earlier tonight.

All in all, I would give this shave a 99/100.

DCFA90BE-5D10-4C24-B933-FB4F5679D93E.jpeg

1911-ish Ever Ready Lather Catcher / GEM PTFE (?) / Williams and AV Splash -- Williams Wednesday! I used the homemade Williams shave stick again with a vintage Simpson badger with better results than the larger Surrey boar I used Monday. I have a slightly older ER LC with the small wooden handle that I like a bit better than this one. Although the handle is smaller, it's easier to grip and seems heavier than the thin hollow metal handle that's really light in the hand. So light it tempts one to want to use more pressure, but it's unnecessary, and a bad idea. Good bloodless shave to start the day!
ER Lather Catcher Williams AV shave.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I guess I should also try a shallow angle, I know for a time @Esox shaved shallow.
With my SC the angle is more blade dependent. With a fresh Feather, Gillette Yellow or Polsilver I prefer a shallower angle but with Derby Extra and most other blades I like a steeper angle. Very steep and with increased pressure with a Derby Extra. I can have a really great shave with a Derby in my SC.

Oct 27th: OC Shave #20 of 21 for the month

Gillette New SC / Pol-Silver SI (New)
Stirling Electric Sheep / 30mm Tuxedo
Halston Z14 AS
Nivea Post-Shave Balm
Halston Z14 Cologne/EDT

Results: Great BBS shave, and a welcome relief after irritating the rough shave from Saturday on Monday. Had to use a mild cart yesterday, just to clean up, and let the face calm down a bit, and came back with a smooth OC this morning.

Catching up on three OCtober shaves, all with the same Voskhod, in a NEW short comb, Semogue boar brush, Em’s Place soap.
  1. Cleaned up nice for a wedding on less growth than usual. Didn’t feel sharp but went fine. Couple cuts but nothing lasting.
  2. Slower, but good results (even viewed later at bedtime.) Expected more mustache cuts with the resistance I got, but very few. Maybe some irritation later, but maybe better than most? Hard to say. Haven’t really been in love with any shave from the NEW just yet. Maybe I’m still learning, although I’m not sure what.
  3. What a surprise! Went carefully and got a very nice bbs shave. Watched for any bumps I raised and made sure not to hit them twice on the same pass. Very few nicks, very little irritation. I’ve never even gotten two good shaves from a Voskhod, so I’m glad I didn’t pitch this one early!

OCt 26 - how are these Goodwills alike?

Prep: Mama Bear's Haitian Vetiver
Stubble reduction: J.R.Torrey SR
Side by side:
>Goodwill 160 / Rapira Platinum Lux (5), ball end long comb with Black Hills Gold plating
>Goodwill 164 / Voskhod (5), figured cap, Old Type comb on an excellent @Rosseforp handle
Lather: Tabac stick / Semogue Owner's Club boar
After: alum, witch hazel, Stirling Vetiver witch hazel

View attachment 1352756

Answer: they are Gillettes with unusual (but very different) blade registration features that rely on the blade itself to align the cap and guard. Otherwise, not much in common at all.

View attachment 1352758
So what's the verdict? Did you get a better/smoother/quicker/whatever shave from the old- or new-style Goodwill?

Top Bottom