What's new

OCtober 2021

Oct. 20
Razor: NEW SC
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (1)
Soap: Em's Place glycerin bay rum
Brush: Semogue boar
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Cat o' Nine Tails

I was excited to try the Astra SP in a different razor, as I've had bad experiences with them in every other razor I've tried. I keep trying because so many people sing their praises. Of course, YMMV, but what's odd is how many people test them side by side with Astra SS and find them very close. Astra SS is perhaps my favorite blade, Astra SP one of my least favorite. That held today, as I had a very rough shave, with a lasting burn, and stubble on the sides of my mustache I judged I couldn't clean up without a bloodbath. I've followed the laser-vs-ink-vs-counterfeit Astra threads, and I'm sure the blades are legit. Just one of those things, I guess. On to shave number two.

OCtober Shave #6

Pre: Shower
Razor: Karve CB Aluminum OC-C Plate
Blade: Tatra Platinum (1)
Brush: PAA StarCraft
Soap: Arko Shave Stick
Splash: Brut Classic
Face lather

58B4701D-0D29-4480-B47E-27BB1A1D49BB.jpeg

The Arko only gets occasional use, but it’s a great way to mix things up a little bit and it really delivers!
And the Brut just reminds me of being 14 again. I think the “lemon” and “floral” natures of these two pair together pretty well.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Taking a cue from our brother @Tanuki I decided that it was time for a good old-fashioned "Hollywood" shave. (That's a remnant of my long-ago military service. "Hollywood" meant you were taking more time than you strictly needed to do some part of the morning "Four S" routine: use the toilet, shave, shower and shinola.)

SOTD: Wednesday October 20, 2021 (OCtober 7st)
Razor(s): ATT S2, Feather SR kamisori
Blades(s): Astra SP (2), Kai Captain Titan Mild PINK (5)
Brush: RR Beehive
Soap: Yardley

IMG_0573[1].JPG

The Feather SR got the first pass then the S2 got everything else. The lather mop :) laid down a lovely carpet of groovy almond-scented slickness. Bathroom window open because it's still above -40 here and Canadians don't close the darn windows until it's at least -41. A nice mug of hot chocolate by the sink helped with the occasional recombobulation needs.

Shave a little, rinse a little, lather a little...we all do it. Ultimately a nice DFS.

O.H.

No fuss, no muss shave with the GC .84. A real good lather from the GD soap provided more than ample glide, slickness & protection. The combo produced a flawless BBS finish with good aromas around to boot.

Great shaves to all…

GC .84/Gillette 7 O’Clock Green-Fendrihan 24mm Tux B&C-Grooming Dept Barbershop soap-Razorock XXX a/s splash-Dior Fahrenheit Cologne

7B5B0049-B4DC-44E9-868B-64E0E8D7E43A.jpeg

Oct 20
20211020_173205.jpg
I can't imagine an OCtober without using a Gillette Old Type. The Old Type is the razor I used when I switched to DEs years ago. Gillette got it right so many years ago and so many times over the years. A very good DFS from a wonderful vintage razor. Used Arko soap and cooled the face with a good splash of Skin Bracer.

OCtober 20

Brush:
Yaqi Timber Wolf
Soap: Derby
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Razor: Gillette NEW long comb

If there's any scent to Derby soap, it's very subtle. The Yaqi brush produced plenty of quality lather. I used the same blade as yesterday, and confirm my statement yesterday that my NEW has much the same blade feel as my FOCS. I ended up with a good shave, but in all honesty, a bit short of DFS.

2021-10-20 19.35.08.jpg

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
9DF7C020-73C1-42A7-B703-18DF511A4F17.jpeg
PrePAA Cube 2.0 USA 🇺🇸
SoapNoble Otter The Noir et Vanille, USA 🇺🇸
BrushBGB The Driver Silver tip Fan Badger, Australia 🇦🇺
RazorPAA Ascension DOC, USA 🇺🇸
BladeShark Super Chrome, Egypt 🇪🇬
Post ShaveProraso Alum, Italy 🇮🇹, Thayers Witch Hazel, USA 🇺🇸
FragranceNoble Otter The Noir et Vanille, USA 🇺🇸
Rating8/10

Wednesday 20th OCtober.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Gillette Old Type, Astra SP #7
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Brut AS.

I like my modern stainless steel razors, but the Old Type delivers just as good a shave.

I was excited to try the Astra SP in a different razor, as I've had bad experiences with them in every other razor I've tried. I keep trying because so many people sing their praises. Of course, YMMV, but what's odd is how many people test them side by side with Astra SS and find them very close. Astra SS is perhaps my favorite blade, Astra SP one of my least favorite.

Isn't it weird how blade preference works? I had great results with Astra SP, so hastily got a stash of hundreds, in case they got discontinued or changed. The Astra SS I tried was sharp, but felt disappointingly rough. It's YMMV all right!:biggrin1:

OCt 20 || 2 x DC = OC + SB, I used the OC

Brush: small Vulfix boar
Prep: Col Conk Amber
Shave lather: Murphy&McNeil Ouroboros
Dueling dual comb duo (on @Rosseforp Ti handles):
> Fendrihan Mk1 MIM stainless
> RazoRock Lupo DC
Shared blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (2)
After: alum, Richard's Rub rinse, Bimini B splash
Fendrihan left | Lupo DC right
9ABE5649-DD2B-4B77-A98D-85D0E0D4A0DB.jpeg

3B67A07E-FF11-4DD0-8FEA-D4EADF932A80.jpeg

The MIM surface is far from smooth, but it has its own pebbly charm. Fendrihan did have the top of the cap polished to a mirror. The Fendi was of course much less expensive than the DC member of RazoRock's Lupo pack. They are both worthy, efficient razors, but the Lupo DC's superior blade clamping shows up in an easier, more comfortable ATG experience. The alum and the Osage Rub/Florida Water components of the badger blends did not distinguish between these two minimum irritation razors.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-Series (3)
Maggards 30mm synthetic brush
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: hot shower
Pre-shave: refined shea butter
Lather: Stirling Naked and Smooth
Post-shave: alum block
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: refined shea butter

Gillette New Standard Silver
Wizamet Iridium Super (1)
AoS Badger
La Toja, face lathered
Tabac aftershave
DD0AB27A-E59B-4163-902D-3FF61EFD4AE0.jpeg

A close shave with my most recent OC acquisition. Actually my second New Standard. I never got a good shave from the first. I attribute it to the razor being poorly replated and it throwing off the blade edge. But this one is in original condition and shaves fine. Hefty razor that feels good in the hand, but I have to be careful.

Top Bottom